none
Windows 8 install fails

Question

• I bought WIndows 8 Pro and went to install and it fails continuously just before rebooting. It says its going to reboot but never does just a message comes up that it failed, no explanation nothing.
    Saturday, October 27, 2012 3:07 PM

Answers

• Hi dwellerbda,

Did you perform fresh install the Windows 8 on you PC or just upgrade from a Windows 7 client?

If you are upgrade to Windows 8 and you copied the install image in a DVD or USB device, i would like to suggest you unzip the image to your D: partition, and launch the install process setup.exe. 

How about run a "repair"/In-place upgrade in Windows 7 recovery console and then try to upgrade to Windows 8 again?

“Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.”

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 9:32 AM

All replies

• Im having the same issue,

I uninstalled all issue software, ran windows update, disconnected all external devices and nothing, its really starting to PISS me OFF

nothing in setuperr logs either!

• Edited by ryane65 Monday, October 29, 2012 2:36 AM
    Monday, October 29, 2012 2:35 AM
  • Hi,

Try to install Windows 8 in Clean Boot mode for a test.

Or try another installation method, such as using a USB device.

Alex Zhao

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 7:05 AM
  • Alex I have tried both of your suggestions plus many many others all to no avail, nothing seems to work

And just an FYI, but the installation process on XP 32bit doesnt seem to give an option to users to create media for installation (usb or DVD) I had to download a MS program (Windows7USB-tool) and make a dvd per another thread

• Edited by ryane65 Tuesday, October 30, 2012 1:54 PM
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 1:54 PM
  • I am having almost the same problem but upgrading from windows 7 professional to windows 8 via and SD card.  The install gets 100% through and says the PC will new restart or may restart several times but never does.  I have to cancel out of it after 8 hours one time and then it just wound the pc back to windows 7.
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 2:20 PM
  • Hi dwellerbda,

Did you perform fresh install the Windows 8 on you PC or just upgrade from a Windows 7 client?

If you are upgrade to Windows 8 and you copied the install image in a DVD or USB device, i would like to suggest you unzip the image to your D: partition, and launch the install process setup.exe. 

How about run a "repair"/In-place upgrade in Windows 7 recovery console and then try to upgrade to Windows 8 again?

“Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.”

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 9:32 AM
  • Same issue here. I'm upgrading from Win7 Pro to Win 8.  Pretty much a vanilla install of Win7 too.  The only issue the preview found was that I was running Microsoft Defender so I had to uninstall it.  This is really frustrating.
    Sunday, November 04, 2012 12:37 AM