none
how to uninstall ie9 native and install ie8 on windows 7 64 bit?

Question

• IE8 doesn't exist on my laptop Ie9 came native with it. Can't figure out how to take 9 off and install 8. When I do windows 7 says that it doesn't support IE8. Does anyone know a fix for this. 9 isn't supported by a program I need.
    Friday, October 14, 2011 2:27 AM

Answers

• To uninstall Internet Explorer 9

1.  Click the Start button, type Programs and Features in the search box, and then click View installed updates in the left pane.
    2.  Under Uninstall an update, scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section.
    3.  Right-click Windows Internet Explorer 9, click Uninstall, and then, when prompted, click Yes.
    4.  Click one of the following:
      •  Restart now (to finish the process of uninstalling Internet Explorer 9, and restore the previous version of Internet Explorer).
      •  Restart later (to wait until you shut down or restart your computer).
      •  Note
      •  After you uninstall Internet Explorer 9, the previously installed version of Internet Explorer will be available on your computer. It is not necessary to reinstall.

Friday, October 14, 2011 6:28 AM
  • Hi,

I would like you to know if IE9 is pre-installed on Windows 7, it cannot be uninstalled.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:57 AM
  • I am having the same issue. If IE9 comes pre-installed, you cannot roll back to IE8 because IE9 does not show up as an installed update. I do not think there is an IE8 installer for Windows 7 either; the XP, Vista & Server 2008 installers will not work.

Only solution I have found: Press F12 in IE9 to bring up the developer tools. Select IE 7 or 8 under Browser Mode.

Good Luck

• Proposed as answer by Native88 Friday, October 21, 2011 8:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Niki HanModerator Sunday, October 23, 2011 12:12 PM
    Friday, October 21, 2011 7:53 PM

All replies

• To uninstall Internet Explorer 9

1.  Click the Start button, type Programs and Features in the search box, and then click View installed updates in the left pane.
    2.  Under Uninstall an update, scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section.
    3.  Right-click Windows Internet Explorer 9, click Uninstall, and then, when prompted, click Yes.
    4.  Click one of the following:
      •  Restart now (to finish the process of uninstalling Internet Explorer 9, and restore the previous version of Internet Explorer).
      •  Restart later (to wait until you shut down or restart your computer).
      •  Note
      •  After you uninstall Internet Explorer 9, the previously installed version of Internet Explorer will be available on your computer. It is not necessary to reinstall.

Friday, October 14, 2011 6:28 AM
  • Hi,

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/how-do-i-install-or-uninstall-internet-explorer-9

1. Click the Start button Picture of the Start button, type Programs and Features in the search box, and then click View installed updates in the left pane.
    2. Under Uninstall an update, scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section.

3. Right-click Windows Internet Explorer 9, click Uninstall, and then, when prompted, click Yes.

• Click one of the following:
    • Restart now (to finish the process of uninstalling Internet Explorer 9, and restore the previous version of Internet Explorer).

• Restart later (to wait until you shut down or restart your computer).

Hope this helps.

• Preveen
Saturday, October 15, 2011 2:05 PM
  • Hi,

I would like you to know if IE9 is pre-installed on Windows 7, it cannot be uninstalled.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:57 AM
  • I am having the same issue. If IE9 comes pre-installed, you cannot roll back to IE8 because IE9 does not show up as an installed update. I do not think there is an IE8 installer for Windows 7 either; the XP, Vista & Server 2008 installers will not work.

Only solution I have found: Press F12 in IE9 to bring up the developer tools. Select IE 7 or 8 under Browser Mode.

Good Luck

• Proposed as answer by Native88 Friday, October 21, 2011 8:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Niki HanModerator Sunday, October 23, 2011 12:12 PM
    Friday, October 21, 2011 7:53 PM
  • i dont find windows explorer 9 in  Programs and Features
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:59 AM
  • "serios1" wrote in message news:85474894-9d06-46aa-bb89-40bec07f9188...
    i dont find windows explorer 9 in  Programs and Features

Look in Installed Updates.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 9:37 AM
  • ie 9 is not an update on a new computer pre-installed with it, so you cannot roll it back because IE 8 was never installed to begin with.  I am running into the same issue with a Bank Web-Site not allowing IE9, it will work when I use the developer tool to use as IE8 but i would like to know how I can make that permanent as it resolves back to ie9 mode after reopening IE.
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 4:23 PM
  • f12 doesn't work on the website I need.  It still senses IE 9 and says that it is an unsupported browser whether I choose IE 7 or 8 as browser mode.

Monday, November 07, 2011 6:07 AM
  • I was just able to uninstall ie9 using the update view even though it is a brand new computer. ie9 was installed prior to purchase via update and was not truly native. ie8 is now on my win7 machine.
    Sunday, November 20, 2011 8:53 PM
  • My new Dell workstation with Win 7 64 Ultimate, came preloaded with IE9. Went and removed IE9 using same process as TrekDozers. Re-opened internet explorer and it opens fine automatically with ie8 version 8.0.7601.17514.  Didn't have to download IE8.. it just defaulted to the previous version of IE. Just my experiences
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 7:13 PM
  • My new My Windows 7 PRO 64 bit SP1 computer is having serious problems with IE9 which it came with.  IE8 was never on the system.  I am puzzled by your answer as none of the 4 alternatives to click  in your answer seem to be applicable to the situation that IE8 was never on the system.   Incidentally I have 2 Notebooks also with Windows 7 PRO 64 bit SP1 both with IE8 and they do not have any of the problems with the new PC. 
    Saturday, February 11, 2012 11:49 AM
  • IT CANNOT BE UNINSTALLED IF IT IS NOT IN "PROGRAMS AND FEATURES"  WHICH IS WHAT MOST OF YOU ARE ASKING, BUT MORONS KEEP ANSWERING INCORRECTLY!
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 3:12 PM
  • "Shat Ap" wrote in message news:1f4008bb-6899-4649-87ba-c14c3fb08c2c...
    IT CANNOT BE UNINSTALLED IF IT IS NOT IN "PROGRAMS AND FEATURES"  WHICH IS WHAT MOST OF YOU ARE ASKING, BUT MORONS KEEP ANSWERING INCORRECTLY!

It can be uninstalled from the Installed Updates list  - it doesn’t appear in Programs and Features listing!

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 3:25 PM
  • Guys...

IE9 can be installed in 2 ways..

1- As a standalone IE9 installer from Microsoft website. To uninstall you need to look under Program and Features as an Application

2- Downloaded from Windows Automatic Updates. Again to install, you need to look under " Installed Updates List"

If IE9 was preinstalled with OS, then you need to look under "Turn Windows Features on or Off". Search for that phrase under start Search

wait for a few minutes and Look for IE9. Uncheck IE9 and click OK to remove

Then download standalone version of IE8 from here http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=43

• Edited by Ramesh Asari Thursday, February 23, 2012 5:22 AM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 5:15 AM
  • Guys...

IE9 can be installed in 2 ways..

1- As a standalone IE9 installer from Microsoft website. To uninstall you need to look under Program and Features as an Application

2- Downloaded from Windows Automatic Updates. Again to install, you need to look under " Installed Updates List"

If IE9 was preinstalled with OS, then you need to look under "Turn Windows Features on or Off". Search for that phrase under start Search

wait for a few minutes and Look for IE9. Uncheck IE9 and click OK to remove

Then download standalone version of IE8 from here http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=43

Once you have turned IE9 off, then what?  you dont' have a browser to launch and download IE8?  I just did what you said and I get application not found, which is EXACTLY what I was concerned would happen.  A little more research and alot less guessing would be helpful.  Also any attempt to do this results in a message box saying that IE8 is not supported with Windows 7 
    Wednesday, February 29, 2012 9:04 PM
  • Sorry, but the IE8 you gave the link to is for WIndows XP ONLY.  It will NOT install under Windows 7, hence the tlwright21's post.  There is NO available IE8 download for any version of Windows 7.  If you have the install discs for your WIndows 7, you can re-install the OS, which will put you back to IE8, but then you have to either be VERY careful with your Windows Updates, as it will automatically upgrade you to IE9, or install the IE9 blocker kit to avoid the automatic upgrade.  I'm going thru this now because we have a couple of service vendors we can't do without that do not support IE9....

Larry Fugate

Network Engineer

CEFCU

Monday, May 14, 2012 3:15 PM
  • perfect !!!!
    Friday, August 17, 2012 10:24 PM
  • please see steps at trekdozer for instuctions to rescue IE from a new computer buy.
    Friday, August 17, 2012 10:26 PM