none
WERFault.exe

Question

• We are running Windows 7 without local administrator right. Usually our IT needs to install applications with admin rights. But after we upgraded to Windows 7 SP1, when we right-click on the exe files and choose to runas another user, the WERFault.exe window would popup. We can't close this, if we close one, another appears. the only way to make it disappear is to restart. 

Anyone has idea about this?

Thanks

Zero

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post if my post helps you.

Friday, August 03, 2012 4:29 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Werfault.exe is a Microsoft Windows program that is used for automated reporting  of problems in the Windows operating system.

Maybe the following while help:

• Click the Windows "Start" menu and select "Control  Panel."
    • Choose the "System and Security," select "Action Center" and choose the  "Change Action Center Settings" link in the left navigation  panel
    • Click the "Problem Reporting Settings" link.
    • Click "Never Check for Solutions."
    • Click "OK." Werfault.exe will now only run on your computer in the event of a  catastrophic application problem

Kind regards, Martin van der Voort. MCP, CPTS, CPTE, MCITP Server 2008, MCTS Exchange 2007

Friday, August 03, 2012 8:24 AM
  • So how i can know which is the problematic application that caused this issue? The information you provided seems to disable the feature, i know that most of the time if we have no idea why the issue occurred we can just disable something to pretend that we don't see it. i think this can be a workaround only when we are busy and have no time to troubleshoot it. What i'm worried is that there might be something wrong with my machine.

Anyway, thanks for your information.

Thanks

WSA

Help others first before you ask for help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, August 03, 2012 8:57 AM
  • You're absolutely right.

Are there any events registered in the event viewer?

Kind regards, Martin van der Voort. MCP, CPTS, CPTE, MCITP Server 2008, MCTS Exchange 2007

Friday, August 03, 2012 10:48 AM
  • 

Just see this.

If possible, just provide some common troubleshooting steps, then we can try it later when we have time.

Thanks

WSA

Friday, August 03, 2012 1:05 PM
  • Hello,

Error 0xc000409 is a critical Windows error and is usually caused by a corrupt registry entry.

A lot of werfault.exe errors are based on drivers.
    Make sure you run Windows Update and all of your manufacturer software is up to date as well.

Friday, August 03, 2012 1:36 PM
  • Hi,

This error seems being caused by drivers. I would like suggest you try to update your drivers to the latest. Also you can try to start your computer in a clean boot to check if the problem be solved.

Monday, August 06, 2012 3:35 AM
  • Thanks for your help. I would try your suggestions in the future. But as far as I know, I think most of the drivers or firmware are up to date, the Windows Update is set to automatically, so personally I don't think this can be helpful in troubleshooting. Also most of the issues when we run into out-of-idea, others would suggest that you may try to update everything, until the last choice: rebuild server.

Anyway, thanks for your information. If possible, I would still seek for some different options since rebuild is not a good choice if we do have other choices.

Thanks

WSA

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 2:19 AM