none
Do we have to wait till October 26 for drivers?

Question

• I have just purchased a new Dell notebook with a full HD display.  Do I have to wait till after Oct 26 for Dell to make available the drivers?

Right now my Radeon display adapter and gigabit Ethernet adapter are not working using the Windows 7 drivers.

Thanks.

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 1:34 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As the error says, please wait for an updated version driver to be released.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by K.Kong Thursday, September 06, 2012 9:59 AM
    Thursday, September 06, 2012 9:43 AM

All replies

• When you say not working, is it just the installer saying it cannot install (OS version check issue) or did you install them fine, but they still don't work.

Don't forget to mark your posts as answered so they drop off the unanswered post filter. If I've helped you and you want to show your gratitude, just click that green thingy.

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 2:19 PM
  • The Radeon driver installed ok, but it just won't work.  The Catalyst Control Center failed to run.

For the Ethernet driver, it says file not found or something like that during installation. 

Are Windows 7 drivers supposed to work equally well in Windows 8?

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 2:44 PM
  • Are you running the W8 preview compatible Radeon ?   I guess I don't know what 'series' radeon we are talking about, so this may or may not help.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Windows8ConsumerPreviewDrivers.aspx

Don't forget to mark your posts as answered so they drop off the unanswered post filter. If I've helped you and you want to show your gratitude, just click that green thingy.

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 3:01 PM
  • My Radeon driver is the latest Windows 7 one from Dell's web site.  After installation Windows 8 reports it as AMD Radeon HD 7600M Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.20).

Unfortunately the 7600 is not listed in that AMD preview page.

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 3:12 PM
  • Run AMD's auto-detect and it will let you know if/when they have a better driver available. 

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/auto_detect.aspx

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 3:25 PM
  • The auto detect software says Graphics hardware: Radeon HD 7xxxM Series, Operating system: Unknown 64-bit.  I am surprised it is giving so generic information.

Then it says The best driver for this device is: catalyst_mobility_64-bit_util.exe.  It installs something in C:\AMD.  When I point the Radeon driver to update from this folder, it says that my driver software is already up to date.  When I run the CatalystMobility.exe in that C:\AMD folder, it says AMD Catalyst Mobility cannot be downloaded due to incompatible hardware /software on your computer.  The version of your graphics adapter is not supported.  Please contact your notebook manufacturer for a graphics driver update.

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 3:51 PM
  • Hi,

As the error says, please wait for an updated version driver to be released.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by K.Kong Thursday, September 06, 2012 9:59 AM
    Thursday, September 06, 2012 9:43 AM
  • AMD has released win 8 drivers and catalyst for most of it cards.  Keep looking to them for you issue not Microsoft.
    Monday, September 24, 2012 8:50 PM