none
copy file error 0x80070052

Question

• I opened a new folder to accumulate pictures in so that I could download them to a digital picture frame.  The new folder contained 224 pictures.  I selected all of them under edit menu and then used the send to utility under the file menu to copy them all to a 2gb Panasonic SD class 4 flash card so to display the pictures on the digital frame.  However, during the transfer process there are about 29 pictures that can't be transferred.  I formatted the flash card and tried again and again the process will only transfer 195 pictures.  I have been going back and forth deleting a picture or two from the flash drive and then dragging one of the untransferred pictures to the flash drive.  However, on a couple of the pictures I continue to get the error message.  Also, when checking the available space on the flash drive, it shows that the 195 pictures have only consumed 137mb of space and over 1.7gb of available space. 

Can you help me?  I am not very computer literate and especially since buying this new computer with Vista Home Premium on it.   Thanks

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 1:55 AM

Answers

• This is the correct answer.  I reformated as Fat32 and loaded about 400 photos on the card. 

I hate to admit that I never thought to look at the format of the card. 

It seems strange that a card this size comes formatted Fat and not a higher one such as Fat32 or NTFS.

Monday, December 24, 2007 3:04 PM
  • Hi papagreg,

Thank you for the reply.

Based on the current situation, I suggest performing a Clean Boot to test the issue.

Clean Boot

=========

Let’s disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click Start, type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Please test the result in the Clean Boot environment. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

If the issue persists, please format the flash drive both in NTFS and FAT32 to test the results.

In addition, please check if other files (the sizes are no smaller than the 32 pictures) can be saved to the flash drive after the 191 pictures has been saved.

We can also test the issue in Safe Mode. We can keep pressing F8 to access Safe Mode when starting the computer on most computers. However, some computers have its special method to enter Safe Mode. You can look up the computer manual or contact your computer manufacturer to obtain the information about how to enter Safe Mode.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, December 06, 2007 2:54 AM
  • hi guys i had the same problem with all kind of different errors i.e. 0x80070052 , 0x800703EE & 0x80070570

I  formatted the sd card to Fat32 and still received error messages - on a hunch i went into:

properties - tools - error checking

on the sd card drive and checked "fix problems" - it found problems and fixed them - now i have no more problems....for now....

hope that helps!

cheers!

dreamtime

http://dreamtimemix.blogspot.com

Friday, January 11, 2008 8:53 PM

All replies

•  

Hi papagreg,

Thank you for the post.

Before we go any further, please help confirm the following points:

1. What are the file extensions of these 224 pictures? Are they have the same extensions?

2. What’s the total size of the new folder you created to accumulate pictures?

3. Is the total size of the 29 pictures much bigger than that of the 195 ones?

4. Can you open these 195 pictures in the flash drive? Please confirm if these “pictures” in the flash drive are only shortcuts.

5. What is the exact wording of the error message received when dragging the pictures to the flash drive?

6. Can the flash drive work properly on other computers?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Thursday, November 29, 2007 5:10 AM
  • Thank you for your reply. the answers to your questions are as follows:

1.  They are all jpeg files

2.   The total size of the new folder with all 224 pictures is 137mb

3.   No.

4.   I don't think they are shortcuts.  When I plug the flash drive into the computer an automated response asks how and by what program do I want to open the pictures.

5.   I don't know what the exact error response was.  I ran out of time to download the pictures to the flash drive in order to mail the flash drive with the digital picture frame because it was a present.

6.   I didn't try the flash drive on other computers since I only have the one.  However, the flash drive worked fine in the digital photo frame.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 9:49 PM
  •  

Hi papagreg,

Thank you for the reply.

Now please test the issue in Safe Mode.

If the issue persists, please format the flash drive in NTFS.

In addition, please test if we can copy all these pictures onto other external drives. If so, it means the cause is probably on the flash drive.

I am standing by for your update.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Friday, November 30, 2007 7:51 AM
  • Thanks for your help, Tim.  I am a relative novice to the computer.  I don't know how to test in safe mode.  Additionally, I tried to format the flash drive but could not find my way back to do it.  The first time I formatted the flash drive I was prompted to by the computer.

Sunday, December 02, 2007 3:36 AM
  •  

Hi papagreg,

Thank you for the reply.

Papagreg, to enter Safe Mode, please restart computer, press the F8 key when the boot menu pops up, select [Safe Mode], and boot up.

Can you copy all these pictures to the flash drive in Safe Mode?

To format the flash drive, please connect the flash drive to the computer, click Start, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter. Right-click the flash drive, click Format and click OK.

Note: Before formatting the flash drive, please back up the important data on it.

What’s the result now?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Monday, December 03, 2007 7:17 AM
  • Tim,

I tried to restart the computer in Safe Mode by using your instructions.  The computer would not respond to anything except the usual process that occurs when starting the computer.  I tried several times pushing the F8 key during various times after restarting the computer and no luck.  Also, I went out and got another 2gb SD flash drive to experiment on.  I formatted it like you suggested and then tried to send the picture files to the flash drive (all 223 pictures, 140mb).  I even tried to erase the files, reformat the drive and try to copy the pictures to the flash drive again and again, and I still get the same response after the program copies about 191 of the pictures:

An unexpected error is preventing the operation.  Make a note of this error code, which might be useful if you get additional help to resolve this problem:      Error 0x80070052:  The directory or file cannot be created.

I copied the response word for word.  I'm a little skeptical at this point after reading the response as if you get additional help.  What is that supposed to mean?

Thanks.....greg

Monday, December 03, 2007 7:22 PM
  • Hi papagreg,

Thank you for the reply.

Based on the current situation, I suggest performing a Clean Boot to test the issue.

Clean Boot

=========

Let’s disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click Start, type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Please test the result in the Clean Boot environment. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

If the issue persists, please format the flash drive both in NTFS and FAT32 to test the results.

In addition, please check if other files (the sizes are no smaller than the 32 pictures) can be saved to the flash drive after the 191 pictures has been saved.

We can also test the issue in Safe Mode. We can keep pressing F8 to access Safe Mode when starting the computer on most computers. However, some computers have its special method to enter Safe Mode. You can look up the computer manual or contact your computer manufacturer to obtain the information about how to enter Safe Mode.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Thursday, December 06, 2007 2:54 AM
  • Hi papagreg,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Monday, December 10, 2007 2:19 AM
  • Well I just encountered it again.  I tried copying from the original folder and from the temporary one I set up to accumulate the photos.  Neither worked.  Very strange.  I have not tried safe mode nor have I tried doing this on my XP system.  I am running Vista Ultimate on the one with the problem.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 10:04 PM
  • Using safe mode does not help because in safe mode the system will not recognize the SD card at all,  I am starting to think that this may be a question related to the SD card and the systems ability to put more than a certain number of files on it.  This is because when I tried to add more files to the card using my XP system I had the same problem.  If I deleted even a very small image I was able to add a much larger one.  The number of files seems to be the governing factor here.

There are about 320 photos no on the card and they take about 350 mgbs of the 2 gig card.  I have a 1 gig XD card and will try that to see if there is any difference in the result.

Thursday, December 13, 2007 12:33 PM
  • Hi,

I came across the same problem.  Bought a digital picture frame and a 2 GB SD memory card with the intention of putting about 1000 pics on it.  After it copied around 168 pictures it gave me this error message:  Error Copying File or Folder:  Cannot copy "filename":  The directory or file cannot be created.  I tried renaming the pictures and copying them over and that didn't work.  Tried copying all of them to a flash drive and got the same error message.  There is still a ton of free space on both media types (over 1 GB).  All of my file types are also .jpeg.  Someone please help!!  I am sending this as a gift and I would like to load all of the pictures!

Thanks!!

Monday, December 17, 2007 11:29 PM
  • I found a way to get over 1000 photos on my media.  I made a foler on the SD card and dumped them into the folder.  But now the slideshow feature on the picture frame won't work!  I'm able to view the photos 1 by 1 on the frame but no slideshow. 

Thursday, December 20, 2007 6:34 PM
  • the answer is to reformat the sd card, as fat32 or ntfs. i used ntfs, and not a fast format, and it worked fine. One person has reported that an NTFS formatted card didn't work in his phone, a motorola. Microsoft man , if you read this, you should be ashamed of yourself... all that rubbish about safe mode etc just wasting the punters' time! I've got to get this ready for christmas day tomorrow.

If you want to randomise the photos, rather than show them in order, try "all file renamer"

Best wishes to all.

• Proposed as answer by chris_massucco Monday, December 22, 2008 3:27 PM
    Monday, December 24, 2007 11:19 AM
  • This is the correct answer.  I reformated as Fat32 and loaded about 400 photos on the card. 

I hate to admit that I never thought to look at the format of the card. 

It seems strange that a card this size comes formatted Fat and not a higher one such as Fat32 or NTFS.

Monday, December 24, 2007 3:04 PM
  • How does one reformat the card to FAT32.. mine is a FAT and i am havign the exact same problem with a digitial photo frame & vista

Monday, December 24, 2007 7:00 PM
  • Try copying the pictures that won't copy first.

I had the same problem.  There were about 30 pictures that would not copy.  I reformated to NTFS.  Then I copied first the pictures that would not copy.  I copied the remainder of the pictures.  Worked OK.

• Proposed as answer by bascule56 Saturday, July 03, 2010 11:31 AM
    Tuesday, December 25, 2007 12:15 AM
  • In Windows Explorer if you right click on the card one of the items on the menu will be "format".  Follow the prompts  amd select either Fat32 or NTFS.  Do not select quick format. It will take just a few minutes.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 12:29 AM
  • hi guys i had the same problem with all kind of different errors i.e. 0x80070052 , 0x800703EE & 0x80070570

I  formatted the sd card to Fat32 and still received error messages - on a hunch i went into:

properties - tools - error checking

on the sd card drive and checked "fix problems" - it found problems and fixed them - now i have no more problems....for now....

hope that helps!

cheers!

dreamtime

http://dreamtimemix.blogspot.com

Friday, January 11, 2008 8:53 PM
  • Hi,
    Theres a simple solution without wanting to reformat.
    Dont leave many files on root, create directory and copy the items from the root.
    It Works!
    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 3:47 PM
  • I'm hoping you can help me. I reformatted the SD card and the files copied just fine - however ... when I format at NTFS, the slide show on the digital picture frame doesn't work. When I format on FAT32 I get about 210MB (176 pics). The slide show stops working. I have tried different SD cards and different frames (need a 2GB to get all the pics on that I want and I am using a PanDigital picture frame). This has been making me nuts.

My pictures are a variety of pictures, some are scanned, and they come from a variety of camera types - but in my mind, since they are al jpg, that shouldn't matter.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sharon

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 8:42 PM
  • I am getting this message when I try to transfer downloaded mp3 files to my blackberry phone.  It used to work just fine, but now it brings up this 0x80070052 error message.  Any help you could provide would be great

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 10:49 PM
  • I am having same issues but am using the SD-2gig for my mp3 player. Tried all the above. The only scenario that worked for me was formatting to fat32 and starting with the problem files first, then moving on to the others. What a hassle. Not too impressed with Vista @all.

Thursday, July 03, 2008 11:30 PM
  •  rkalantri wrote:
    Hi,
    Theres a simple solution without wanting to reformat.
    Dont leave many files on root, create directory and copy the items from the root.
    It Works!

Hey, i have tried this method and it works. I had problem with copying the mp3 files to the player. The same error code showed each time i tried to copy the files. After create a new folder and place all the files to the folder, all the problems solved. Now i'm able to load the files again. Thanks ya.

Friday, July 11, 2008 2:37 PM
  • Similarly I found that formatting to FAT32 did the trick for my SD card.
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 9:21 PM
  • I have this exact same issue when copying digital jpeg pictures to the internal memopry of my Sony DPF-V900 9" digital picture frame.

When I try to copy files it gets to just over 200 files and I get the error.

When I look at the properties of the disk on the picture frame it is only half full. (Max capacity 512MB).

The file system in FAT however the Sony manual states not to format the disk from the computer only from the options on the picture frame with only gives one option, FAT.

Sunday, October 26, 2008 4:03 PM
  • I am having the SAME problem with a Sandisk 2GN Secure Digital card.  I can copy all the JPG files to ANY other device BUT a Secure Digital.  I'm running Vista Ultimate on my LapTop and I encounter the same problem (different message) on my DeskTop computer running XP-Pro.
    Thursday, November 06, 2008 10:55 PM
  • I just had this problem, tonight.  I put a new folder on the flash drive, then copied all the files into that folder.  That is the only way it would work.  I read somewhere else about too many files in the root directory, so I erased everything, created the new folder, then copied everything into the new folder.  Done. 

Hope this works for you.
    Monday, November 17, 2008 2:52 AM
  • To those who propose using several folders as a workaround to the problem, just remember that the purpose is to put pictures on a digital frame and have them displayed as a slideshow. I doubt that most frames are able to make a "cross-folder" slideshow. So, even if it allows copying more pictures to the card than the FAT system would permit, this is not a valid solution :).

I wonder why SD cards appear to be, by default, formatted using FAT, which causes the problem and is likely to do so considering the usual size of current cards (1 or 2 GB), which is supposed to allow storing more pictures... Probably to ensure compatibility with most devices, but it does not seem a very clever decision... Does anyone have information on that matter?

Also, does anyone know what is the precise limitation of FAT that causes the problem and why the error message received under Vista is so cryptic?
    Monday, December 22, 2008 3:25 PM
  • yay thank you
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 4:40 AM
  • i had the same problem with the error poping up when i tried to copy 800 pictures to my 2 gb sd card. i booted up in clean mode and tried to copy them again still had the error pop up. so i reformatted the card in Fat32 and it worked. thanks for the help. and also it did this on the second and its copying the pictures as i type. THANKS!!!
    Thursday, January 01, 2009 4:46 PM
  • I had this same error and reformatting my card to NTSF format corrected the problem.  I am on a Windows Vista Platform.  Thanks for the help!
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 8:45 PM
  • do you know if this applies to mp3 players as im getting the error code after 155 tracks added
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 2:07 PM
  • I also had this problem trying to copy pictures from my hard drive to a 2GB flash drive.  I got to about 220 pictures and it started to get this message.

The following worked for me.  First, I deleted all the files I had loaded so far off the flash drive (I saved them in a temporary folder on my hard drive first), then I created a new folder on the flash drive.  I copied all the files from my temporary folder on my hard drive to the flash drive.  From that point I was able to continue to copy pictures into the folder on the flash drive.  Happily, my Kodak P720 frame had no trouble locating the pictures in the folder on the flash drive.

No reformat or error checking required.  Hope this helps!!
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 5:43 AM
  • I think the problem you are experiencing is a new manifestation of a problem that was common when floppy drives were in use.  Basically the issue is there is only so much space allocated on the USB drive (or any type of drive) for the root directory.    If you put all of your files in the root (main) directory it is possible to fill up the space allocated for the directory.  This happened to my wife at about 170 files and she thought the USB drive went bad.  The solution is to organize the files into folders.  I think the original design premise was that people would not put everything in the root directory but would make seperate folders to keep the data organized and easier to find.  

Hope this helps to clear up the mystery.  
    • Proposed as answer by lester09 Wednesday, September 02, 2009 5:22 PM
    Wednesday, September 02, 2009 5:22 PM
  • Thanks for everybody's insight! I went further to investigate this mystery by finding the max. number of files stored in a folder limitation. I am using a 2GB flash drive formatted in FAT32 with 4k cluster size. I wrote a simple batch program to populate the ROOT directory, and a folder under the ROOT directory with a seed file of 4k. In case someone like to use my program to verify my finding, here it is:

echo off
    set /a cnt=0
    :again
    REM run the next two copy statements one at a time
    copy L:\a.jpg L:\test%cnt%.jpg
    REM copy L:\next\a.jpg L:\next\test%cnt%.jpg
    set /a cnt=%cnt%+1
    echo %cnt%
    goto again
    exit

a.jpg is a 4k text file; L is the letter for the flash drive; next is a directory under the ROOT directory. It quit after creating test21846.jpg.

So the magical number is 21,850 since I started with count 0, the seed file, "a.jpg", the batch program, and the ROOT directory or the next directory itself.

Based on my finding, it is NOT ONLY the ROOT as some of you have suggested, but also all the directories!
    Monday, September 07, 2009 9:35 PM
  • I didn't do anything but reformat my SanDisk as FAT32 and was then able to copy all my pictures on to it.
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 7:41 PM
  • yehh do the same thing..

back up all the files and either format it or deleat all the files...

then creat a folder and put the files there ( mp3, jpgs)

it works. 
    Monday, December 07, 2009 4:51 PM
  • Ok, so maybe this is for those of us who've had too much eggnog but~ when you format on a PC you want to choose: File system: FAT32.  NOT FAT with Allocation Size unit 32, that DOES NOT WORK.     ~~Sorry if this seems like a Duh, but when you don't know, you don't know.~~  Thanks for helping me finally figure this out after a day of screwing with this.  Merry Christmas!
    Friday, December 25, 2009 4:27 AM
  • So the major problem seems to be that my sandisk is not fat32 format....my problem now is that im not sure on how to format it to fat32?
    thanks alot.....big help to those of us like me that dont know anything about computers.

btw- before i found this site i found this one that i wasnt sure if it was good or not. (Error 0x80070052) I ended up downloading the program anyways and it did fix some other errors on my computer but not the sandisk one.
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 6:42 PM
  • Worked for me on Vista computer, old Fuji 256 MB XD Card, new Sony Frame. 

I first erased the card completely because it had Fuji DCMI folders on it.

Then did "My Computer", Right Clicked "XD Card". Saw that it was formated to FAT. From dropdown list chose FAT 32.

Reformatted the card to FAT32 (took a couple of minutes).

Then copied the photos from my folder onto the card - all of the pictures copied over including the ones which previously gave me the error message.

Inserted card into Sony S-Frame DPF- D72N and it works perfectly.

Thanks for the help - this is the fastest resolution to a problem that I can remember!

Friday, March 19, 2010 6:07 AM
  • Aloha - I kept receiving the error message 0x80070052.  I finally had to reformat my Sandisk as FAT32 before it would accept new photos.  Just make sure you backup everything on your SD card before you reformat or it will be lost.
    Thursday, April 01, 2010 1:01 AM
  • Hey dude SPOT ON works brilliantly now !!! :)
    Thursday, July 08, 2010 1:23 PM
  • Here is the solution: Make multiple directories. I have been trying for days to copy 56,000 files from my Windows 7 laptops desktop to an external hard drive that was formatted with my XP laptop.

After reading all of the above I had perfect results by creating several folders inside of one folder that is in the root. NO re-formatting required to my already FAT32 1TB!

Thanks for all the brain storming & tips!

• Proposed as answer by FANGUE Wednesday, July 28, 2010 3:23 AM
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 3:18 AM
  • Here is the solution: Make multiple directories. I have been trying for days to copy 56,000 files from my Windows 7 laptops desktop to an external hard drive that was formatted with my XP laptop.

After reading all of the above I had perfect results by creating several folders inside of one folder that is in the root. NO re-formatting required to my already FAT32 1TB!

Thanks for all the brain storming & tips!

• Proposed as answer by FANGUE Wednesday, July 28, 2010 3:26 AM
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 3:26 AM
  • had the same problem with my sandisk and 2 other usb disks. formatting as FAT32 was my soluttion. thanks a lot guys. i thought i was doomed!
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 5:55 PM
  • I had this same problem with a 1Gb SD card.  It is definitely a FAT (file allocation table) problem.  Reformatting didn't help.  (I didn't switch to FAT32 because my camera uses FAT.)  I was only able to put a limited number of photo files on the root directory.  However after adding a file folder, I was able to add about 1,750 photo files to the card using the folder (200MB total, smaller size photo files).  For more information on FAT issues, see this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table.

Probably another solution would have been to reformat as FAT 32 for this purpose and then let the camera reform it back to what it wanted after making this file transfer.

• Edited by AnyOldName Tuesday, September 14, 2010 4:56 AM edited
    • Proposed as answer by AnyOldName Tuesday, September 14, 2010 4:56 AM
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 4:54 AM
  • how can you receive the data that was on the product before you format it? i need to get all of my data off of it. thank you. email me at dmayes1984@yahoo.com or @live.com. pref the yahoo one though
    Sunday, March 06, 2011 3:25 PM