none
Jobs get stuck in queue on shared printer

Question

• I have 2 identical emachines desktop computers running Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1 with all the updates connected to the network with wireless cards. Computer #2 has a HP LaserJet 2600n printer attached and shared. I can see the printer on Computer #1 and get it to install. I can print from Computer #2 with no problem. If I try print from Computer #1 the job just sits in the print queue with the status of “Printing” but the job is never actually printed. Additional jobs from either computer are forced to sit in the queue behind the “stuck” print job. If I restart Computer #2 or restart the print spooler on it, all of the jobs that are in queue at that time print. If I try to print from Computer #1 after the queued jobs have been printed the new job will get “stuck” again. I can see all of the print jobs in the queue on both computers and I never get any errors.

I have tried changing the setting for which computer does the spooling and if it should print after the last page is spooled or start printing immediately and it has not had any noticeable effect. I have had the printer connected and shared on both computers and had he same results.

I welcome any suggestions that my resolve the issue.

Jason
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 6:46 PM

Answers

• Hi Jason,

From HP forum, I found that a customer encounters the similar issue, the issue is resolved after the bidirectional support is disabled.

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1223270266456+28353475&threadId=1267814

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

To disable bidirectional support, please follow the steps below on Computer #2.

1. Click Start. In the Start Search box type "printers" and press Enter.

2. Right-click on the HP Color LaserJet 2600n printer, choose "Run as administrator"->"Properties".

3. Choose the "Ports" tab.

4. Select the port of HP Color LaserJet 2600n, and uncheck the option "Enable bidirectional support".

If the issue persists, follow the steps to reset the printer spooler on both computers with the following steps.

1. Click Start, click Run, type "Services.msc" (without the quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double-click "Printer Spooler" in the Services list.

3. Click Stop and click OK.

4. Click Start, click Run, type "%WINDIR%\system32\spool\printers" in the open window, and delete all files in this folder.

5. Click Start, click Run, type "Services.msc" (without the quotation marks) in the open box

Hope it helps. 

Monday, October 06, 2008 6:07 AM

All replies

• Hi Jason,

I suggest that you disable the anti-virus and firewall on Computer #2, Then try to print from Computer #1. If the issue persists, also disable the anti-virus and firewall on Computer #1, and try to print again.

If the issue is not resolved, I suggest that you reinstall the printer on Computer #2 and Computer #1.

Please remove the printer from both computers first.

Remove printer

1. Click the "Start" button, type PRINTER in the search box and press Enter.

2. Find the icons which are related to HP LaserJet 2600n, and delete them.

3. Right-click on the blank part of the window, and choose "Run as administrator"->"Server Properties".

4. On the Drivers tab, select the listed printer and click the Remove button. Please then select Remove driver and driver package.

5. Open Start menu, input APPWIZ.CPL in the Search box and press ENTER to launch "Programs and Features".

6. Try to remove all related printer software.

Then, on Computer #2, download the latest driver from the folioing website and install it.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=446154&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=446153&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=2093#1130

On the Computer #1, follow the steps below to install.

1. Download the printer driver from the following website. Install the driver. 

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=446154&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=446153&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=2093#1130

2. Click Start, click Control Panel and double click Printers.

3. On Keyboard press Alt, then click File->Run as administrator->Add Printer.

When UAC window pops up, click Continue to go on.

4. Select "Add a local printer".

5. Select "Create a new port". Choose "Local Port" as the type of the port.

6. In the box "Enter a port name", type the address as the following format.

\\[IP address of the host computer]\[The Share Name of the printer]

Then click Next.

7. Follow the instruction to finish the installation. During installing, choose the correct driver in the driver list.

Hope it helps.

Friday, October 03, 2008 8:00 AM
  • Before you replied, I found a suggestion in previous post and tried it with no success.

I disabled the anti-virus on Computer #2 and tried to print with no success

I disabled the firewall on Computer #2 and tried to print with no success.

I disabled the anti-virus on Computer #1 and tried to print with no success

I disabled the firewall on Computer #1 and tried to print with no success.

On Computer #1, I removed the printer form the Printers area in the Control Panel and followed these instructions

Step 1:
    ==============================

Click "Start", type "regedit" in Research Bare and press "Enter". Browse to the following registry key by clicking the PLUS (+) sign:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers

Click the PLUS (+) sign to expand Printers key. All current printers installed on your computer are listed there. Please right click each subkey in it on the left pane and click "Delete".

The only printer listed is Microsoft XPS Document Writer

Step 2:
    ===============================

Browse to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NTx86\Drivers\Version-3

Click the PLUS (+) sign to expand "Version-3". All printer drivers which have been installed on your computer will be listed there. Please right click each subkey in it on the left pane and click "Delete".

I found and deleted the HP Color LaserJet 2600n drivers

I did not remove the Microsoft XPS Document Writer

Step 3:

Locate and then expand the following registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors

View the list of subkeys. There should only be the following subkeys for the default print monitors:

BJ Language Monitor

Local Port
    PJL Language Monitor
    Standard TCP/IP Port
    USB Monitor

If there are any subkeys other than the subkeys that are listed above has to be deleted. To do this, right-click each subkey that is not on the list, and then click Delete. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the deletion.

I found and deleted HP CLJ2600n LM

Step 4:

Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard.

Go to safe mode.

Open "My Computer" and browse to the folder: 

Go to the Following folder
    (i) C:\Windows\System32\spool\prtprocs\w32x86
    (ii) C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Printers
    (iii) C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Drivers\w32x86

I deleted all of the files in these 3 folders

I updated the firmware on the printer and downloaded and installed new printer drivers from the link your gave.

I followed your instructions and reinstalled the printer on both computers and tried to print with no success.

The print job from Computer #1 is still getting “stuck” in the print queue until the print service is restarted on Computer #2. Computer #2 can print fine (unless a print job from the other computer is stuck).

Jason

Friday, October 03, 2008 1:52 PM
  • Hi Jason,

From HP forum, I found that a customer encounters the similar issue, the issue is resolved after the bidirectional support is disabled.

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1223270266456+28353475&threadId=1267814

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

To disable bidirectional support, please follow the steps below on Computer #2.

1. Click Start. In the Start Search box type "printers" and press Enter.

2. Right-click on the HP Color LaserJet 2600n printer, choose "Run as administrator"->"Properties".

3. Choose the "Ports" tab.

4. Select the port of HP Color LaserJet 2600n, and uncheck the option "Enable bidirectional support".

If the issue persists, follow the steps to reset the printer spooler on both computers with the following steps.

1. Click Start, click Run, type "Services.msc" (without the quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double-click "Printer Spooler" in the Services list.

3. Click Stop and click OK.

4. Click Start, click Run, type "%WINDIR%\system32\spool\printers" in the open window, and delete all files in this folder.

5. Click Start, click Run, type "Services.msc" (without the quotation marks) in the open box

Hope it helps. 

Monday, October 06, 2008 6:07 AM
  • Thanks a lot

The fix does work , definately does the trick.

Thanks again

• Proposed as answer by VinnyVenice Monday, September 03, 2012 5:33 PM
    Monday, December 01, 2008 12:14 PM
  • Yeah Arthur's fix worked perfect for me:

Cleared the spooler with his instructions 1-5 at the bottom of his post, then disabled bi-directional support.

Worked like a charm.  It has been driving me nuts for months.

• Proposed as answer by VinnyVenice Monday, September 03, 2012 5:32 PM
    Sunday, January 30, 2011 5:06 PM