none
USB Mass Storage Device Not Recognized

Question

• I have a Toshiba USB External HDD. Windows 7 does not even recognize it when plugged into the computer. Below is what i've tried:

1 - Tried all USB ports, does not work on any

2 - Tried uninstalling/reinstalling USB controllers, does not work after this still

3 - Reinstalled OS, still doesn't work

4 - Tried some solutions found in this forum, still does not work

5 - Connected the Toshiba EXternal to other computer (laptop) and works fine

6 - I checked the .inf file for usbstor.inf and the contents, from what i can tell are correct. 

7 - I have a wireless mouse which works fine in it's current USB port and other USB ports on my desktop

I have been messing with this for days now...can someone offer up a solution perhaps? 

NOTE: I have tried Microsoft's "fix it" program and that also did not solve my issue. The Mass Storage HDD is lit up on the HDD itself but does nothing and it does not appear in device manager nor disk management. 

Monday, January 23, 2012 5:50 PM

Answers

• Yes it's compatible with XP, Vista and Win 7. I figured out the problem although i can't really explain how it worked. I tried a bunch of different USB cables and none worked on my Win 7 desktop but they all worked on the laptop running Vista. I dug into my closet and found a few more cables and found one that finally worked. The cable is normally used for our GPS TomTom...how ridiculous is that...lol...a USB cable for a GPS works but the original that came with the drive didn't and several others. They all worked on the laptop though...go figure! 
    • Marked as answer by damejune2 Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:38 AM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:38 AM

All replies

• Is your HDD compatible with windows 7? what was the os on your laptop?
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 7:58 PM
  • Yes it's compatible with XP, Vista and Win 7. I figured out the problem although i can't really explain how it worked. I tried a bunch of different USB cables and none worked on my Win 7 desktop but they all worked on the laptop running Vista. I dug into my closet and found a few more cables and found one that finally worked. The cable is normally used for our GPS TomTom...how ridiculous is that...lol...a USB cable for a GPS works but the original that came with the drive didn't and several others. They all worked on the laptop though...go figure! 
    • Marked as answer by damejune2 Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:38 AM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:38 AM