none
USB MIDI not working in Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Question

• The problem is that even though my devices are recognized in Control Panel/ Sound and in Device Manager, no MIDI data actually flows and I cannot sync my keyboard to the Yamaha software that edits it.  The error message in the Yamaha software reads “The following MIDI ports can not be opened at this time”.   At first, MIDI was working and I could sync up, but after about a week, right around the time I uninstalled and re-installed a MS Lifecam, it failed and has not worked since.

I have been working directly with Yamaha tech support on the issue for some time. I have a Yamaha SX70 XS keyboard, which is recognized by Windows as a connected USB device. It is self-powered, not powered by USB. I am using the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver version 3.1.2 for Windows 7 64-bit (the latest driver). And the latest versions of all their editing software for Win7 64-bit. They assure me that those work for other users of Win7 64-bit. In my case though, everything shows up in Windows, but MIDI doesn’t actually work. And I cannot sync to the keyboard due to the above error message.

Yamaha tells me that their USB-MIDI driver is installing fine on my machine, except that it’s missing a windows driver at the bottom of the driver stack. (You can see this in Device Manager, Properties/Driver tab, then Driver Details. The missing driver is ksthunk.sys, which I think handles kernel streaming. Sounds like that would relate to MIDI data. They have never heard of this driver not showing up there, and they cannot reproduce the problem. ksthunk.sys is on my machine in c:\windows\system32\drivers\ and in the registry the image path is \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\ksthunk.sys

All devices are “working properly” in Windows Device Manager, despite that missing driver. Yamaha MIDI Driver is shown in Control Panel/Sound, and it can be worked with there (opened, closed, configured, etc.).  I have also tried three different USB cables (but those shouldn't be an issue since the keyboard is showing up in Windows).

I was also advised by Yamaha to edit registry key  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32  and remove all midi, midi1, midi2, etc entries, then uninstall and reinstall all drivers. Which I did, but it didn't help. So far, no amount of re-installation, event viewing, uninstalling devices, numerous reboots,etc has fixed it. On this machine, that driver just doesn’t hook up to the Yamaha MIDI driver and show up in the stack.

So it looks like it may be a Windows 7 config problem on my machine, and I'm hoping someone here can give me some advice on how to fix it. The Microsoft forums contain a fair number of users reporting similar problems, some are audio and some are webcam related. I've followed those threads, and done several of the suggestions, but haven't found a solution to this one.

This is a Dell XPS 8300 Windows 7 64-bit PC with all the latest updates, only about six weeks old. I've been struggling with the MIDI problem for most of that time.  I'm an IT professional (network and systems admin), so you can be fairly technical in your response.

Any suggestions will be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Thursday, February 09, 2012 7:51 AM

Answers

• ... and I am glad to tell that I could fix it myself:

I edited the registry in the entries for 4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318. There I added  a new Multi-String Value "UpperFilters" with data "ksthunk".

I hope it helps you as well.

• Proposed as answer by Horst-Otto Sunday, February 12, 2012 5:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by keyman7 Monday, February 13, 2012 5:15 AM
    Sunday, February 12, 2012 5:18 PM

All replies

• In the following website there are steps to change the MIDI output. Try the steps to change the device output and see if one of the listed device should work.

http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/microsoft-public-windows-vista-music-pictures-video/49240-vista-how-change-midi-output-device.html

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Friday, February 10, 2012 10:12 AM
  • I am so glad I found keyman7's description, since I have exactly the same problem.

The problem is not related to MIDI output! I have it with a pure USB-MIDI-input device (keyboard), whichs produces "unknown externeal error" every time I try to select it as input. The same thing occurs with a USB-MIDI-Cable.

I compared the driver details from my system (Dell T1500 windows 7 pro 64 bit) with those of another windows 7 pro 64 bit. On that other system the device works like a charm (so it is not the hardware, either).

On the other system I find ksthunk.sys in addition to the modules that are listed on my system as well (beeing \windows\system32\drivers\drmk.sys, ..\prtcls.sys, ..\USBAUDIO.sys and \windows\system32\SysFx.dll, ..\WMALFXGFXDSP.dll).

Can it be some other USB driver is interfering with this driver stack? I have no idea how to figure out which one it could be. Or, it has been suggested in other threads with somewhat similar looking symptoms, ksthunk.sys has been removed as  UpperFilters entry?

Help - please!

• Edited by Horst-Otto Sunday, February 12, 2012 2:22 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Horst-Otto Sunday, February 12, 2012 5:18 PM
    Saturday, February 11, 2012 4:44 PM
  • ... and I am glad to tell that I could fix it myself:

I edited the registry in the entries for 4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318. There I added  a new Multi-String Value "UpperFilters" with data "ksthunk".

I hope it helps you as well.

• Marked as answer by keyman7 Monday, February 13, 2012 5:15 AM
    Sunday, February 12, 2012 5:18 PM
  • Brilliant! Thank you Horst-Otto!

In my case, I added the Multi-String Value with data=ksthunk just as you suggested. Added that to two keys that were listed as 4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 with Default = Sound, video and game controller, Class=MEDIA. I didn't touch any of the other entries for 4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318.

Way to go on that fix!

Hope this helps others. I will post it to the other forums where I have been looking for an answer.

Monday, February 13, 2012 5:25 AM
  • Can you guys make a video about this please please

keyman7......Horst-Otto

Thursday, June 07, 2012 8:43 PM
  • win7 ultimate

my piano is connect to my laptop midi cable in/out to usb ..when i install the driver from yamaha 

its say error 25001  no device conect 

Thursday, June 07, 2012 9:41 PM
  • wow.. i've been dealing with this midi headache for over 2yrs.  as i was reading these posts i took for granted they were from long ago..then i looked at dates and happy to see they current..(not happy at others frustration).. every 4 to 6 months i run through my midi keybrds hoping one will hookup.. but just like others..computer sees keystations..installs drvrs fine.. just wont carry my midi signal. im sooo hoping this is the fix.. my old xp was so accommodating and effortless..running win 7/64 now.  i want to edit the reg. for "ksthunk" fix but im reticent about writing string.. "Multi-String" "UpperFilters" this stuff is lost on me..i was hoping rodi3d' request for vid would help.  maybe could you Horst-Otto.. could you layout the string as if showing a "half wit".i.e. dumbass" the way to key it in.man i would appreciate that so much. 2 yrs. no consistent synth access.if this works its huge fix. i want to make joyous sound. thank you for bread on the water.  

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 7:54 AM
  • I realy don't understand what you did in the regedit... bcs you write only in parts... can you give us a solution from begining.. download this, uninstall this.. go to this folder...go run ...go regedit... then put this there....
    I wanna connect my mixer with my laptop with a USB/MIDI from logilink... 1 LED works (power) and the other not IN/OUT leds...

You know what I'm talking about :D bcs you had the same problem...

Thanks for help.... I'm using for the first time in life a german windows 7 64bit... and have problems
    Friday, August 03, 2012 1:30 AM
  • Yeah I am having this same problem and have not found any solution, this sounds like the most promising thing  so far, but I too culd really use the detailed instruction on what to do in the registry... any help would be really appreciated!.
    Saturday, August 25, 2012 9:18 PM
  • Thanks for the help guys, I don't know which fixed my problem but after having my devices disappear after updating to Korg's USA_Korg USB-MIDI Driver - 1.1.4r3 driver, I first

deleted all of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32  midi, midi1, midi2 enteries as suggested above.

When this didn't work, I discovered that I already had the "UpperFilters" Multi-String present... I deleted it and re-added it.  After a reboot everything went back to working.

Thanks a million, thought I was headed towards a reformat.

Saturday, November 03, 2012 10:48 PM
  • Horst-Otto you are a genius, and save my life. THANKS, THANKS, THANKS!!!!
    Sunday, September 15, 2013 5:15 PM
  • Yeah I am having this same problem and have not found any solution, this sounds like the most promising thing  so far, but I too culd really use the detailed instruction on what to do in the registry... any help would be really appreciated!.

Type "regedit" in the search bar, then go to:-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318

Then right click - New - Multi-String Value, change name to "UpperFilters" then change data entry to "ksthunk"

Had this problem after a windows update install and was banging my head how to solve it! Thanks so much to Horst-Otto :-) 

Thursday, October 10, 2013 11:32 AM
  • Thanks for the ideas.

I had totaly differant problem that your solution fixed

I have ION Video forever working with  eMPIA Technology

USB2.0 VIDBOX FW and Arcsoft Showbiz.

It worked fine in Windows 7 , it had problems in Windows 8.

I compared the driver details, and found tskhunk.sys missing in the Windows 8 environment.

I applied your fix in the registry ... and it works !

However, I still dont understand why ??? Whos software is in error ??

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 9:23 AM
  • There is an excellent video on YouTube that shows you exactly what to do, step-by-step. I had had this problem for about 18 months, and was despairing of ever using MIDI again. This video showed me what to do, and I was up and running in 5 minutes! (It is the same fix, but with each step explained.)

The address is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn5VEFoAjVE

Highly recommended.

Tuesday, February 04, 2014 1:50 PM
  • Thank You!!!! Times Infinity!!!!!! After trying everything I could find I decided to take a chance and enter the forbidden land...THE REGISTRY!!! LO and BEHOLD I followed the instructions and after a restart I was in business again. Again Thank you Horst-Otto!
    Tuesday, April 08, 2014 5:36 PM
  • Hi! I have this same problem, and i try to solve it with this advice. In my case there is already this Multi-String Value with ksthunk, but it doesn´t help. Could You explain what exactly did You do as You " added that (ksthuk?) to two keys ... Default=Sound... and Class=Media? Did You add this ksthunk to there also? How exactly? Thanks.
    Monday, August 18, 2014 7:14 AM
  • Same here. I'm using a Windows 7 Pavilion dm4-2015dx and trying to connect my Roland HP 237 to the computer. The driver is installed and working and windows sees it as a working device and as a USB audio device in "properties." I'm using Audacity. I tried the ksthunk thing and found it was already there...deleted it and made a new one as indicated by Horst-Otto, restarted and nothing. 
    Wednesday, August 20, 2014 3:19 AM