none
Opening .JAR files with Windows Explorer?

Question

• Hi. I have Windows 7 64-bit (x86) and I can open .ZIP files normally with Windows 7 built in 'zipper' or whatever you want to call it, but I've tried using 'assoc .JAR=.ZIP' in the command line, I've tried opening the .jar file with Windows Explorer, but no matter what it opens it with a command prompt. Is there a way to open it with Win Explorer? I do NOT want to execute the file, simply modify its contents (such as images.) Thank you for your time.
    Friday, June 03, 2011 1:32 AM

Answers

• I was just trying to do this myself.  I did this:

• Change the file extension to .zip and open it in WinZip.  ta-da!

I have heard this tip from a few people, and have just done this successfully myself.  However, I could not say whether modifying the contents and changing it back to .jar will cause into problems for you.  Of course you will have made a backup copy before you started playing with it... :-)

Here's what the Wikipedia article has to say:

JAR files are built on the ZIP file format. Computer users can create or extract JAR files using the jar command that comes with a JDK. They can also use zip tools to do so; however, caution should be exercised as to the order of entries in the zip file headers as the manifest likely needs to be first.

Cheers

Friday, June 03, 2011 4:26 AM