none
High CPU usage: Windows Internet Explorer 8 on Widows XP

Question

• I am getting very high CPU usage when browsing with Explorer 8 (Windows XP)

'WiseFixer' diagnosed REGISTRY problems (188 of them) and EVICENCE FILES (1450 of these) and about 25 JUNK FILES as the main culprits. I run file clean-ups and defragmentaion regularly (windows and Norton)

How can I fix this please..?-Thank you:)

Friday, July 20, 2012 7:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• You have landed in wrong forum. The right one is here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/ieitprocurrentver/threads

Rgds

Milos

Saturday, July 21, 2012 9:19 AM
  • Thank you Milos

I'm sure I posted my original question in Explorer 8 forum, but perhaps I was mistaken.

Do you by any chance have any answers for me please? It isn't through meaness that I am seeking a cost-free solution, it is as I simply cannot afford to pay for professional tech-fix.

The ONLY additons I have to original MS package are:

1. Google Chrome (don't use)
    2. Norton 360v6
    3. A 'magnifying-glass' which I open occaisionally for a few seconds at a time (small print/maps)

I do update everything regularly and run both the Windows & Norton file clean-ups through. Have managed to remove the vast majority of Evidence files from previous owner (slight improvement) and don't run loads of spurious add-ons.

I recently tried to view online a short college movie (a fried was involed in) this caused such high CPU useage that although the sound came through, the visuals were just a series of  still-shots.

If you have a pointers which may be of help or know of any reliable freeware to fix registry errors I'd be obliged. I seems many of the so-called free-fixes only produce a free diagnostic report and then you have to pay £40-£50 for the actual fix.

Once again I thank you taking the trouble to reply to me :)

Mr Phil B

Saturday, July 21, 2012 7:05 PM
  • 'WiseFixer' diagnosed REGISTRY problems (188 of them)

Registry cleaning is not a good thing, unless you know what exactly the program is deleting.

Try resetting Internet Explorer first -

Open Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab > Click on Reset button. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset. Also, you may check the Delete personal settings checkbox as well to clear all saved passwords, cache, cookies, homepages and such information.

Your toolbars and add-ons will be disabled. You may enable them later from Tools > Manage add-ons.

Sunday, July 22, 2012 8:24 AM
  • To reset the Internet Explorer first, if the issue persists, you may reinstall it.

Have you cleared the browser cookies? To run with No add-ons mode for test.

Here is on article can be referred to.

Internet Explorer 8 starts in "No Add-ons" mode when you use the desktop icon to start Internet Explorer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976915

I also suggest you contact Windows XP forum for further assistance.

Windows XP IT Pro

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsxpitpro

Ivan-Liu

TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 23, 2012 6:45 AM