none
Drivers for NEC Superscript 870 Printer

Question

• I am still using a NEC Superscript 870 Printer on WinXP.  NEC no longer supports this printer.  I have searched for Vista drivers which I could try with Windows 7 but have found none.  I heard that the HP Laserjet II drivers work for Vista but cannot find them either.  Need help!!
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 4:30 PM

Answers

• Windows 7 is a new operating system (only the beta version) and the whole driverstore are reprogrammed; not all the previous device drivers are compatible with this new system. I suggest that you should wait for another period of time till the retail version is released and push the vendor company to upgrade their device driver. Thanks for your time and understanding!

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Wednesday, February 11, 2009 3:49 AM
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 7:58 AM

All replies

• Windows 7 is a new operating system (only the beta version) and the whole driverstore are reprogrammed; not all the previous device drivers are compatible with this new system. I suggest that you should wait for another period of time till the retail version is released and push the vendor company to upgrade their device driver. Thanks for your time and understanding!

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Wednesday, February 11, 2009 3:49 AM
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 7:58 AM
  • I have this same printer. In Win7RC, the printer is identified but says no driver found. I think it still works with minimum functionality though.
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 4:16 PM
  • I just checked and the NEC SS 870 printer is found but placed under "Other devices" in Device Manager. You cannot print to it. It says no drivers have been found, however it is correctly detected as and named "NEC SuperScript 870". I tried to force it to use the WinXP drivers on the WinXP install disk in the i386 folder, it finds them and tries to install. However it always says there was a error.

WORK AROUND. If you go in "Devices and Printers" you will see it under "Unspecified (1)". I tried to force it to use the HP LJIII drivers and they don't appear in the list. HOWEVER if I go in 'Add a printer' and manually set it up, chose printer on LPT port, use driver and look for all updated drivers, select the HP LaserJet III driver, and that creates a printer that Windows 7 will print to and uses the NEC SS 870. It shows up in 'Printers and Faxes (3)' above the real detected printer in "Unspecified (1)" which still doesn't work. Why does add a new printer allow me to search the internet and MS updates for more drivers than when updating drivers for discovered devices? I even have it shared out on the network to a WinXP computer and it works. That was another hassle in sharing between WinXP and Win7.
    • Proposed as answer by gts1965 Tuesday, April 12, 2011 2:04 PM
    Sunday, June 07, 2009 9:38 PM
  • If you are still interested in getting the NEC SuperScript 870 printer working with Win7 I have a work around below.

Other options I might be trying would be hooking it up to my Windows Home Server (it has a LPT) and sharing it out or trying to set it up with a LPT to Ethernet network print server adapter.
    Sunday, June 07, 2009 9:42 PM
  • 1) Anyone yet find a direct driver for the 870?

2) I now have the 870 connected to an XP machine on the network and am copying over and bringing documents up on it to print. Is there a way to connect a networked printer and force (even bring up) the LJ III driver? As far as I see, I can only browse for an .inf file - no manufacturer/model dialog where I could load the other driver by choice.
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 12:04 AM
  • If the Windows 7 machine is 32 bit and if the print driver is included with the XP OS and you have an XP CD, you can install the print driver using the Have Disk button when using Add Printer to manually assign the printer to LPT1 (or the parallel port you have attached this).

If you machine is 64bit create another printer on the XP machine that uses the III driver and sends data to the same parallel port.  If you are  connected to the internet on the Windows 7 machine, the Laserejt III driver will be downloaded form Windows Update when creating the connection.
    Alan Morris Windows Printing Team; Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here: http://support.microsoft.com/search/Default.aspx?adv=1
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 1:05 AM
  • Well, after a LOT of reading and even more mucking around, I finally got this to work for Win7 - 64 bit.

Components:
    - Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 bit
    - TrendNet TE100-P1P Print Server (about $40)
    - NTPRINT.INF, PRINTUPG.INF files from WinXP Pro 64bit CD's (credit belongs to another person who posted that there was a 64 bit version of the ss870 printer driver)

Caveats:
    - When I first tried to install the driver manually through the Win7 Add Printers wizard, I had permission issues until I logged in as the Administrator.  Once I did that, I was able to proceed (by clicking on the Have Disk button and then browsing to where the NTPRINT.INF and PRINTUPG.INF files were located which added the NEC SS870 to the list of printers), but then it started asking for various files from Win2000 CD (/boggle).The manual installation failed on the very last step, but these files may have eventually contributed to my success.  Some of them were ncpclres.dll, stdnames.gpd, unidrv.dll, unidrvui.dll, unires.dll, ss870.inf, n870.gpd (the latter two coming from a driver site on the internet).  Note that the date on the ss870.inf file was Feb 10, 2000.

- The TrendNet Print Server attaches directly to the back of the NEC SS870 printer.  No parallel printer cable required (I'm not going to admit how long it took me to figure out why I couldn't find a Centronix to Centronix cable anywhere!).

- The TrendNet Print Server defaults to an IP address of 192.168.0.1.  Many other devices default to this as well.  I strongly recommend that you change it or use DHCP.

Steps:
    1) Configure your TrendNet Print Server (IP address, Server Name, Port Name, and update to latest firmware if required).
    2) Use the PS Wizard that comes with the TrendNet Print Server CD.  I've tried to configure this connection manually on multiple different machines (WinXP, Win7 32 bit, Win7 64bit) with no success.  However, the PS Wizard works like magic. 
    3) The PS Wizard should automatically "discover" the Trend Net Print Server
    4) Click on the Add Printer button
    5) Click on the Have Disk button
    6) Browse to where your files are and select the ss870.inf file.
    7) Click the Next button
    8) Optionally change the Network Printer Name (this is the name that shows up in your printer list)
    9) Click the Next button
    10) Click the Print Test Page button and cross your fingers.  It worked for me!  =)

All due respect to Alan Morris, but this may be a better solution for people as I understand that the LaserJet III printer driver is 300 dpi versus the NEC driver which is 600dpi.  Also, a cheap print server on the network is a lot more convenient than having a dedicated computer with a parallel port.

Next is to try Alan Morris' suggestion for Win7 - 32 bit for my other computer (however, using the Minolta Pageworks 8L printer driver which is also 600dpi, but faster than the NEC SS870 printer driver and it worked flawlessly on my WinXP box).  Before people get their hopes up, I've looked high and low, but have not found a 64 bit version of the Minolta printer driver.

Best Regards,
    AJ
    Friday, January 08, 2010 6:55 AM
  • No problem, I'm just attempting to get ink/toner on paper.  Glad you got this working.
    Alan Morris Windows Printing Team; Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here: http://support.microsoft.com/search/Default.aspx?adv=1
    Friday, January 08, 2010 4:45 PM
  • This work around (from jgs9455) was really helpful for my windows 7, but I don't have an LPT port.  What I used instead was the "virtual USB port" with the HP LJIII driver (which loaded only after I updated the driver list) and now my NEC SS870 is back for hopefully another 10 years of printing.  Thanks!
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 12:34 AM
  • Well, I didn't have an LPT port, but there was the WXP computer with the NEC on it, so I reinstalled it as an HP LJ IIp and now I can connect to it over the network with the W7 machine and the HP drivers load. Had no way to force HP the HP drivers while the NEC was connected to the XP machine as an NEC as the process is automatic - is there a way??? If not, I am still thankful it works!!!
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 3:27 AM
  • There is a much easier way to install this.

Components:
    - Win 7 64-bit Home Premium / Ultimate
    - TrendNet TE100-P1P Print Server
    (If my NEC Superscript 870 was connect via Parallel port, the steps are very similar)

- Click 'Add Printer', on next page, select 'Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer', then click 'Next'
    - Select 'The printer that I want isn't listed', then click 'Next'
    - Select 'Add a printer using TCP/IP address or hostname' since I'm using a Printer Server, then click 'Next'
    - On the next page 'Type a printer hostname or IP address'. Select 'Autodetect' for Device Type. Then this part, you'll need to know the IP address that I set up for my printer. And enter a Port Name (can be any name). Be sure to UNSELECT 'Query the printer and automatically select the driver to use'
    - Then wait a minute or so for Windows to detect the TCP/IP port
    - On next page 'Additional port information required', select Device Type 'Custom', then click 'Next'
    - On next page 'Install the printer driver', select 'Windows Update' so Windows can download a more extensive list of printer list, will take a minute or so.
    - Now select 'HP' for Manufacturer, then select 'HP LaserJet IIP' for Printers, then click 'Next'
    - Then on 'Type a printer name', you can change name back to 'NEC Superscript 870', then click 'Next'
    - Next page Printer Sharing, select if you want to share this printer or not, click 'Next', and click 'finish' on next page and DONE!
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 3:28 AM
  • You, wepabear sir, are a genius.  I'd never expected to find such a direct answer to the  legacy hardware I had and the new solution I had just by chance purchased--the TE100-P1P print server.  Thank you so much.

The maddening thing was that after I followed your step to Windows Update for my drivers, it offered several NEC options at last...but no NEC 870, despite its popularity to this day.  Any forum to collectively agitate for a real driver to be added?  Also, how did you know to pick that particular HP IIP driver?

Again, thanks for saving me a couple hundred bucks at least, as well as a mountain of pre-purchased toner.  So generous of you to offer this.

Thursday, April 22, 2010 1:04 AM
  • You are welcome but I cannot take any credit for this as countless others had contributed to this solution.

Using the HP IIP driver was discovered by someone when Vista first showed up. Unfortunately, the HP IIP driver will only print on the NEC 870 using 300dpi, not NEC 870's hardware capable 600dpi.

There is a solution this!! (Tho this require a few extra steps each time you want to print)

If you are running Windows Vista or Windows 7, you can download from microsoft a free program called VirtualPC (an alternative to this is Sun VirtualBox from Sun Microsystem). You can then install WindowsXP (if you happen to have this) onto VirtualPC. Then you'll have to install the appropriate programs that you use plus the correct NEC printer driver. And every time you need to print at 600dpi (the NEC 870's hardware resolution), you'll need to start up VirtualPC, run WinXP, then print using whichever program you have inside WinXP. (For Windows 7, this is the famous XP Mode they were talking about. XP Mode is very handy in situations like this and there are many other benefits as well.)

Requirement:   Your computer hardware must be able to do Virtualization in order to take advantage of VirtualPC or any other Virtual Machine programs. You also need to have a Windows XP install disc if you do not have Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate.

Thursday, April 22, 2010 3:12 AM
  • I'm beginning to realize this...when I printed a Word document, and especially when I printed an online newspaper article, I had numerous errors with certain characters or entire lines of text.  I'm not at home to test my theory now, but it may be that printing at the lower resolution (dpi?) would avoid this.  I'm not even sure if there is an option, since I remember being a bit surprised at the lack of fine tuning in the print screen late at night when I finished.  Non-native drivers will do that, I suppose.  I may try experiment with other substitute drivers (I noticed people mentioning the HP LJIII, for example) if that doesn't work, but hope that enough voices for a real driver will arise.

Hey, it seems to have worked for XP 64-bit, and the NEC 870 was long dead by then.  Hope springs eternal.  Thanks again for your guidance.

Thursday, April 22, 2010 1:03 PM
  • NEC had long stopped supporting this legacy printer. The NEC Superscript 870 came out over 10 years ago. In fact, if you go onto the NEC website, you will see that they no longer make any printers at all.

The fact is that this printer is very dated, the resolution (even if you can print at 600dpi) is far inferior to today's laser printers. The printing speed is a joke especially when there are graphics involved.

As much as I love this printer, I'm only continuing to use this because there is still a lot of toner left and it hasn't died on me yet after all these years! =)

BTW, if you computer can handle it, you should give VirtualPC or VirtualBox a try.

Thursday, April 22, 2010 6:37 PM
  • This is an old thread, but people (like me) are obviously still using this printer and looking for this info ... so I thought I would post what I figured out.

I got the NEC SuperScript 870 working perfectly in Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit) with good features

... like (600x600 DPI res. and N-up page printing) ... using only official Microsoft digitally-signed drivers. I'm running mine off a D-Link DP-300u ethernet print server.

a.       Open All Programs/Accessories. Right click on “Command Prompt” and select “Run as Administrator”

b.      Type the command “printui /ip” . Select Add a TCP/IP Printer

c.       Type of Device = TCP/IP Device , Host Name or IP Address and Port Name can both be the same … the IP address of your print server box: 192.168.5.200 (in my example). Unselect Auto Detect. It will still try to detect. A garbage page might print. Power cycle your printer and print server box to reset them and clear buffers.

d.      Leave next screen on Standard (Generic Network Card). Leave next screen on “Install a new driver”. Click Have Disk and browse your Win-XP Pro (64 BIT) CDROM. Open the f:\AMD64\NTPRINT.INF file. Click OK and the list will refresh to the digitally signed XP-64 bit drivers on the CDROM. Select Nec then SuperScript 870. I unselect “Share” because it’s shared through the print server, not Windows. Follow the prompts and it should install.

e.   Print Processor is WinPrint/ RAW / Port 9100 (the defaults)

There ... dodged the bullet one more time. Now we can go back to saving our pennies for that new color laser while our existing toner carts. slowly run out.

Edit: I also wanted to mention that the HP-II or HP-IIP (and several other HP drivers I tried)... only printed garbage. Also, if you try do do this without the first Admin elevating step, when you get to the end, the install will fail with an "Access Denied" error message.

More info. on this printer can be found here:

http://www.computergripes.com/NecSuperScript870.html

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 1:16 AM
  • Vince:

Short story-- you did it!  The other suggestions turned out to be close-but-no-cigar solutions that would print out the occasional garbage and nonsense symbols at best.  BTW, I'm using a TrendNet TE100-P1P Print Server.  I recommend it greatly for both XP and 7, 32 or 64-bit systems.

While I've just gone through this process, I notice it had some quirks, like when I highlighted your response here in this thread and told it to print "selection only,"  it would print the outlines of the page instead.  This may be a problem unrelated to the solution, but this and the fact that there are almost no options to choose from in the printer's properties dialogue box (dpi, envelopes, etc.) may indicate that this is still a stripped-down option with some difficulties and deletions.

Still, not looking a gift horse in the mouth--you rock, and it's so great that everyone is banding together to help solve problems like this.  Hmm...so if this solution exists using existing MS drivers, why isn't MS itself presenting this, say, as an install option native to Win 7 perhaps through an update?  'Cause they care so bad it hurts???  Thanks again for sharing!

Friday, July 02, 2010 5:10 PM
  • You are welcome. Glad I could help.

I just tried in on another (Win7-64 fresh install) machine. Looks like the minimal files required from the \AMD64\ folder on the XP-x64 cdrom are NTPRINT.INF, NTPRINT.CAT, and DRIVER.CAB. It worked by clicking "Have Disk" to a folder with only those 3 files in it. It works either way.

I looked at the printer options and config on an old XP-32 install. To me, they look exactly the same. It identified 2mb ram installed in the printer. Envelopes and special paper is there. 600 to 300 dpi is not an option ... it just prints at 600 dpi by default. You can print something in a super small font to verify.

Printing from web pages is always iffy because of possible coding that only applies to printed output. Best just to Copy the text and Paste it into a real app.

Thanks for testing it on your system and network.

I wonder how we change "The Answer" in case people stop reading before they make it all the way down the page?

Saturday, July 03, 2010 2:51 AM
  • This thread is VERY timely.

I got a new machine that I'm running Win7 64bit.  I too also have an NEC Superscript870 that plane refuses to die!  (I even found a 500 sheet paper tray a short while back for only $25 on eBay!)  I also have the TrendNet TE100-P1P (wonderful little device).

Anyway, I can follow all the steps that you guys are advising (I had a somewhat similar problem installing the same printer on Vista).  However, Win7 is my first 64 bit OS, and I don't have a 64bit install disk to retrieve the older drivers from (NTPRINT.INF, NTPRINT.CAT, and DRIVER.CAB).  Is there an available online shared source for these particular files?

TIA.

Friday, July 09, 2010 10:25 PM
  • Vince2 -

You so rock! 

I followed your directions, and I was able to successfully install my NEC Superscript 870 via the Trendnet Print Server.

Thank you very much!

Cian

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 6:22 AM
  • I was unable to do this because my system (HP HPE 390t) came with windows 7 pre-installed and I did not receive a CDROM. the files and folders you mention above are not on my system. I searched extensively in administrator mode and could not find them. I found some things with similar names, but none worked. I found several NTPRINT.INF files, and a few NTPRINT.CAT files but no DRIVER.CAB file. Is there anything on the web that I can download? Or can I simply pretend it is some other printer?

Thanks.

Tuesday, August 03, 2010 11:26 PM
  • The 870 driver files were included in a different operating system version.  You would need a CD from an older OS.  If that is not available to you, you will have to use a compatible driver.
    Wednesday, August 04, 2010 2:07 AM
  • I finally got the NEC SuperScript 870 working on my Window 7 netbook by using the HP Laserjet III driver.  I just added a Laserjet III driver and changed the port to USB because that's how the printer is connected.  (My netbook has no LPT port.)  Seems rather a rather simple work around.  It is suggested by some of the other comments, but not SPECIFICALLY.  I vaguely remember that 10 or so years ago when I acquired the NEC that it would respond to the HP Laserjet III commands.  I have no idea how much funtionality I have lost with this driver, but then again, it now prints, which is a lot more funcitonality than it had before.
    Sunday, October 31, 2010 6:55 PM
  • You guys think too much!! Just use the HP Universal Print Driver for all NEC printers. Works great for Win 7 32 and 64. Yes, you will get that weird

"Unspecified" device on your printes list. Just ignore and manually install a local printer using the USB port. Easy Peasy!

Monday, November 22, 2010 8:40 PM
  • You guys think too much!! Just use the HP Universal Print Driver for all NEC printers. Works great for Win 7 32 and 64. Yes, you will get that weird

"Unspecified" device on your printes list. Just ignore and manually install a local printer using the USB port. Easy Peasy!

Yes, I tried that. I'm pretty sure selecting a printer like HP LaserJet III is provided via the Microsoft provided HP Universal Printer Driver. For me, it never printed correctly. It might be because I'm using a print server. However, most people are these days (especially with this printer) because no computers have parallel ports any more.

Can't use USB because this printer only has a parallel port.

Monday, December 13, 2010 12:00 AM
  • Vince2,

I have a new install of Windows 7 64 bit and do not have a XP 64 bit Pro Install CD.  Is there anyway to just get the 3 files necessary?  It would greatly be appreciated.

Friday, December 17, 2010 12:57 AM
  • Thank you so much for taking the time to post this. I have literaly sent 6 hours trying to get this printer to work and after following your directions it worked perfectly. I owe you big time! Thanks
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 2:05 PM
  • Thank you so much for taking the time to post this. I have literaly sent 6 hours trying to get this printer to work and after following your directions it worked perfectly. I owe you big time! Thanks

You are welcome. Glad to hear it worked.

I installed it again the other day after I fresh installed Win-7 Pro (64 bit) on my laptop. Those 3 files are indeed the only ones required (checked it again).

To those of you that are requesting copies of those 3 files. Sorry, but since they are part of Win-XP Pro 64-bit, I can't re-distribute them. Microsoft would have to release them or give us permission to do so. I think if Microsoft was able to do either, Alan Morris would have mentioned it in his 2010 post above.

If you can't do it my way ... be sure to try using the native HP Laserjet III driver. Myself (and others) couldn't get that driver to work properly (randomly prints extra garbage characters), but it sounds like it does work for some people.

Saturday, April 30, 2011 8:08 AM