none
How to uninstall XP Mode? (when NOT listed under "Uninstall a Program" in Control Panel)

Question

• Some Note PCs (for example the 2010 Autumn Panasonic CF-S9) do ship with Windows 7 Professional and Windows XP Mode already preloaded.

In such computers, "Windows XP Mode" is NOT listed under CONTROL PANEL > UNINSTALL A PROGRAM.
    You can do the initial setup of XP Mode, and you can use XP Mode... But XP Mode does NOT appear on the list of programs you can uninstall from the Control Panel.

Now, users wanting to switch between 35 interface languages will upgrade to Windows Ultimate.
    These users will want to get rid of the preloaded japanese "XP Mode", in order to download and install an "XP Mode" version in the language of their choice.

What is the procedure to uninstall "Windows XP Mode" from such computers?

(I tried a full system recovery, but did'nt find a way to opt-out of the pre-installed "Windows XP Mode".)

Sunday, October 31, 2010 8:34 PM

Answers

• Ah, by the way, something I forgot to mention:

Initially, XP Mode was preloaded and waiting for install in Start Menu/All programs. Then I did injstall XP Mode.
    But at some point, after I realised that XP Mode was in japanese only,  I did a full system recovery, thus reverting to a state where XP Mode wasonly  loaded, but not yet installed.

In that new state, some of the XP Mode related files I mentioned in the past posting seemed not to be there anymore, while some other were there again, judt like before recovery.

This is the reason why it was not necessary to use the uninstallation string I got from André. Instead of that, I uninstalled Virtual PC and manually removed some files.                  

Monday, November 08, 2010 8:03 PM

All replies

• No comments?

Nobody ever had the same issue?

Well, I managed to call the Panasonic japanese customer service and got a solution.

I'll write it down here if someone requests it.

Tuesday, November 02, 2010 6:30 AM
  • Well, I managed to call the Panasonic japanese customer service and got a solution.

I'll write it down here if someone requests it.

When you ask ehre, you should also post the solution. Maybe other users want to know it, too.

I checked my Windows 7 installation and the uninstall command is this:

MsiExec.exe /X{1374CC63-B520-4f3f-98E8-E9020BF01CFF}

Is this the same solution?

André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Tuesday, November 02, 2010 12:26 PM
  • When you ask ehre, you should also post the solution. Maybe other users want to know it, too. 

... I succeeded in making at least one person curious enough to post an answer here :) ...

thank you very much for the uninstall command.

... The "solution" I got from the Panasonic team was not that good...
    They suggested going to
    Control Panel >  Uninstall a Program > Turn Windows Features On or Off
    and to uncheck the entry for Windows Virtual PC there on the Windows features list.

In fact, this hides XP Mode from Start Menu, but... it does NOT uninstall it.
    The installed version of  XP Mode remains lurking in the system until somebody re-checks Windows Virtual PC.

Well, I guess I will have to try the uninstall command. I guess the procedure will be:

1. Go to cmd.exe
    2. Navigate to C:>
    3. Type:  
        MsiExec.exe /X{1374CC63-B520-4f3f-98E8-E9020BF01CFF}
    4. Press <Enter>
    5. Pray that the system doesn't get messed up.
    6. Pray that all XP Mode files and registry entries are really deleted (No idea about their locations).

Any help or advise would be VERY welcome. 

Wednesday, November 03, 2010 6:25 PM
  • XPMode = the huge VHD file and not Virtual PC.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Wednesday, November 03, 2010 10:58 PM
  • XPMode = the huge VHD file and not Virtual PC.

The Panasonic Service team member who spoke to me didn't seem to know that XP Mode and Virtual PC are different things, indeed. But please let's focus on MY ignorance and not theirs in this thread.

My question here is how to uninstall a preloaded XP Mode in Windows 7 Professional / Ultimate. And I mean completely uninstall ALL of its components.

As posted, I have an urge to uninstall a pre-loaded japanese XP Mode before I proceed to download and install XP Mode in a language of my choice. (All this, just in order to be able to do ANY productive work in XP Mode on a brand new multilingual Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit system!) In Germany, anti-trust regulations do not allow Windows to be shipped with XP Mode preloaded, and I would not have this problem at all. But paradoxically, in a country with more permissive regulations I am having a ____ of a hard time trying to get XP Mode to work in a language of my choice within the multilingual capabilities of Windows 7 Ultimate.

@ André:
    I am just an unsavvy PC user without any knowledge about virtualisation, but I can tell that XP Mode definitely consists of MORE than just ONE hughe .vhd file.

I have been manually searching for a week now, and sofar I have already found three files (of considerable size) pertaining to XP Mode on different folder locations. 
    And I fear that there might be even some more XP Mode related files somewhere in the system (and maybe some registry entries as well). 
    I have googled for days, but sofar I haven't found any consistent nor authoritative information/documentation about XP Mode's components.

André kindly mentioned an uninstall command in a previous posting.
    I'd like to give it a try and I'm willing to run it from mcd.exe.

But as I am aware that this is not a standard procedure recommended to the users by Microsoft, I understand that, at least, I'll need to be able to check by myself wether all components related to XP Mode are cleanly deleted from the system after having executed this command.
    But... Where can we find a comprehensive list of all files (w. all their possible locations) and all registry entries (if any) related to XP Mode?

Further help is needed and will be highly appreciated.

• Edited by jerojero Thursday, November 04, 2010 10:17 AM complex thema is hard for me to express clearly
    Thursday, November 04, 2010 10:00 AM
  • XP Mode = Virtual PC (KB958559) + KB977206 (if your PC doesn't have hardware VT) + the VHD file.

To remove everything run the msiexec string I gave you and remove the 2 updates which are shown under "control panel->programs and features->instaleld updates"

Thursday, November 04, 2010 12:54 PM
  • @ André
    Thank you very much for being the only person here who cares to answer my question.

I will follow your last instructions, and I will post here the results.

Just one thing:
    Yesterday you posted that XP mode is a VHD file and not Virtual PC.
    Today you posted that XP Mode is the VHD file + Virtual PC.
    I don't understand how can these two statements be simultaneously true. Am I missing something?

Thursday, November 04, 2010 4:02 PM
  • Virtual PC is needed to run the XP Mode. When you want to remove everything ,remove Virtual PC too, if you want to keep it remove on the VHD.
    Thursday, November 04, 2010 11:01 PM
  •    Actually both statements are correct. XP Mode is basically just the large .vhd file. But if you want to remove all trace of virtual machines from your system, you should also uninstall KB958559 (Virtual PC) and KB977206 (if it is installed).

The XP Mode vhd file is a pre-installed version of Windows XP SP3. By itself it is just a file on your hard disk. In conjuction with Windows Virtual PC it allows you to run XP as a virtual machine.

Bill
    Thursday, November 04, 2010 11:05 PM
  • I want to say many thanks to Bill for replying to the question I posted. In order to succeed removing the japanese XP Mode I did uninstall Virtual Machine, and I removed manually some files.
    After that I downloaded XP Mode in the language of my choice and I reinstalled Virtual PC. All is now running OK, so my practical problem is solved, thank you very much, again.

But I still think that Bill's posting, in its actual wording, did not represent a genuine answer to the issue I  posted.

Let me explain my point: Bill writes "...if you want to remove all trace of virtual machines from your system..." But I never ever wanted to remove all trace of virtual machines. All that I wanted was to remove all traces of just ONE virtual machine: A japanese XP Mode htat I never did choose to install in the first place.
    Nothing against Virtual PC. Nothing against virtual machines as a whole.
    In fact, I was very glad to have aVirtual PC, a virtual environment from Microsoft where I'll be able to host virtual machines (including, but not limited to, XP Mode).

So I posted here asking for a way to remove just XP MODE (with all its traces). In fact, I  hoped that it  would be possible to fully remove XP Mode without having to uninstall Virtual PC.

Now, if, for my purposes, the only way to cleanly remove all traces of XP Mode involves uninstalling Virtual PC, I am OK with that. Actually, this is what I finally did... And it solved my problem! But it must be clearly stated that, originally, I did not WANT to remove "all traces of virtual machines" from my system. It now seems to me that I just HAD to remove Virtual PC in order to remove all traces of this one virtual machine: the japanese XP Mode.

For that reason, I would not want to mark these instructions in their actual wording as an answer to my issue (even if the instructions do solve this issue!) because this wording can be misleading for other forum users, who might be originally looking for a way to just uninstall all traces of an instance of XP Mode (and NOT "all trace of virtual machines").  

Please correct me if I am wrong.

(Just for information: In my system, I found two .vhd files (the larger one being over 1GB and the smaller one being about 0.6GB) and some other files with names that included "XP Mode". Two locations I remember include:
    C:\util\msupdate\vpc\
    and
    C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Virtual PC\Virtual Machines\
    Some of the files seemed not to be automatically removed from my system by means of removing "the large .vhd file".
    That is why , despite of actually not wanting to uninstall Virtual PC as a whole, I finally chose to uninstall Virtual PC.)

Monday, November 08, 2010 7:42 PM
  • Ah, by the way, something I forgot to mention:

Initially, XP Mode was preloaded and waiting for install in Start Menu/All programs. Then I did injstall XP Mode.
    But at some point, after I realised that XP Mode was in japanese only,  I did a full system recovery, thus reverting to a state where XP Mode wasonly  loaded, but not yet installed.

In that new state, some of the XP Mode related files I mentioned in the past posting seemed not to be there anymore, while some other were there again, judt like before recovery.

This is the reason why it was not necessary to use the uninstallation string I got from André. Instead of that, I uninstalled Virtual PC and manually removed some files.                  

Monday, November 08, 2010 8:03 PM