none
Taskbar disappears in Windows 7

Question

• The taskbar occasionally disappears and I have not found a way to get it back other than rebooting the system.  The Start icon is still showing but the rest of it is invisible.  If I enable 'Auto-Hide the Taskbar' an application window will extend to the bottom as expected but if I disable it the application window extends to the top of the area where the taskbar should be but is not.  I can see the desktop back ground there.

What can I do to get the taskbar back when it goes away and why do you suppose it disappears in the first place?

Thanks, Dick

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 1:03 AM

Answers

• Thanks Niki,

I had seen the 3rd party screen saver as a possible culprit in my research but dismissed the possibilty.  But in fact I did change to a third party screen saver by using an Asus one that was delivered with this Asus laptop.  That would be considered third party I decided.

Anyway, all of your suggestions make sense to me.  Of course it takes time for the problem to appear so I won't know the results of any one action for a while.  A reboot does not tell me immediately whether or not the problem has been resolved because that fixes it for the time being.  I'll post my finding when I have some.

Thanks again, Dick

• Marked as answer by Dick Swager Thursday, November 17, 2011 2:25 AM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to verify if you use any third party screensaver. When did the issue occur? To address the issue, you can refer to the following suggestions.

1. Test the issue in Safe Mode. If it doesn't occur in Safe Mode, try clean boot.

2. Click Ctrl+Alt+Del to call Task Manager, end the explorer.exe process, click File, New Tasks, type explorer.exe to re-create it.

3. Use ShellExView to verify third party extension.

a.       Download ShellExView v1.41 from the following link http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.zip

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

b.      Right-click the "shexview.zip" file, select "Extract All", the Extraction Wizard will prompt.

c.       Click Next, input "C:\ShellExView" (without the quotation marks) in the "Files will be extracted to this directory" textbox.

d.      Click Next and click Finnish.

e.      Open the "C:\ShellExView" folder and double-click the "shexview.exe" file. It will scan the registry for all the shell extensions.

f.        Select all the non-Microsoft extensions in pink by press "Ctrl" in the keyboard.

g.       Click the "Disable Selected Items" on the toolbar and click Yes.

h.      Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.

4. Create a new user account to test the issue.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 9:37 AM
  • Thanks Niki,

I had seen the 3rd party screen saver as a possible culprit in my research but dismissed the possibilty.  But in fact I did change to a third party screen saver by using an Asus one that was delivered with this Asus laptop.  That would be considered third party I decided.

Anyway, all of your suggestions make sense to me.  Of course it takes time for the problem to appear so I won't know the results of any one action for a while.  A reboot does not tell me immediately whether or not the problem has been resolved because that fixes it for the time being.  I'll post my finding when I have some.

Thanks again, Dick

• Marked as answer by Dick Swager Thursday, November 17, 2011 2:25 AM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:44 PM
  • Niki,

I changed the screen saver to the Bubbles one and the problem has not re-appeared.  Of couse there is still time but I'm thinking that was the answer.

Thanks, Dick

Thursday, November 17, 2011 2:27 AM