none
XP SP2 Dual boot with Windows 7, XP always boots!

Question

• Hey all!

Been running Windows 7 since Aug 8 after being very satisfied with the RC.  Just installed on a second box that has XP SP2 on a separate primary partition.  Everything installed just as it did in my previous installation.  However, upon rebooting, the thing went straight to XP without showing the Windows 7 dual boot menu at all.
    Upon visiting the usual BOOT.INI when XP booted, I did not see Windows 7 at all.  ??  I booted again with my Win7 DVD and chose the auto repair option.  I rebooted form the hard drive and received the Win7 boot menu...finally.  I booted into Win7, updated all drivers and ran WinUpdate.  Upon restarting it went straight back to XP again!
    Windows 7 and XP are on the same hard drive, but separate primary partitions.

Can anyone assist?

Thanks
    Nelson
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 7:21 PM

Answers

• There are different ways to fix this. The easiest way if you not familiar with "bcdedit.exe" is to configure your BIOS to boot from the cd/dvd drive, insert the windows 7 DVD and restart the computer. Press any key to boot from dvd, select your language and select repair my computer. After using the automated startup repair options you should be back to windows 7 desktop. From here you can dowload and install a free application from the web which goes by "EASYBCD"

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

You can use this to create a new entry for windows xp which will appear on the windows 7 OS choice menu after the first boot screen where you will now be able to chose from 7 or xp. You can also fix it from the command prompt manually with the information provided from the following help and support article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529

• Proposed as answer by ONE ZERO Tuesday, September 15, 2009 3:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, September 16, 2009 1:46 AM
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 8:15 PM
  • Hi,

If the EasyBCD does not work, please perform the following steps to troubleshoot this issue:

Rebuild Boot Configuration Database

================================

1. Insert the Windows 7 DVD and reboot the computer.

2. When we are prompted to press a key to boot from the DVD, please press Enter or the space bar.

3. Click "Next" and click "Repair your computer".

4. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click "Command Prompt" and type in the following command. Please press Enter at the end of each lines.

BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD

BOOTREC /SCANOS

6. If the command is successful, please close the Command Prompt window and reboot the computer.

Restart the computer and check if Windows 7 boot entry appears. If Windows XP entry disappears this time, follow the article below to add Windows XP entry:

However, if Windows 7 boot entry still disappears after removing the DVD, try the following steps:

Configure the boot method

=================

1. Open a CMD prompt on Windows XP and run the following commands, replacing “C:” in the commands with the drive letter for the system partition:

Attrib –h –s –r c:\ntldr

Attrib –h –s –r c:\bootmgr

ren c:\ntldr ntldr.old

copy c:\bootmgr ntldr

2. Restart the computer. The next boot should show the Windows 7 boot manager menu. Use F8 to start into WinRE.

3. Open a command prompt in WinRE and run the following commands:

bootsect /nt60 SYS

Copy c:\ntldr.old c:\ntldr (overwrite when prompted)

4. Restart the computer

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, September 16, 2009 1:47 AM
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 8:59 AM

All replies

• There are different ways to fix this. The easiest way if you not familiar with "bcdedit.exe" is to configure your BIOS to boot from the cd/dvd drive, insert the windows 7 DVD and restart the computer. Press any key to boot from dvd, select your language and select repair my computer. After using the automated startup repair options you should be back to windows 7 desktop. From here you can dowload and install a free application from the web which goes by "EASYBCD"

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

You can use this to create a new entry for windows xp which will appear on the windows 7 OS choice menu after the first boot screen where you will now be able to chose from 7 or xp. You can also fix it from the command prompt manually with the information provided from the following help and support article:

• Proposed as answer by ONE ZERO Tuesday, September 15, 2009 3:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, September 16, 2009 1:46 AM
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 8:15 PM
  • It's the BCD that is used when booting Windows 7. You need to have an entry in bcd for Windows XP.

Check this link (and video)

http://edge.technet.com/Media/Dual-Boot-Between-Windows-XP-and-Windows-7/

Sunday, September 13, 2009 8:16 PM
  • Thanks for the prompt reply Horshack.

The only way I've been able to boot back into Win7 is by using the DVD, now about 6 times. Very frustrating to say the least.  Oddly enough, XP is listed in my Win7 boot menu as "Earlier Windows version", but that's fine.  My issue is that it seems the XP boot loader keeps taking control back from the Win7 boot loader.

I think the EASYBCD may be the key to resolve this.  I started monkeying with BCDEDIT when forced to last night, but noticed the auto repair option seemed to work to the same benefit.

Going to download EASYBCD now and gvie that a shot.

Oddly enough the first dual boot I did another PC did not have this issue.  Oh well.

I'll update in the next few hours.
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 9:01 PM
  • Hi,

If the EasyBCD does not work, please perform the following steps to troubleshoot this issue:

Rebuild Boot Configuration Database

================================

1. Insert the Windows 7 DVD and reboot the computer.

2. When we are prompted to press a key to boot from the DVD, please press Enter or the space bar.

3. Click "Next" and click "Repair your computer".

4. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click "Command Prompt" and type in the following command. Please press Enter at the end of each lines.

BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD

BOOTREC /SCANOS

6. If the command is successful, please close the Command Prompt window and reboot the computer.

Restart the computer and check if Windows 7 boot entry appears. If Windows XP entry disappears this time, follow the article below to add Windows XP entry:

However, if Windows 7 boot entry still disappears after removing the DVD, try the following steps:

Configure the boot method

=================

1. Open a CMD prompt on Windows XP and run the following commands, replacing “C:” in the commands with the drive letter for the system partition:

Attrib –h –s –r c:\ntldr

Attrib –h –s –r c:\bootmgr

ren c:\ntldr ntldr.old

copy c:\bootmgr ntldr

2. Restart the computer. The next boot should show the Windows 7 boot manager menu. Use F8 to start into WinRE.

3. Open a command prompt in WinRE and run the following commands:

bootsect /nt60 SYS

Copy c:\ntldr.old c:\ntldr (overwrite when prompted)

4. Restart the computer

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, September 16, 2009 1:47 AM
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 8:59 AM
  • Forgot to come back and update.  The EASYBCD tool worked to perfection and the dual boot has been working without incident.

Vivian, thanks for your reply!  I will definitely document that as I am a CLI guy and prefer to do things without installing something if possible.  Just adds another layer of troubleshooting. 

Thanks to all!!

Nelson

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 12:02 PM