none
CPU usage high - svchost.exe

Question

• Hello,

I have recently reinstalled windows 7 RC1 (build 7100).
    However, I often notice my CPU usage being near 100%, needless to say my computer is pretty slow at these moments.

When I check taskmanager, it's usually 1 of the svchost.exe processes using 30-50% or more of my CPU.
    This didn't happen when I had windows 7 installed earlier, I just had to reinstall because I deleted some wrong stuff regarding bluetooth.

Why  is this process taking up so much of my CPU and what can I do to stup that?

Any help is appreciated.
    If you need more info, please say so.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 11:23 AM

Answers

• When I installed my RC, my CPU usage stayed near 100% all the time.  After searching, what worked for a lot of people was to disable a certain driver.  Go to Device Manager, System Devices, and then disable High Definition Audio Controller.  Doesn't hurt to try and this knocked my cpu to under 5%.  Took me a week to discover this so hope it helps.

Saturday, July 11, 2009 11:14 AM

All replies

• As "svchost.exe" is kind of a super process handling a variety of other tasks, you should use a tool like ProcessExplorer (from sysinternals.com) to identify the source and reason of your CPU usage.
    Mobile AMD64 3000+, VIA Apollo K8T800 chipset, 1 G RAM, ATIRadeonMobility 9700, 20x DVDRW, C:XPSP3 (55G),D:WIN7 (25G),F:DATA (250G)
    Friday, July 10, 2009 9:25 PM
  • Process explorer can be found in Cnet Downloads.
    http://download.cnet.com/Process-Explorer/3000-2094_4-10223605.html?tag=mncol

It will tell you what application is running under the svchost process and help to narrow things down.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 9:40 PM
  • The proper location to obtain Process Explorer from is the Sysinternals site - the utility's page on TechNet can be found here:
    Process Explorer
    Usually for this type of problem, it helps to configure symbols in Process Explorer. Then, when the problem happens, sort the CPU column in Process Explorer in descending order - what is the process that is consuming the most CPU?  Once you identify that process, visit its Threads tab in the Process properties, sort by Cycles Delta (descending) and get the full stack (not just the start address) of the topmost thread(s).
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 12:08 AM
  • When I installed my RC, my CPU usage stayed near 100% all the time.  After searching, what worked for a lot of people was to disable a certain driver.  Go to Device Manager, System Devices, and then disable High Definition Audio Controller.  Doesn't hurt to try and this knocked my cpu to under 5%.  Took me a week to discover this so hope it helps.

Saturday, July 11, 2009 11:14 AM
  • Hi Cuongism,

Sounds like your CPU usage was attributable to interrupts or DPCs.  Did you use a tool like Process Explorer to try to determine what was causing the CPU utilization?
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 12:15 PM
  • Hi, I had a similar problem and then I found an article that explained how to stop high svhost cpu usage very well. Here it is . Hope it helps.
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 5:04 AM