none
Is it possible to disable the Action Pane in the MMC permanently?

Question

• I find the Action Pane completely useless and taking up screen space. I can disable it by going to View --> Customize --> uncheck Action Pane each time. Is there is way to permanently disable it from ever showing up again via GPO, registry or something?
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 5:06 PM

Answers

• Add a registry named SuppressActionsPane to the snap in path while x64 is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\MMC\SnapIns\FX:{GUID} and x86 is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MMC\SnapIns\FX:{GUID}
    Monday, March 29, 2010 5:13 AM
  • Excellent!  Thanks for this.

PowerShell script to do every Snap-In:

$snapins = Get-ChildItem HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MMC\SnapIns

foreach ($snap in $snapins) {

$snapname=($snap.name.split("\"))[($snap.name.split("\").count-1)]

New-ItemProperty HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MMC\SnapIns\$snapname SuppressActionsPane -value 1 -propertyType dword

}

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 6:24 PM
  • Hi Zuffy, I always found the admin msc's a bit painful by default. I do not know of a setting to do this, but what I do is run MMC and open the msc directly (you should make a copy first). For example, I like to setup services.msc the way I like it:

1. MMC, File - Open -> c:\windows\system32\services.msc
    2. View, customise, untick "Action Pane" and "Taskpad navigation tabs"
    3. Set all column widths to what I want and maximise console
    4. Save

Next time I run services, it comes up just how I like it :-)
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 7:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Zuffy, I always found the admin msc's a bit painful by default. I do not know of a setting to do this, but what I do is run MMC and open the msc directly (you should make a copy first). For example, I like to setup services.msc the way I like it:

1. MMC, File - Open -> c:\windows\system32\services.msc
    2. View, customise, untick "Action Pane" and "Taskpad navigation tabs"
    3. Set all column widths to what I want and maximise console
    4. Save

Next time I run services, it comes up just how I like it :-)
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 7:01 PM
  • I tried to overwrite the original compmgmt.msc but it wouldn't let me. Get an error "MMC cannot save the console". I changed the console mode to full access and unchecked Do not save changes to this console and that didn't work either nor did changing to Author Mode. As a workaround, I just make the changes and save it as compmgmt2.msc. That will work for now.
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 9:06 PM
  • Sorry, you probably need to run with admin privs to over-write. I usually run a command prompt as my admin account and just run things directly from there, so I would be able to change them ok.
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 9:44 PM
  • Hi Rob,
         Your answer is good enough if you are using one or two MMC's but I use between 10-15 MMC's over the course of a month. Most are the built-in MMC's however I do have several custom authored MMC's. As trivial as it might sound I am with Zuffy with respect to his comment on screen space.  It would be different if they served a unique function but you can perform these actions using the alternate context menu.  Zuffy's original post asked about a reg key. I found two likely places for a key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\MMC\Settings and HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Management Console\Settings. Does anyone know where I could find the key and DWord value (I assume it is a dword value) to disable the action panes for all MMC's? Thanks.....James

JAMES EPPOLITO
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 6:57 PM
  • Great idea, Rob, but dated.

The compmgmt.msc file is owned by TrustedInstaller.  Administrators only have read and execute privileges in Windows 7.

One will have to take ownership of the file and assign Full control permissions to it before resaving it.

Even with all that once I save the file (in my case compmgmt.msc) back to c:\windows\system32 it's still showing the old way when I right-click My Computer and choose Manage.  The system may have a copy cached somewhere.

Edit:  I found the REAL compmgmt.msc file under C:\Windows\System32\en-US.

Microsoft has gone a long way to make these files inaccessible to us.  This implies they probably want to maintain complete control over them, update them (Microsoft Update) when they want, and most certainly not have us change them.

Sigh.  Gone are the days when we could, as administrators, just jump right in and make the system more useful.

-Noel
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 4:26 AM
  • Add a registry named SuppressActionsPane to the snap in path while x64 is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\MMC\SnapIns\FX:{GUID} and x86 is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MMC\SnapIns\FX:{GUID}
    Monday, March 29, 2010 5:13 AM
  • Thank you Thank you Thank you. How did you find this?
    Thursday, December 09, 2010 6:14 PM
  • Excellent!  Thanks for this.

PowerShell script to do every Snap-In:

$snapins = Get-ChildItem HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MMC\SnapIns

foreach ($snap in $snapins) {

$snapname=($snap.name.split("\"))[($snap.name.split("\").count-1)]

New-ItemProperty HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MMC\SnapIns\$snapname SuppressActionsPane -value 1 -propertyType dword

}

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 6:24 PM
  • Thanks for the info - I'm glad I found this post, it was really helpful.
    Friday, June 07, 2013 9:03 AM
  • thank you! damn i hate that actions  pane
    Saturday, November 09, 2013 3:10 AM
  • Brill! Even better. Thanks OttScott - absolute genius. I have been cursing that damn Action Pane for years...

For the benefit of the less experienced:-

1. Start - All programs - Accessories - WIndows PowerShell - Right-click PowerShell ISE & "Run As Administrator"

2. Copy the script from $snapins... to the line after closing }

3. Make sure the script pane is open in PowerShell (View - Show Script Pane) and paste into this window

4. F5 to run. You should see a whole lot of BLACK responses to the script commands (if it's RED that's an error!)

Bingo. No more freakin' wasted screen space.

Now can someone tell us how to make those consoles stay the size & position we set them instead of having to move & resize them every time? I wonder what the developer was thinking when he made those parameters "read only", Windows has been allowing applications to save their size & position since the earth's crust hardened, but not these, oh no...

• Edited by ChrisBedford Thursday, April 03, 2014 7:22 PM (added more information)
    Thursday, April 03, 2014 7:16 PM