none
STOP: C0000139 GDI32.dll

Question

• hey folks,

well I'm getting the blue screen of death right after POST.

I tried Safe mode and it didn't load
    Now I did google around and I found this:
    1. boot from a Windows CD and go for the repair option.

2. Copy gdi32.dll from c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386\gdi32.dll to c:\windows\system32\gdi32.dll. (Do keep a backup copy of the old gdi32.dll in c:\windows\system32 directory)

3. Reboot normally
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPo...7&SiteID=17

Well I'm a completely noob so when I just copy everything that it is on number 2 I get: the parameter is not valid. Any one could help me re-write so that Windows CD would recognize?

Now this is I get in the blue screen of death: STOP: c0000139 {Entry Point Not Found}
    the procedure entry point GdiGetBitmapBitsSize could not be located in the dynamic link library GDI32.dll

any ideas?
    Tuesday, April 29, 2008 6:25 PM

Answers

• Mr if you check which version you are using. More then likely this has been addressed in a more recent version of the Sp3.  So if you can check which version you have this would help out. You can check which verison you have. Click on start, run, type the letters "winver" then the enter key. Due to issues with dymanic something or other The release to web has been delayed and you may have downloaded the older verson.

If it shows a v3311 or some other version.

If it says Sp3 by itself it is suppost to be RTM version and this is a new issue. and reported for the first time with RTM. And please post back your results. One of the team members will help you out.

5508 doen'st seem to have this issue. And in the next day or so. *unknown when it will be issued* The RTU version should be available for download from Update.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 4:20 AM

All replies

• bump.
    Tuesday, April 29, 2008 7:43 PM

• Mr if you check which version you are using. More then likely this has been addressed in a more recent version of the Sp3.  So if you can check which version you have this would help out. You can check which verison you have. Click on start, run, type the letters "winver" then the enter key. Due to issues with dymanic something or other The release to web has been delayed and you may have downloaded the older verson.

If it shows a v3311 or some other version.

If it says Sp3 by itself it is suppost to be RTM version and this is a new issue. and reported for the first time with RTM. And please post back your results. One of the team members will help you out.

5508 doen'st seem to have this issue. And in the next day or so. *unknown when it will be issued* The RTU version should be available for download from Update.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 4:20 AM
  • The instructions are explaining what to do. The copy command to enter;

copy c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386\gdi32.dll c:\windows\system32\gdi32.dll

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 4:33 AM
  •  

I had the same issue. It works for me and I am really surprised. It´s my testplatform and it´s OC, build with nlite ...

now it shows MS Windows XP pro ver 2002 service pack 3, v. 3264 and until know everything works like before

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 5:14 PM
  • I had this error and I did the copy functionality and the machine booted fine. I am now on Version 5.1, build 2600.xpxp.080212-005, sp 3, v.3311. So far that was the only hiccup.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 8:19 PM
  • i am having the same problem i downloaded service pack 3 for xp home edition and i get the bsod in any mode. i can't try the file from the windows cd because windows xp was on my computer when i bought it is there any other way to fix this?

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 8:47 PM
  • Thanks so much guys!  This worked like a charm!!

It was my director's laptop and the pressure was on!!

Monday, March 30, 2009 4:45 PM
  • Vanessa,

If you observed the problem ionvolving gdi32.dll, then the chances are that the Service Pack 3 you were trying to install was not the official publicly released version, but one of the beta or release candidates.  The publicly released SP3 updated did not suffer from the problem documented in this thread.
    Robin Walker
    Monday, March 30, 2009 10:03 PM
  • I am getting this same message and don't know how I can get to the start option when I can't get past the blue screen with the error on it to find out the version?
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 10:43 PM
  • yesterday i went to xp for the first time in a few weeks on my mac mini.  it already had sp3 and had had it for MONTHS.

i updated the light scribe software, installed a driver for my new genius tablet, and installed whatever windows updates it had.

on reboot, i get the damn BSOD, with the gdi32.dll message.

i can't boot from CD, i can't get back to OSX, i can't do any safe mode, i'm totally screwed.

wtf?

i'm fairly technical but i can't figure out an angle on this and i'm worried the old "copy gdi32.dll" solutions won't work and don't apply.

anyone?  anyone?  bueller?

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 6:42 AM
  • i figured it out after two lost days.

hold "option"  ...that lets you pick what to boot.

after that i used the cd to get the cmd line recovery console up, and i did the copy command of the gdi file and that fixed it.  however, i checked first and somehow the gdi32.dll in system32 was dated from 2005.  the sp3 version was from 2008.  my Q is how in the ____ did xp allow a gdi32.dll file from 2005 to get inserted after months of successful use of sp3 installed?  i sincerely doubt the genius pad or the lightscribe update did it.  i think the damn windows update did it.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 10:24 AM
  • Hi!  I too have the Blue Death Screen.  I can recall downloading SP3 from somewhere and I dont think it was from MS ???.   I also deleted a virus program CA Security Suite which was not showing in Control Panel, so I deleted it from the Program files in order to intall a fresh copy of the virus program and since then everything went haywire.  Prior to all this I was attempting to view some videos on You Tube and each time I attempted to view, the computer would shut down and restart.  On checking the hardware/Device Manager I found that there were two Network adapters installed of the same description. So I deleted the last one as it may have come from an Update. Things were going well untill I kept getting a message that the system had had a fatal error. I tried to Recover the system through my Gigabyte program but it did not help as my unit now displayed the Blue Screen with the same error as aforesaid above. As I have another computer on hand I was able to download the GDI32 dll to  my desktop and put it on a stick.  Entering the system via Safe Mode and making several attempts via the options available the system keeps returning to the BlueScreen. The only two options that I have not tried are Networking and Command Prompt and not being conversant in the dos area I have temporarily not been down that pathway. A few days ago I checked the CMOS and found that in the BIOS the order of BootUp was locked in the order of FD,CD,HD so the system will not boot from the CD.  This nescesitates removing the battery and shorting the system but as things were operating normally then I left it for a later date.  I'm not sure if I did it now that it would be of great help. 

I know B.A. about computer systems and what little I know has been picked up around the traps and I would appreciate some assistance. As I have said that my knowledge is limited in this area, on reading your post I am not very clear about your method and whether it would resolve my problem. But we can only try.

I look forward to your response - thank you.     JORIPOKREE

• Proposed as answer by joripokree Sunday, February 26, 2012 2:22 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by joripokree Wednesday, February 29, 2012 8:12 AM
    Sunday, February 26, 2012 2:05 PM
  • Hi!  I too have the Blue Death Screen.  I can recall downloading SP3 from somewhere and I dont think it was from MS ???.   I also deleted a virus program CA Security Suite which was not showing in Control Panel, so I deleted it from the Program files in order to intall a fresh copy of the virus program and since then everything went haywire.  Prior to all this I was attempting to view some videos on You Tube and each time I attempted to view, the computer would shut down and restart.  On checking the hardware/Device Manager I found that there were two Network adapters installed of the same description. So I deleted the last one as it may have come from an Update. Things were going well untill I kept getting a message that the system had had a fatal error. I tried to Recover the system through my Gigabyte program but it did not help as my unit now displayed the Blue Screen with the same error as aforesaid above. As I have another computer on hand I was able to download the GDI32 dll to  my desktop and put it on a stick.  Entering the system via Safe Mode and making several attempts via the options available the system keeps returning to the BlueScreen. The only two options that I have not tried are Networking and Command Prompt and not being conversant in the dos area I have temporarily not been down that pathway. A few days ago I checked the CMOS and found that in the BIOS the order of BootUp was locked in the order of FD,CD,HD so the system will not boot from the CD.  This nescesitates removing the battery and shorting the system but as things were operating normally then I left it for a later date.  I'm not sure if I did it now that it would be of great help. 

I know B.A. about computer systems and what little I know has been picked up around the traps and I would appreciate some assistance. As I have said that my knowledge is limited in this area, on reading your post I am not very clear about your method and whether it would resolve my problem. But we can only try.

I look forward to your response - thank you.     JORIPOKREE

It's too bad you didn't pick up some pointers on internet etiquette!  It is very rude and inconsiderate to HIJACK an existing thread and make a post that is not directly related to the original post!

If you really want help, then start your own thread with an appropriate subject line!

Don't HIJACK existing threads in the future!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Sunday, February 26, 2012 2:45 PM
  • My sincere apologies, I was not aware of the protocol and that I was HiJacking an existing thread, will have to look for the Posting section

SORRY

Monday, February 27, 2012 12:36 AM