none
windows 8 won't open a thing on my desktop

Question

• i bought windows 8 a bout a week ago i got used to it now but i got this 2 small problems:

First: the ar-sa laguage pack uncomplete these are still in english:

msconfig

regedit

perfomance monitor

resource monitor

local users and groups

shared folders

event viewer

task scheduler

Open \ Cancel Buttons when i use open a file in programs

the second is wierd:

when my pc boot up completly when ever i click computer or my user folder or even any thing else it won't open it , until i click on an empty space on the desktop or click the explorer button in the taskbar Or End dwm.exe from task manager (and it auto ReLaunch), i think the issue is related to outlook 2010 because i closed it before it start and everything was still fine, i did a repair and it didn't work.

wallpaperwon't change when i click (next wallpaper

• Edited by darcko Monday, November 26, 2012 6:58 PM
    Monday, November 26, 2012 1:14 PM

Answers

• no the syste creates on and delete the one before it every time.

i want to say thank you for being patient with me, i fixed the problem everything is working now i just wanted to fix it quickly so i was playing with a virtual machine registry and found that a key is missing i recreated it but now i can't remember it or where it was exacly so every on would use this page to find it.

Edit 1: just found it it was (a DWORD named: NoActiveDesktopChanges \ Value is: 1 hexadecimal) in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Screenshot:

• Edited by darcko Wednesday, December 05, 2012 7:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by darcko Wednesday, December 05, 2012 7:37 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by darcko Tuesday, December 11, 2012 5:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by darcko Saturday, January 05, 2013 12:29 PM
    Wednesday, December 05, 2012 7:00 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Regarding the second issue, please uninstall Outlook 2010 completely, then install again.

For the wallpaper issue, you may try to change another theme to test it. If no go, pls report back.

Juke Chou
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 3:09 AM
  • i removed it, and it still happening i have more details about the wallpaper issue when i change back to windows theme it won't change the wallpaper until i click refresh on the desktop. i am scaning the registry with advanced system care 6 at the moment and i will restart and see what happens.

edit: still there

edit 2: when i use left click and select open it opens normally + i use one click to open folder and underline when i point at them in the folder options when i got it to double click it retuned to normal then i returned it to one click and it got back to not opening a thing until i click on the desktop or end dwm process

auto background change doesn't work somtimes

edit few more details:i found that my files and shortcuts on the desktop won't highlight when pointing at them they look like this:

but they are supposed to look like this:

when the mouse points at them in on click to open files\folders configuration.

• Edited by darcko Monday, December 03, 2012 6:38 AM
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 5:40 AM
  • Hi,

If so, do you have any working Restore Points? Please try to roll back to a working state by System Recovery.

Juke Chou
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by darcko Wednesday, December 05, 2012 6:59 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by darcko Wednesday, December 05, 2012 6:59 AM
    Tuesday, December 04, 2012 9:04 AM
  • no the syste creates on and delete the one before it every time.

i want to say thank you for being patient with me, i fixed the problem everything is working now i just wanted to fix it quickly so i was playing with a virtual machine registry and found that a key is missing i recreated it but now i can't remember it or where it was exacly so every on would use this page to find it.

Edit 1: just found it it was (a DWORD named: NoActiveDesktopChanges \ Value is: 1 hexadecimal) in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Screenshot:

• Edited by darcko Wednesday, December 05, 2012 7:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by darcko Wednesday, December 05, 2012 7:37 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by darcko Tuesday, December 11, 2012 5:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by darcko Saturday, January 05, 2013 12:29 PM
    Wednesday, December 05, 2012 7:00 AM
  • i can't use windows store i get: (your computer is not connected to the internet) and all other moder ui apps like weather it was working fine before

now it changed to:

We weren’t able to connect to the Store. This might have happened because of a server problem or the network connection timed out.

Please wait a few minutes and try again.

• Edited by darcko Thursday, January 03, 2013 6:04 AM
    Wednesday, December 05, 2012 7:39 AM