none
graphics adapter can't support aero on XP computer...i'm a bit confused about graphics adapter vs. video card

Question

• Hello all! i know that this is probably a fairly basic question but i am confused as to what drivers/hardware i might have to upgrade to be able to run aero on an older XP computer. I installed a new graphics card last year on it (nvidia geforce 7300 gs) which windows 7 upgrade advisor says is compatible but on the same report it told me that the graphics adapter is not. the computer shipped with an ATI Radeon Xpress 200---i guess i'm confused as to what exactly the graphics adapter is and how i go about seeing if i can upgrade it to run aero. Thanks so much!
    Monday, November 23, 2009 10:21 PM

Answers

• Hi reneeinpa

If you sure your're using Geforce 7300GS then you should able to use AERO on Windows 7.
    According to Nvidia official product data the card support DirectX 9 and Shader Model 3.0 and also had 256MB Video RAM.
    (While Windows 7 AERO requires at least DirectX 9, Shader Model 2.0 and 128MB Video RAM)

You can download the newest driver from http://www.nvidia.com,
    after installed the driver you should able to use AERO.

Also see this thread:

MCITP - Enterprise Support Technican MCITP - Enterprise Administrator MCITP - Enterprise Messaging Administrator
    • Edited by Dickson TB Lau Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:09 AM Info Update
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, November 24, 2009 8:28 AM
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:02 AM

All replies

• Hi reneeinpa

If you sure your're using Geforce 7300GS then you should able to use AERO on Windows 7.
    According to Nvidia official product data the card support DirectX 9 and Shader Model 3.0 and also had 256MB Video RAM.
    (While Windows 7 AERO requires at least DirectX 9, Shader Model 2.0 and 128MB Video RAM)

You can download the newest driver from http://www.nvidia.com,
    after installed the driver you should able to use AERO.

Also see this thread:

MCITP - Enterprise Support Technican MCITP - Enterprise Administrator MCITP - Enterprise Messaging Administrator
    • Edited by Dickson TB Lau Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:09 AM Info Update
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, November 24, 2009 8:28 AM
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:02 AM
  • thank you!
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 12:30 PM
  • Hi reneeinpa,
    Also, don't forget to check your bios settings to ensure that the onboard graphics are disabled or PCI-e/PCI (whichever one is your interface on the 7300) is first. Win 7 should have found the 7300.
    Post back with your result.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 1:16 PM
  • errr...i'm not entirely sure how to check those settings. i will check on HP to figure that out. right now i'm holding off as i need to upgrade my photoshop cs3 to cs4 for compatibility [didn't realize that] so i am holding off until either hit the lottery or knock over a convenience store to afford it.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 1:40 PM
  • reneeinpa,
    ok. sorry. you are preparing for an upgrade then. The 7300 is supported(Aero). You can run the Win 7 Upgrade Advisor to check for other issues also. get it here.

You can also find some informative reading about upgrading your system here.
    Good Luck!
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:05 PM