none
DVD/CD Rom Drive on Window7

Question

• I have CD/DVDW unit TS-H652L on HP Pavilion Media center Desktop PC

Since upgrading to Windows 7, the unit reads only CD, but doesn't read DVDs - I can even burn DVDs that work on other computers, but cannot read them on my PC

With CDs everything works normally.

The DVD unit also isn't listed in Windows explorer in the files list unless I have a CD inside - like it doesn't exist.

I have tried everything found - i deleted the Upper and Lower filters in the registry, uninstalled and reinstalled the device; the update driver doesn't offer any new version and I have version 6.1.7600.16385 that is from year 2006 - deleting the upper and lower filters in registry; I don't have iTunes installed, ... I tested with data DVDs, commercial movie DVDs, DVDs burnt by me, burnt by others,... none worked

I don't even know it it is related to the DVD unit or is just some weird windows 7 bug - I noticed it some months ago immediatly after upgrading (as I had to install office from USB disk) - and I lived with it so far and hoping that drivers would be updated or more users would get to same issues and find resolution but still now I cannot find any answers when searching.

Hoping somebody here can come with a new idea what could be wrong and suggestions how to repair :-)

Thank you in advance

Sunday, August 08, 2010 10:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post!

For the first thing, please try to boot the computer from a Windows Installation DVD.

a). If we can boot the computer, this issue could related to a Windows related setting issue.

b). If fail, this issue could be a hardware issue.

If it’s a Windows issue, please try to take following suggestions:

Change the Transfer Mode

==========================

1. Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the “Start Search” box and press Enter.

2. In the Device Manager, expand "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" and right click "Secondary IDE channel".

3. Choose "Properties", check the Device Status and click "Advanced Settings".

4. Change the transfer mode of Device 0 and Device 1 as "PIO only".

Click OK and restart the computer.

Does it work now?

Regards,

Miya Yao

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 9:54 AM
  • Hi,

thank you for your answer.

I have tried booting from installation DVD and seems to boot fine (the fact that in the boot list says CD-ROM and not DVD probably doesn't make a difference?)

However - in Device Manager I don't have Secondary IDE channel.

Under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers I have:
    1. ATA Channel 0
    2. Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 27DF
    Only the first has Advanced Settings but is disabled for notifications.

I tried uninstalling them to get back to original settings (in case with all the testings I have changed anything I shouldn't have) and after restart I got message that the same 2 IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers but the windows installing the drivers remains open and cycling to install driver software for CD/DVDW unit but didn't really get anywhere. Meanwhile I do have the unit in my Device Managers under DVD-CD Rom Drives (device suppose to be working properly) and I can play CDs but still not DVDs

Is Secondary IDE channel something that I was suppose to have? So far I thought the problem is with DVD unit and maybe is somewhere else?

as a note: I haven't made any hardware changes since (and before) upgrading to windows 7 and in Vista everything worked fine.

Kind regards,

Jana

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 8:58 PM
  • Hi Jana,

I’m glad to see you can boot the computer with installation DVD, it means your hardware is OK.

#1, It doesn’t matter when booting from installation DVD but the list shows CD-ROM. It’s controlled by BIOS. You can ignore it.

#2, The Secondary IDE channel is not necessary, I made an example for explanation, don’t be worry about it.

Although this issue could be caused by a driver, but also can be caused by some third-part software or malware influence your computer. Please try to enter Safe Mode to see if the problem still exits. If it works, the problem should be caused by third party software conflict. You can  try  Clean Boot to narrow down the problem.

Hope it works.

Regards,

Miya Yao

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:11 AM
  • Hi,

tried in Safe mode - and doesn't work also when in safe mode (so I didn't continue with cleanboot - I don't have Itunes or Nero or anything similar installed))

in Safe mode I get the CD in my list of drives - but saying only like it's a CD and not DVD unit - and can play only CDs and no DVDs

So I am guessing it is a problem with drivers? I have previously found solutions to this (like those here: http://www.windows7news.com/2009/01/15/windows-7-not-recognizing-dvd-drive/) but that didn't work for me. Also uninstalling the DVD unit and letting to get install again by searching hardware changes didn't help me getting any newer driver than the one I have from year 2006.

Any suggestions where to pick up from here? :-)
    Also HP site (my computer is a HP Pavilion Media Center) suggest for my computer only Vista drivers, which obviously don't work well on W7.

Kind regards,

Jana

Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:32 PM
  • Hi Miya,

do you have any other suggestions how can I solve my problem?

Kind regards,

Jana

Monday, August 23, 2010 10:15 AM
  • Hi Twitty,

It would seem that you need a firmware update. I could only find one for XP with a quick search. Which model is your computer?

Try checking the properties of the drive and determine the hardware id. You can

1. Click Start

2. Type dvmgmt.msc and select device manager from the results

3. Click to expand the dvd\cd drive category

4. right click the TS drive

5. select properties

6. select the details tab

7. select the hardware id in the drop down box

the last set of numbers will identify the firmware version. What is that version number?

TSST has an auto updater for your model drive to update the firmware to SC00-here: http://www.samsungodd.com/Eng/

Monday, August 23, 2010 11:33 AM