none
Media Center doesn't recognize my IR and won't let me complete TV Set up

Question

• I'm using Windows 7 and have a Diamond TV tuner installed (internally) in my computer. My IR and remote are Total Media (brand). I am unable to complete Media Center set-up because it keeps saying it doesn't detect an IR. The IR works fine with the Total Media software, so why doesn't Media Center detect it?
    Sunday, July 24, 2011 7:44 PM

Answers

All replies

• first, are you certain that the Total Media Remote is compatible with Media
    Center? Do you have a link to the product page? what model tuner do you have?
    the list of compatible tuners is at

both the tuner and the remote/IR have to be compatible with Media Center. Please
    provide some model numbers and links to websites if possible.

On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 19:44:19 +0000, roma1625 wrote:

>I'm using Windows 7 and have a Diamond TV tuner installed (internally) in my computer. My IR and remote are Total Media (brand). I am unable to complete Media Center set-up because it keeps saying it doesn't detect an IR. The IR works fine with the Total Media software, so why doesn't Media Center detect it?

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Monday, July 25, 2011 10:38 AM
  • The tuner is Diamond All-in-Wonder Radeon HD 5570 1024MB GDDR3 PCIe 2.1 x16 Video Card and TV Wonder 750 PCIe x1 HDTV Tuner Card Bundle.  Total Media 3.5 was already installed on the computer when I bought it, and the Total Media IR and remote control were also included with the computer. I can't find model numbers on the IR or the remote. The remote says Total Media in Hand, but that's it. I assume the IR and remote were a package deal with the TV tuner / video card.

I have another computer with a TV tuner and it works great with Media Center. I suppose that I could use the Total Media software, but Media Center is far superior. That's why I'm trying to use it.

Thanks

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 7:11 PM
  • Assuming that your TV Tuner is compatible, it is likely that the IR remote and
    receiver are not designed for Media Center. You can check with Arcsoft support
    on the Total Media products.

You can purchase a compatible USB receiver and remote and try that.

don't be put off by the brand names on these.

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 19:11:38 +0000, roma1625 wrote:

>
    >
    >The tuner is Diamond All-in-Wonder Radeon HD 5570 1024MB GDDR3 PCIe 2.1 x16 Video Card and TV Wonder 750 PCIe x1 HDTV Tuner Card Bundle.  Total Media 3.5 was already installed on the computer when I bought it, and the Total Media IR and remote control were also included with the computer. I can't find model numbers on the IR or the remote. The remote says Total Media in Hand, but that's it. I assume the IR and remote were a package deal with the TV tuner / video card.
    >
    >
    >I have another computer with a TV tuner and it works great with Media Center. I suppose that I could use the Total Media software, but Media Center is far superior. That's why I'm trying to use it.
    >
    >Thanks

Barb Bowman

Thursday, July 28, 2011 9:52 AM
  • Barb,

Thanks for your help. What I'm trying to understand is why Media Center requires an IR in the first place. I'm just wondering why I need to go out and spend $25 or $30 for something I don't really need  just to make Media Center work. All I really want to use it for is to schedule recordings of TV programs. I don't need an IR and remote to do that. I could just use my mouse. Isn't there a way to bypass that requirement?

Friday, July 29, 2011 12:23 PM
  • some unsupported alternatives such as

might work for you.

but Media Center was designed to be a ten foot experience using remotes, with
    the two foot experience secondary to that. which I guess is why they hard coded
    the IR requirement.

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 12:23:31 +0000, roma1625 wrote:

>
    >
    >Barb,
    >
    >Thanks for your help. What I'm trying to understand is why Media Center requires an IR in the first place. I'm just wondering why I need to go out and spend $25 or $30 for something I don't really need  just to make Media Center work. All I really want to use it for is to schedule recordings of TV programs. I don't need an IR and remote to do that. I could just use my mouse. Isn't there a way to bypass that requirement?

Barb Bowman

Friday, July 29, 2011 2:06 PM
  • Barb,

I really tried and tried to make those alternatives to work, but I've given up. The first one was originally devised for Viata and just doesn't seem to work with 7. The second one requires an IR transmitter with outputs, which I don't have (I have an XP one, but doesn't work on 7)

I've been dong some online research and I think it may work if I just had an IR blaster (the part that sends the signal to the set top box) as that's what I'm really missing, not the IR receiver. Do you have any advice on where to buy just the blaster? Still trying to save on the $30 for something I don't need.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 8:29 PM
  • I am not clear what you mean by having an XP one that does not work on 7. the
    external IR devices for Media Center attach via USB to the computer. a cable
    runs from that to a set top box where the LED portion of the cable is attached
    over the "eye" of the set top box receiver.

and, do you mean you need something like

this "looks like" it should work:

Some of these may work and some may not.

the eHome USB IR hardware from the XP days should work on W7.

On Wed, 3 Aug 2011 20:29:01 +0000, roma1625 wrote:

>
    >
    >Barb,
    >
    >I really tried and tried to make those alternatives to work, but I've given up. The first one was originally devised for Viata and just doesn't seem to work with 7. The second one requires an IR transmitter with outputs, which I don't have (I have an XP one, but doesn't work on 7)
    >
    >I've been dong some online research and I think it may work if I just had an IR blaster (the part that sends the signal to the set top box) as that's what I'm really missing, not the IR receiver. Do you have any advice on where to buy just the blaster? Still trying to save on the $30 for something I don't need.
    >
    >Your help is greatly appreciated.

Barb Bowman

Thursday, August 04, 2011 11:05 AM