none
Conexant High Definition Audio Driver - Toshiba P100 running Vista only getting '2 Channel Stereo' not '5.1 Surround'

Question

• I have recently upgraded my Toshiba P100 to Vista. The model I have has a SPDIF connection which worked fine under XP. I was getting superb 5.1 surround. Since the upgrade to Vista I have only been able to get 2 channel stereo instead of 5.1. There are no options to select any other configuration except 'stereo'. I have tried a number of different drivers and I am currently using the one from the Australian Toshiba website - Conexant High Definition Audio Driver  for Vista Ver 3.18.0.51.

I assume that the drivers arent 100% yet but was hoping someone has come across this problem previously and has a simple workaround. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Malcolm

Saturday, April 07, 2007 1:21 PM

All replies

• Malcom H:

I have searched the web for a quite a while to find someone with a similar problem. I have the exact same issue, sound works, but I cannot change channel, sample rate or bit depth.  Any progress on a solution?  If anyone can advise how I can get these settings to work under the conexant venice high definition audio chipset with  vista home premium it would be greatly appreciated. On my audio properties, I only show one available format  of 48 khz 2 channel with a 16 bit depth.  No other options show, even though I know the hardware is capeable of 5 channel and varying sample rates and bit depths.

Sunday, May 06, 2007 11:04 PM
  • Stuart,

I am yet to find a solution. I originally did a clean install of Vista and then used the drivers from the Toshiba website which did not work properly. I ended up going back to XP. I have recently recieved the Vista Business upgrade DVD from Toshiba. I have gone through the upgrade process and the laptop is working fine except for the sound (and remote). The issue is exactly the same as the one in my previous post. In short, I cant get anything other than stereo. This implies that the issue isnt related to a bad Vista install but leads to the audio driver being the issue.

I will be contacting Toshiba in the next few days to see if they can solve the problem. If I manage to get a solution from them I will let you know.

Mal

Monday, May 07, 2007 6:06 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I agree with you that it does, indeed, appear to be a driver problem.  I have contacted HP about this, and purportedly, they are aware of the problem and may be releasing a new driver.  I also alerted Microsoft about this problem.    Hopefully, this gets resolved sooner than later.
    Tuesday, May 08, 2007 5:33 PM
  • I contacted Toshiba Austalia about the driver issue. The tech that answered the phone had no idea what I was talking about and asked where I had downloaded the driver from. When I said "the Aussie website" he replied "Oh... you should probably download drivers from the European site. They are far more reliable." Very reasuring! As it turned out, it didnt solve the problem. I will try again at some stage. Hopefully I will find someone that can help or at least acknowledge that there is an issue. If I find a solution I will post again.

Mal

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 9:00 AM