Problem connecting my DELL laptop to canon hv20 camera using windows vista

Question

• hello friends,

Please help me to solve this problem,  i bought new studio 1535 dell laptop eagerly to edit movies shot in cannon HDV hv 20 camera. but even though the laptop has IEEE1394 firewire port , and windows vista home premiuim capable of detecting new hardware and updating drivers,  camera is not detected.
     i have installed HDVsplit also. But windows movie maker in VISTA itself should detect my camera but it doesnot.

i am seeing RICOH OHCI compliant IEEE1394 host controller in device manager, is this the driver?? or what??

how can i check whether firewire ( Hardware) is installed in my computer?

Saturday, October 18, 2008 10:07 AM

Answers

• Hi

It seems that the device driver is not installed properly, so both Windows Movie Maker and HDVsplit cannot recognize the device.

The anti-virus and firewall may block the device, I suggest that you temporary disable them and then check the result.

If the issue persists, I suggest that you remove third party driver installation *.inf cache.

Step1. Show hidden folders

=========================

1. Click the Start button, Click "Computer" -> "Organize" -> "Folder and Search Options".

2. Click the "View" tab. Under "Hidden files and folders", click "Show hidden files and folders".

3. To display other hidden files, uncheck the "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" check box.

Step2. Rename the USB inf relate files

1. Click the Start Button, type "%windir%\inf" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and press Enter.

2. Please locate "Infcache.1" file, right click on it, click Properties, select Security tab, click the current User Account name, click Edit, check Full Control checkbox as Allow, then all the checkbox will be checked  as Allow, click OK, click OK.

3. Right click the Infcache.1, select Rename, please type infcache.1-bak in the text box, press Enter. Then Infcache.1 would be renamed to infcache.1-bak.

4. Please locate all the files beginning with "oem", for example: oem0 and oem.PNF. Please follow the steps above to rename all the files.

5. Please restart the computer.

Then you may hide system files and hidden files again.

If the issue persists, please collect the device installation log. Open the folder C:\Windows\inf, and find the file setupapi.dev(.log). Please then open the following website and upload the log.

https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=f78e8c43-dcd2-4e73-bede-b79eec77dc83

Password is ZgDt2-aQZL3QQ

Hope it helps.

Friday, October 24, 2008 8:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What is your operation system? Movie Maker in Windows Vista Home Basic and Windows Vista Business systems do not support HDV format. The following website has introduced Windows Movie Maker and Movie Maker HD.

Explore the features: Windows Movie Maker and Movie Maker HD

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/features/movie-maker.aspx

If your system does not support it, we may just use HDVsplit instead.

However, if your system supports HDV, please let me know if the device is recognized in HDVsplit. If not, the issue is related to the connection between the device and the computer. I suggest that you take the device to another Windows Vista computer and test if it works. If the issue still occurs, contact Canon and check hardware issues, also confirm if we need to change some settings on the device.

However, if the device is recognized in HDVsplit, please make the HDV "Playback std" and "DV output" settings on the camcorder before plugging in the firewire cable, then turn the camcorder off and plug in the firewire cable while it's off and turn on the HV20 in the play mode.

If the issue persists, please let me know if you have installed any third party Codec packs. Additionally, please let me know if the device is recognized in Device Manager.

Hope it helps.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 5:31 AM
  • hi,

thanks for your reply. my system OS is windows vista home premium which supports HDV import. i have tried in HDV split also for importing, but my laptop cant recognize the camera.  i tried connecting my camera with my friends system APPLE MAC -using Final cut pro. it works fine. so,  as u said the problem lies between computer and device.

i have opened device manager , there's one item  IEEE1394(is this a firewire i need or just a bus ) bus host controller, and i opened it , it shows RICOH OHCI compliant IEEE 1394 host controller, and checked its properties, its says driver is updated and works fine. 

camera settings are fine, since it connects with other machine. so, i dont know what to do, why my camera is not recognized in my laptop.

Thursday, October 23, 2008 8:53 AM
  • Hi

It seems that the device driver is not installed properly, so both Windows Movie Maker and HDVsplit cannot recognize the device.

The anti-virus and firewall may block the device, I suggest that you temporary disable them and then check the result.

If the issue persists, I suggest that you remove third party driver installation *.inf cache.

Step1. Show hidden folders

1. Click the Start button, Click "Computer" -> "Organize" -> "Folder and Search Options".

2. Click the "View" tab. Under "Hidden files and folders", click "Show hidden files and folders".

3. To display other hidden files, uncheck the "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" check box.

Step2. Rename the USB inf relate files

1. Click the Start Button, type "%windir%\inf" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and press Enter.

2. Please locate "Infcache.1" file, right click on it, click Properties, select Security tab, click the current User Account name, click Edit, check Full Control checkbox as Allow, then all the checkbox will be checked  as Allow, click OK, click OK.

3. Right click the Infcache.1, select Rename, please type infcache.1-bak in the text box, press Enter. Then Infcache.1 would be renamed to infcache.1-bak.

4. Please locate all the files beginning with "oem", for example: oem0 and oem.PNF. Please follow the steps above to rename all the files.

5. Please restart the computer.

Then you may hide system files and hidden files again.

If the issue persists, please collect the device installation log. Open the folder C:\Windows\inf, and find the file setupapi.dev(.log). Please then open the following website and upload the log.

https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=f78e8c43-dcd2-4e73-bede-b79eec77dc83

Password is ZgDt2-aQZL3QQ

Hope it helps.

Friday, October 24, 2008 8:42 AM
  • I'm having the exact same problem, Vista not detecting my Canon HV20. I can't import video at all. After I uninstalled the 1394, I connected the camera and rebooted. the Dell found the 1394 and reinstalled, and then found my camera, but installed it as a generic storage device.  Movie Maker nor any other editing program will import video. I've searched every where for a driver to manually install for the camera but can't find it. Not even sure that is the answer.

Monday, November 03, 2008 8:23 PM
  • I'm having this same problem also, may Mini DV camera is a JVC.  This "Movie Maker" program came already on my computer when I ordered it, shouldn't they have made sure it worked?  I also have VISTA version.  Please give me additional ideas.

Thank you.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 9:30 PM
  • I am also having the same problem. I have a brand new Dell XPS 420 with lots of ram etc, It comes with IEEE firewire. My canon HV20 has a DVI out that connects to firewire. I have tried everything including completely whiping the Dell computer and starting over with original factory specs. Still no luck. The funny thing is that when my new computer arrived I had no problem connecting the camera and capturing. Dell actually changed my motherboard in case that was the problem. It was not. I have problably spent 30 hours on this issue. I have to put my kids hockey games on DVD's so that we can do video training. The whole team is counting on me and I can't get this to work. Please help. Thank you.

Sunday, December 07, 2008 11:50 AM
  • I have a similar problem with a Canon HV10 miniDV camera. I have a new Dell 540s with Vista Home Premium x64 SP1. The system recognizes it as an HV10 but only as a Sound, video and game controller, not as an Imaging device. I cannot get any HD video off the thing with either Window Movie Maker or Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 12.1. It worked fine with XP on a Dell Dimension 4700C.

I did find a Hotfix for the Vista 1394 driver (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951410 it will be included in Vista SP2) that allowed me to capture in DV mode. I don't want DV mode, I want HDV! After all, that's why I have an HDV camera!

Has anyone found a fix?
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 1:46 AM
  • Hi,

This is most likely a Codec issue. Is there any error message when you try to import the video in Windows Movie Maker?

I suggest that you remove any third party Codec packs and players.

Additionally, you may try to connect the camera to other Windows Vista computers and test if it works properly.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 7:29 AM