none
can't install Security Update for Windows XP (KB973768)

Question

• I am using Windows XP 2005 Media Center Edition. Set automatic update as ON. But every time Express update installation says could not install

Security Update for Windows XP (KB973768)

I have Norton 360 antivirus. And i try by disabling the antivirus and its firewall but still problem not resolved.

Please help me in this matter.

ANIL SANGHANI, Ahmedabad, India

email id: sanghanianil@hotmail.com
    Sunday, January 13, 2013 8:16 PM

Answers

• Oh, this one brings back miserable memories. We had a batch of TabletPC 2005 systems our VAR was inexplicably and unexepctedly jamming MediaCenter components onto but without all of the MCE menus so were unaware of the the silly dancers and other stuff on the systems but it was enough components to trigger the MCE HotFixes at WindowsUpdate.

Seems you're aware of and want MCE so sharing this registry edit is appropriate, navigate to the MediaCenter Ident (RegSZ) key and verify it isn't already "3" and retry the hotfix.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Ident

Flip the Ident value to 3

Install the HotFix

It is recommended to reset the Ident key back to your original value but not 100% necessary, system anomalies may or may not occur and no one seems too sure or interested anymore in determining the results.

Monday, January 14, 2013 1:11 AM