none
Windows Boot Manager, 0xc00000e9 HELP NEEDED

Question

• Hello all,

Just returned from my holidays and now my 2 month old MS Windows Vista Home Premium pc won't start up anymore.

I get a message from Windows Boot Manager, that Windows encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

File: \Boot\BCD

info: An unexpected I/O error has occured.

Already, I read all the threads discussing this issue, but still I did not fing THE solution here....

Because of the new PC all my data have been stored on this, removed it from my old one and format that oldie. However, I did not create a backup again...Stupid of course, I want to do that after the hollidays.

When surfing on the internet (now with my old pc) all kinds of possible solutions I found....

- use your recover CD - does not work, because of possible loss of data

- use boot CD like UltimateBCD or Hirens, - they do not fix the problem

- use HDD Regenerator or DiskPatch- they do not find the HD....

I tried to attach the HD into the old PC, but unfortunately this one is IDE and the new one SATA....

So, I still do not know what happened here and can not recover my data.

Oh and I read some stories about a new virus that is destroying the MBR - perhaps my pc has been infected. Normally my pc is on....but MS Firewall is turned on....it is strange, this

Did anyone already find THE solution here.

My Specs

- Siemens Scaleo L

- HD Seagate 500 GB, SATA

- 4 GB memory

- MS Windows Vista Home Premium , SP1 installed

Thanks anyway, Renzo

Sunday, August 17, 2008 11:36 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Renzo, let's first check if the computer can be started by using Last Known Good Configuration. To start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature, follow these steps:

1. Start your computer.

2. Press the F8 key.

3. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press ENTER.

4. If you are running other operating systems on your computer, use the ARROW keys to select Microsoft Windows XP, and then press ENTER.

We can also check if we can start the system in Safe Mode:

1. Start computer.

2. Press F8.

3. Select Safe mode.

4. Press Enter.

Meanwhile, please also check other USB devices on the computer, you can disconnect them and try to start the computer again.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 6:08 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Renzo, let's first check if the computer can be started by using Last Known Good Configuration. To start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature, follow these steps:

1. Start your computer.

2. Press the F8 key.

3. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press ENTER.

4. If you are running other operating systems on your computer, use the ARROW keys to select Microsoft Windows XP, and then press ENTER.

We can also check if we can start the system in Safe Mode:

1. Start computer.

2. Press F8.

3. Select Safe mode.

4. Press Enter.

Meanwhile, please also check other USB devices on the computer, you can disconnect them and try to start the computer again.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 6:08 AM
  • Hi Sean, thanks for answering....

Already tried that, the thing is completely dead....it shows the BIOS, but no HD. Yes, sometimes it shows a HD but not all the time. I checked all the cables. Nothing

Also, I built the HD into another PC but nothing... So, all my data is lost. Luckely I have a backup of march 2008m but that is far away

And the worst thing, I do not know what has gone wrong....

Of course, I learned a lot of this.. and already bought an external disk to backup. But it is too late for 4 months....

If you have other suggestions?

Thanks anyway, Renzo

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 7:09 PM
  • Same thing, same error happened to me just now after a flipping awesome trip in Vegas...

Nothing like coming home to a problem!!  Grrrr.... >: {

I will attempt to resolve mine and update you with the outcome...
    TonyP
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 5:56 AM
  • Hey there,

I tried using BIOS to run a quick hard drive test for good measure to see if software was my problem. I found that my Hard Drive was pooched and is no longer useful other than a momento to my fun times with the laptop. Basically run the test and see if there is a pass or fail.

CamF
    Monday, September 28, 2009 11:14 AM
  • I had this issue over the new year week end and here is what I did which helped me recover which may or maynot help understand the real cause.

1. In the BIOS, I disabled USB setup
    2. removed USB cable connection from motherboard.
    3. Inserted Windows CD for fixing issues.
    4. Disconnected network connection
    After a reboot, I am able to login.

Thanks and good luck.

Sunday, January 03, 2010 4:33 PM
  • Cameron19 is the answer that worked for me, or at least showed me my hard drive is now just a nice paper weight. Press F10 at startup and select Primary Hard disk self test. My computer is only a few months old and the hard drive failed. I think it is the following problem, 

Gradual disk failure (or partial failure) may present in the following ways:

• Spontaneously vanishing data
    • Patchy but significant slowing down of the PC
    • Windows errors and crashes
    • Auto-ScanDisk surface scan on startup
    • S.M.A.R.T error during BIOS phase of startup
    • Explicit disk error messages during startup or in Windows
    • Errors found when running a S.M.A.R.T. utility
    • Errors found when running ScanDisk or similar diagnostics

Did anyone else notice the following problems in the lead up to the crash/ failure to start?

• Hard drive activity LED stays continuously lit
    • Either no hard drive noise, or cyclical repeated sounds
    • Mouse pointer "sticks" and keystrokes may be delayed
    • Slowdown is variable, i.e. only when "sick" disk is accessed

Sunday, October 17, 2010 10:47 PM
  • I had this same issue (File: \Boot\BCD - Status: 0xc000000e9 - info: An unexpected I/O error has occured) in three of my laptops (different manufacturers but all with one thing in common: bad bateries) after they ran out of power while running Windows 7.

I re-installed the OS when it happened on the first two laptops to get around the problem. When it happened on the last laptop I used the following procedure and recovered from the problem:

- Boot to the recovery disk and open a command prompt. Let the recovery disk attempt to perform a startup repair, it it succeeds you are in luck and do not need to proceed any farther. In my case, the startup repair failed with an error indicating that it could not save the startup options, an indication that there was some kind of disk error.

- Use the command prompt to find the boot partition (hint: it contains a folder named "boot" at the root and the folder conatins a file named BCD).

- Run chkdsk on the boot partition with the /f/r options (example: chkdsk /f/r c:). In my case running chkdsk was very slow and it ran overnight.

- Re-boot the machine once chkdsk is done using the recovery disk and use it to perform a startup repair. In my case, this succeeded and was able to re-boot and have windows working again.

I guess that an alternative would be to obtain the disk utilities from your hard drive manufacturer and use them to repair the disk corruption issues and then try the recovery disk to perform a startup repair.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

BTW: I ordered new batteries for the laptops.

Friday, November 19, 2010 3:41 AM
  • AltaRocks, I have the same issues as you bro. This is very awful feel like all my data is lost. start up repair failed for me also. I am doing the chkdsk test now so hopefully it works. will keep you posted.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 8:21 PM
  • hi,

i am having the same problem with my acer aspire 7741  

is it possible that the problem is caused by overheating the laptop?

my laptop is getting very hot, i guess a cooling fan is bad  

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 7:45 PM
  • Hi. I have the exact same problem. I don't care about the files or programs on my computer. Also, I see a lot of steps here on how to fix it, putting in disks and all. But my computer is really small, so I don't have the possibility of putting in CDs. Can I actually use my computer again? Do I have to take it to an expert? Please help!
    • Edited by Jackzy Thursday, November 24, 2011 12:24 PM
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 12:12 PM
  • I think that the error you are getting is due to a hardware problem pertaining to your computer's BIOS. Basically it is telling you that the computer is not able to reliably communicate with the hard drive. As you have no external device plugged in to your computer, there might be some drivers conflicting. You might need to remove sound card etc from BIOS. If windows does not complete startup repair then it gives option to perform system restore.
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 12:05 PM
  • sorry i don't speak your langage. bonjour , les amis j ai trouver une solution a propos de <<BOOT MGR ABSENT>> ereur 0x00000e9

il vous suffit juste de changer de disque dur ou de barette de memoire c est tous.

Sunday, March 25, 2012 11:22 AM
  • et aussi aler dans le bios dans la partie advance  puis laer sur IDE  et regarder tous les liste de peripherique conecter sur votre ordinateur

puis regarder : sata hard disque =dique dur 

sata : tsst corps ect....=le lecteur cd rom 

et IDE salve si c ecrit not detected alors vous dever changer de barette de memoire

et si c pas ecris ca alors vous changer de disque dur merci pour tous

Sunday, March 25, 2012 11:28 AM
  • Hi Sean Zhu,

I belive you can help me ...

I bought tOSHIBA l750-1nj two weeks ago... and yesterday i use google chorme and computer stopped working properly.. i cant move mouse  commadn CTRL- DELETE+ END doesnt work, so i decide to shut it down by holding power button. When it shut down, i start it again and it said :

Windows Error Recovery

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.

IF windows files have been damaged or configured incorrectly, Start up Repair can help diagnose and fix the problem. If power was interrupted during startup, choose Start Windows Normally.

and i have two options - Launch Startup Repair(recommended)
                                         - Start Windows Normaly.

line :"windows is loading files:" come to 75% and then i get Windows boot manager..

if i choose any of this two.. i allways get this message :

Windows Boot Manager

Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable  stroage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.

If you continue to receive this error message, contac the hardware manufacturer.

Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred.

And i have two options ENTER=Continue - ESC=Exit.... but any you choose you ll be here again...

So if you know how to solved this problem without restarting OS please help me, because on this laptop i have all my PHP, JavaScript project :((((

All BEst

Ivan Dasic

Sunday, July 22, 2012 3:35 PM
  • Hi all , 

I had the same problem , but it's gone by changing the RAM so try it , and I hope it will help you as well. 

Monday, June 03, 2013 11:08 AM
  • This helped me out big time - many thanks!
    Friday, November 01, 2013 9:51 AM