none
Internet connection keeps dropping out on windows 7 but I still have network access

Question

• Hi, I have a problem with my Internet connection on a pc running Windows 7 Professional 64bit.

It first happened yesterday and has happened again today. I still have network access but no internet access. The troubleshooter doesn't do jack then suggests I connect to the internet for further help.

Fortunately, my dad's laptop is perfectly happy to connect to the internet via the same router. Both PC's can access each other on the network.

I have tried everything I can think of, using another wireless adapter, using a different USB port, disabling and enabling the wireless adapter, even plugging and unplugging the router from the phone line and turning the router on and off, although that shouldn't be a problem as my dad's Vista laptop connects just fine. I've even tried turning my firewall off.

I saw something elsewhere that suggested turning off the v6 protocol which I have also tried. That hasn't helped.

Turning the computer on and off again seems to be successful but I don't want to have to keep shutting down everything I am working on and then wait half an hour for it to shut down and restart again ( I exaggerate, but only a little!).

I haven't installed anything odd in the last few days, aside from tons of Windows updates.

Oh for windows XP, if the connection dropped out, right clicking the network icon and selecting repair seemed to do the trick. 

Can anyone help me please?

I don't want to have to use this laptop with it's tiny screen and horrible keyboard!

Thursday, December 22, 2011 1:11 PM

All replies

• Hello James,

Did you tried to Upgrade Network Driver?

Can you post more information about that?

Thursday, December 22, 2011 1:26 PM
  • I didn't try to upgrade my network driver as I keep all my drivers up to date, even if windows 7 doesn't seem to think I do. My scanner and graphics card are up to date stupid windows 7!!! Besides, if I used the windows 7 update links, I would end up with the 32 bit graphics card driver. What a heap of ****.

I have rebooted my windows 7 pc and once again have internet access, how long for I don't know. I have checked the RT73 USB LAN card driver is up to date, which it is, the latest being dated 30/9/2011, version 4.0.10.0.

Thank you :-)

Thursday, December 22, 2011 3:11 PM
  • Sorry, that's a bit ranty isn't it? I'm not having the best of weeks!
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 3:14 PM
  • This error is usually caused by the network driver, so I had to ask.

But in this Case, try a alternate solution.

Click start, type local and open the Local Security Policy
    Manager.

Select Local Policies -> Security Options, in the right find Network
    Secuity: LAN Manager Authentication Leven, and set to Send LM & NTLM - use
    NTLMv2 session security if negotiated.

See if the problem persists.

Thursday, December 22, 2011 10:07 PM
  • I'll have a go. I've been a bit busy the last few days.

I've had the problem a few times on reboot now as well, but still with network connection. I've also had my keyboard & mouse stop working a few times for no apparent reason - fixed by a reboot. I'm thinking a windows update looks like the likely cause! I've virus, malware, spyware scanned etc & all clean.

Thursday, December 29, 2011 11:46 AM
  • I've found and changed those settings Diogo Barreto.

Thank you, I'll let you know how I get on.

Thursday, December 29, 2011 11:52 AM
  • I've gave it a week to make sure before I marked it as an answer, and it was working, right up until today.

I lost my internet connection again after my computer resumed from 'sleep'.

As before, the network connection was working but the internet connection on this computer was not. Although in the week there weren't any random internet cut outs during browsing, so a partially correct answer :-)

Any other suggestions other than "Don't put your computer to sleep!!!"?

Also, I don't know if this is the correct place to ask as I'm not familiar with this forum, but why does the above suddenly appear to paritally fix this problem? Why was it working fine for the best part of a year on windows 7 and then suddenly not working, with no obvious recent software/hardware changes? And what exactly is that setting doing that it wasn't doing before?

Thursday, January 05, 2012 11:29 AM
  • Sorry but it doesn't appear to be fixed anymore at all.

On booting the computer this morning, once again I had not internet access on this machine but had network access. Internet access was still available on other devices.

I double checked the settings advised by Diogo Baretto and they are still in place.

A second reboot was needed to restore internet access again.

Friday, January 06, 2012 3:39 PM