none
Windows Vista SP1 Error Code 80070570 -- HELP!! No info on this code anywhere!

Question

•  

On my 10th try to install SP1. Can someone offer some help with this error? (Code 80070570)
    Wednesday, May 28, 2008 12:23 PM

Answers

• I got this same message.  New computer, no bugs.  I searched the internet and found 100 different solutions, some complicated, some easy, and not many that claim a solution.  Some recommend reinstalling vista, turning off the security, renaming files, etc.  Some people worked on this for days.  I lucked out and fixed it in minutes. 

Now when I looked at the updates in the control panel, I found that many had downloaded fine in the past few days.  I only had a problem with the one "KB955020" labeled as important.  When I looked at it, it was just for some foreign language dictionary update.

So here is what I did.  I went to Microsoft's website, selected downloads, then searched for this particular number under Vista.  It returned five selections.  Noticing the exact one that failed to install was dated July 8 and was for 64bit Vista (the only choice for me) I selected this one to download.  Now to download this particular one, I had to verify this was a genuine copy of Vista.  The first method (click here) didn't work, the alternate method (click here and download a file and then open it) did.  Bingo.  It downloaded, restarted, and was done.

When it restarted, I checked out the updates and found nothing except some optional one for a fax.  Hopefully this clears up future problems as it would not be all that convenient to do every time it needs to update, but I don't seem to have had a problem until now.  Maybe all that was needed was an authenticity verification, maybe the security dispermitted this or the download, I don't know, but it does seem plausible given the other fixes I found appearantly worked for somebody.

I hope this helps anybody else running into this problem.  Judging by what other people did, this was by far the easiest fix.

Monday, November 24, 2008 11:05 PM

All replies

• L J

This is an error coming from the Windows Update component. I would recommend that you take advantage of the free support Microsoft offers specifically for Windows Update problems.

Windows Update No Charge, Unlimited Email Support:
    https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=6527

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the right of this message.
    This will help others who are having this issue find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Wednesday, May 28, 2008 5:14 PM
  • I have been trying for weeks to get a solution to this. I was on the phone with MS support for 3 hours and they had no idea what to do. They eventually blew me off and said they would send the problem to their research dept. I can't seem to find anyone with any kind of solution at all. Please help!!

Dave

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 5:37 PM
  • Dave

The problem is that the error code (80070570) is generic and meaningless without more details. The error code simply means "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" Or "Cannot open file"?

Try opening the Event Viewer in Administrative Tools. In the Event Viewer expand Custom Views and select Administrative Events. In the right side, look for any Red Icon error events that coincide with the date and time when this error occured.

If you find one, Double Click that error to see the details. In the Details dialog, there is a 'Copy' button at the lower / left corner. Click that 'Copy' button and Paste the results in a reply here.

Have you tried using the standalone SP1 file yet? You find it here:

Download details: Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Five Language Standalone x86 (KB936330):
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=B0C7136D-5EBB-413B-89C9-CB3D06D12674&displaylang=en

Download details: Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Five Language Standalone for x64 (KB936330): http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=874A414B-32B2-41CC-BD8B-D71EDA5EC07C&displaylang=en

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the right of this message.
    This will help others who are having this issue find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Thursday, May 29, 2008 3:46 AM
  • Rename your C:\windows\softwaredistribution folder to (say) softwaredistribution2.

Reboot.

Retry install.

After install succeedes, you can delete the backup folder: softwaredistribution2.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 1:48 AM
  • Hi LJ,

I discovered this issue in my mother-in-law's computer this week-end.  After running into the same issues as you I investigated and found this solution.  Please note that this is the solution that worked in this computer, and that I offer no guarantees that it will work for you.

1. I uninstalled Norton Anti-Virus and Norton Internet Security.

2. I installed Windows Live OneCare (90 day trial version).

Live OneCare discovered the following Trojan:

Trojan:Win32/Vundo.gen!T

One of the known symptoms of this Trojan is that it wreaks havoc with Windows Updates.  Once Live OneCare cleaned it out I was able to install all updates, including Service Pack 1, and a number of other patches which had been failing previously.

I hope this helps you, and wish you the best of luck!

Mitch Garvis, MCT

Microsoft MVP: Windows Server Customer Experience

http://garvis.ca/blogs

Sunday, August 17, 2008 12:41 AM
  •  

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 1:58 AM
  • I got this same message.  New computer, no bugs.  I searched the internet and found 100 different solutions, some complicated, some easy, and not many that claim a solution.  Some recommend reinstalling vista, turning off the security, renaming files, etc.  Some people worked on this for days.  I lucked out and fixed it in minutes. 

Now when I looked at the updates in the control panel, I found that many had downloaded fine in the past few days.  I only had a problem with the one "KB955020" labeled as important.  When I looked at it, it was just for some foreign language dictionary update.

So here is what I did.  I went to Microsoft's website, selected downloads, then searched for this particular number under Vista.  It returned five selections.  Noticing the exact one that failed to install was dated July 8 and was for 64bit Vista (the only choice for me) I selected this one to download.  Now to download this particular one, I had to verify this was a genuine copy of Vista.  The first method (click here) didn't work, the alternate method (click here and download a file and then open it) did.  Bingo.  It downloaded, restarted, and was done.

When it restarted, I checked out the updates and found nothing except some optional one for a fax.  Hopefully this clears up future problems as it would not be all that convenient to do every time it needs to update, but I don't seem to have had a problem until now.  Maybe all that was needed was an authenticity verification, maybe the security dispermitted this or the download, I don't know, but it does seem plausible given the other fixes I found appearantly worked for somebody.

I hope this helps anybody else running into this problem.  Judging by what other people did, this was by far the easiest fix.

Monday, November 24, 2008 11:05 PM
  • Thank you Thank you Thank you   New computer also 2nd day of setting it up (gave away my old computer to my son after day 1) and this error message started plaqing me. Your solution worked GREAT and was easy Thanks again!!!!

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 1:24 AM
  • This worked for me as well. Thank you !

This is clearly a microsoft bug. On a new PC, after fresh install of vista x64 sp1, the very first thing I did was try to install KB955020, and it failed.
    Monday, December 01, 2008 12:46 AM
  • So I actually did this and it wanted me to install hotfix for windows KB955020.  So I installed it but then it failed.  I have no clue what to do I had the same problems about a week after I got it.
    Sunday, February 01, 2009 9:55 PM
  • I have been having the same problem with the 80070750 error code when updating service pack 1. Here is the details in the error code section under Administrative Tools:

The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume \Device\HarddiskVolume2.

I have tried several times to update Service Pack 1 and get the same error code. The error code in the Administrative Tools is the same on all the errors.
    Monday, February 09, 2009 2:20 AM
  • Hello,

I'm having a similar problem that others were mentioning but now with Vista Service Pack 2.   Again the same error code (80070570).  I viewed the event log and copied the following...  Any idea what to do next?

Thanks,

CanDaveO

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient
    Date:          03/11/2009 1:12:40 PM
    Event ID:      20
    Task Category: Windows Update Agent
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Failure,Installation
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:     xxxxxx
    Description:
    Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070570: Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (KB948465).
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient" Guid="{945a8954-c147-4acd-923f-40c45405a658}" />
        <EventID>20</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>1</Task>
        <Opcode>13</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8000000000000028</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-11-03T21:12:40.220Z" />
        <EventRecordID>201574</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="1236" ThreadID="5736" />
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer>xxxxxx</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="errorCode">0x80070570</Data>
        <Data Name="updateTitle">Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (KB948465)</Data>
        <Data Name="updateGuid">{0BC0E502-52B6-492E-8856-14B84973C615}</Data>
        <Data Name="updateRevisionNumber">105</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 9:25 PM
  • slt on le trouve ou le dossier "C: \ Windows \ SoftwareDistribution à (disons) softwaredistribution2."
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 9:35 PM
  • this really saved me! thank you! It works!
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 1:33 PM
  • Log Name:      System
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Service Pack Installer
    Date:          11/08/2010 20:41:02
    Event ID:      8
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      
    User:          Tomas-PC\Tomas
    Computer:      Tomas-PC
    Description:
    Service Pack installation failed with error code 0x800f0a05.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Service Pack Installer" Guid="{62ef8b9f-ee45-4aba-a9b9-b70e878bf30a}" />
        <EventID>8</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-08-11T19:41:02.370Z" />
        <EventRecordID>951501</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="3936" ThreadID="2328" />
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer>Tomas-PC</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-1283572624-2117893237-4127741867-1000" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="ErrorCode">0x800f0a05</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Saturday, August 14, 2010 3:03 PM
  • My problem was same error code 0x80070570 in copying files to my psp an note came out error code 0x80070570:Parameter is incorrect. Can you help me please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please....+_+ +_+ +_+ +_+
    Monday, November 01, 2010 1:29 PM