OK here is my configuration:

gateway GT5630E

Intel Core 2 Quad

8 Gig ram

2 Sata II drives configured as 1 volume raid 0

gigabit ethernet

1 externals usb 2.0 drive 250 gig

etc etc

OK i boot Vista without external usb drive powered on, and it takes approx 5-10 mins to get to CAD.  I powerdown the external usb drive, reboot, and less than a minute later i am at CAD.

Bios is only configured to boot hard disk/ optical disks only.  USB representation is set to auto, other options are represent all usb drives as fixed disks, removable, etc. Setting is Auto based on size. 

I have tried everything to no avail. any suggestions?

Thursday, February 28, 2008 12:53 AM

Answers

• Thanx for the info, however iwas able to resolve the issue...it seems that vista has a bug in that it tries to boot the usb keyboard...after not being able to via a timeout, then the boot continues.  I am able to reproduce this on vista x64 with quad core boxes... replace with a ps2 keyboard and voila problem disappears.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 1:36 PM

All replies

• I would like to know about this as well... I have a nearly identical situation. If my USB HDD is connected, it takes Vista an additional 3 minutes to boot. This pause occours right after the boot loader and before the booting Windows progress bar. After researching this, I found this issue could be rectified by disabling "USB Legacy Support" in the BIOS. Doing this removes that three minute hang, but there has to be a better solution... since I have a USB keyboard, this also prevents me from using my keyboard for the boot loader, and pretty much anything else pre-Windows boot.

For anyone who might be curious, here are my specs:

Core 2 Duo E6300
    Intel DG965WH Motherboard
    4GB DDR2-5300 (Crucial, 1GB x4)
    Internal 320GB Western Digital SATA HDD (OS is installed on it)
    Plextor PX-740A IDE DVD Burner
    Built-in Intel 10/100/1000 Ethernet
    Gigabyte GeForce 7900GS PCI-E 16x
    Windows Vista Ultimate x64
    Western Digital My Book Premium 500GB External HDD (Connected by USB 2.0, used as storage only)

Any help would be greatly appriciated!
    Friday, February 29, 2008 8:38 AM
  • Hi

For this problem, we recommend to contact manufaturer to check if any update with BIOS. It's a BIOS issue and depends on the external drive. Generally, if the manufacturers of devices don't provide drivers designed for Windows Vista, we can’t solve the problem just in Windows side.

Also, you can remove the external hard disk when booting Windows Vista, if possible.

Hope this helps. 

Monday, March 03, 2008 7:30 AM
  •  

i would accept that as an answer if the error occurred before vista loads and after post, but the error occurs when vista begins...any better ideas?  This also occurs with all mass sotrage devices that are plugged i nto any port, and i have close to 12 ports on this box.  anything not represented as a mass storage device or fixed disk works, ie my thumb drive or flash drive.  I assume that based on bios this limit would be 50 gig.
    Monday, March 03, 2008 6:32 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to suggest to perform following:

1. First, please run devmgmt.msc command and go to external disk. Then right click and select property->policy to choose optimize for performance.

2. Please refer to following reference to resolve slow boot time.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-010254.htm

3. Upgrade all devices drive of the computer.

Hope this helps. 

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 9:02 AM
  • Thanx for the info, however iwas able to resolve the issue...it seems that vista has a bug in that it tries to boot the usb keyboard...after not being able to via a timeout, then the boot continues.  I am able to reproduce this on vista x64 with quad core boxes... replace with a ps2 keyboard and voila problem disappears.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 1:36 PM
  • In your original post you said that you were able to get windows to boot by turning off the usb external drive.  then later you said that by using a ps2 keyboard the error went away. I found that regardless of what kind of mouse or keyboard I have plugged in I get the lag with the usb drive plugged in and turned on. 

The way I found around this issue was to go into bios and go to the hard drives section and locate the usb drive in the list and set it to disabled instead of letting it detect.  That way I can leave the usb drive on while booting windows and it doesnt lag because windows doesnt look on the usb drive for a version of windows to try to boot from. 
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 2:42 AM
  •  VT-Vincent wrote:
    I would like to know about this as well... I have a nearly identical situation. If my USB HDD is connected, it takes Vista an additional 3 minutes to boot. This pause occours right after the boot loader and before the booting Windows progress bar. After researching this, I found this issue could be rectified by disabling "USB Legacy Support" in the BIOS. Doing this removes that three minute hang, but there has to be a better solution... since I have a USB keyboard, this also prevents me from using my keyboard for the boot loader, and pretty much anything else pre-Windows boot.

For anyone who might be curious, here are my specs:

Core 2 Duo E6300
    Intel DG965WH Motherboard
    4GB DDR2-5300 (Crucial, 1GB x4)
    Internal 320GB Western Digital SATA HDD (OS is installed on it)
    Plextor PX-740A IDE DVD Burner
    Built-in Intel 10/100/1000 Ethernet
    Gigabyte GeForce 7900GS PCI-E 16x
    Windows Vista Ultimate x64
    Western Digital My Book Premium 500GB External HDD (Connected by USB 2.0, used as storage only)

Any help would be greatly appriciated!

I have been searching for a solution for 3 months now for a problem very similar to yours. I have Vista Home Premium x32 and  I suffer exactly the same problem. If I disconnect the Weston Digital External Drive, it's a very fast booting. Otherwise, it takes 3-5 mins extra time to boot(just a dark screen after the initial vista display screen).  The black screen shows up for 20 Seconds even if I don't have the HDD attached. Before I bought this HP Pavilion dv9700t, I used the same HDD on XP on a Sony Vaio and the booting took less then a minute. So, I don't really agree that it's a problem with the HDD. It's a Vista fault. And I really hope that microsoft will be able to fix this problem soon. I consider myself to be very knowledgeable about the computers(both hardware and software) and It's making me frustrated that there is actually no solution available for this problem at the moment.

Saturday, July 05, 2008 11:58 PM
  • It is a Vista64 problem.  I have encountered this with two different machines and several different USB drives, including the dock drive on this machine.  The only way I have been able to boot into Vista64 is to power off the USB drive until after selecting the 64 bit option (I have a 32/64 bit dual boot setup).  Attempting to boot Vista64 with the USB drive powered on results in a "missing or corrupt msload.exe" error.  Vista32 works fine.  My BIOS does not support disabling USB booting.

Microsoft apparently does not care about Vista64 enough to even acknowledge the problem.
    Sunday, July 06, 2008 9:30 PM
  • When I upgraded from a Pentium XP home machine to a Vista Home Premium x64 quad core I encountered the same problem.  With two very large external usb drives attached to the XP machine boot-up was normal.  With the same drives attached to the Vista machine boot-up took forever.  When I booted the Vista machine without the external drives attached, bootup was fast.

After doing quite a bit searching and talking with tech support, no one seems to know why this happens on the Vista machine except to say it is a Vista problem.  I purchased a Belkin Network USB Hub and put my external USB drives on my local network.  Now the Vista machine boots normally and I have access to the drives.

Shouldn't have to do this, but just another indication of the shortcomings of Vista.  Come on Microsoft, don't your customers deserve better?
    Wednesday, November 05, 2008 2:38 PM
  • I know htis is almost a year later, but guess what, issue still exists with Window 7 64BIT os.  Has anyone found a solution.

I turned of BOOTABLE USB in my BIOS, so that's not the answer.

Will just have to wait and see.
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 7:24 PM
  • After chasing this issue for many weeks, here is what worked on my W7/64 box.

The problem is that the shadow service is storing data on your external drive.  For reasons I don't understand, the kernel gets slammed on boot up scanning the shadow copies.  I don't think anyone is looking at this issue because most folks are tossing out BS answers like drivers, anti-virus etc.  For those of you pulling your hair out try this:

1) Get to a command prompt with Admin Privledges

2) vssadmin List ShadowStorage - Verify external drive has VSS enabled

3) vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=K: /On=K: /MaxSize=100MB {where K: is your external drive}

4) Restart

My external drive is a Drobo on iSCSI I can't prove this but the issue seems to happen on drives connected via eSATA or iSCSI more often than on USB drives.

My boot time went from 20 minutes to 30 seconds

Hope this helps some folks out there.

D

Saturday, March 13, 2010 6:15 PM
  • In my case VSS was disabled.
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 4:03 PM