none
Windows 8 and Raid 1

Question

• Hi,

I am trying for Windows 8 to recognize my RAID 1 setup controlled by the motherboard's RAID controller.

I am using a ASUS Rampage IV Extreme and setup two RAID 1 Arrays containing each two 4TB hard drives. (16TB total). In BIOS I set the SATA Mode to "Raid Mode" and used the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Option (accessed during booting with CTLR + I) to set up the two RAID Volumes. I have a fifth SSD hard drive where I'm planning to instal Windows 8. So far so good.

During the install process Windows does not recognize both RAID 1 arrays (It does recognize all 5 drives but not the 2 predefined arrays). At this point I am loading the drivers found on the motherboard DVD. Intel(R) C600 Series Chipset SATA RAID Controller. (iaStorA.inf)

This helps Windows recognize both RAID 1 arrays (at the proper size) but once clicking the "next" button it hangs. It usually only takes a couple seconds to move to the next screen of the actual install, but with the new driver it hangs. I've let it run overnight and it won't continue.

I'm guessing Intel's SATA RAID Chipset drivers are just not ready for Windows 8.

I've tried both, the driver found on the DVD that came with the board and the one on Intel's website.

I've also tried to download the latest driver from ASUS. However, this driver is not included in the ASUS Chipset drivers on ASUS's page here:
    http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Rampage%20IV%20Extreme&p=1&s=42&os=36&hashedid=r7FZemJak3vMbWHg

If I proceed with the install without loading the drivers, the install finishes successfully. It even lists the 4 drives in Disk Management, however the total size is wrong. It doesn't recognize them at 4TB but at 1677.9 GB ?

How can I get Windows 8 to recognize the Raid 1 Arrays AND finish the install successfully? Am I not thinking of something here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Friday, September 07, 2012 4:35 PM

Answers

• Thanks again for the reply.

I've figured it out. All I needed was the right drivers and I finally found them here: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=21754

Thanks again for your help.

Simon

• Proposed as answer by AnthonyDa Sunday, September 09, 2012 10:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Niki HanModerator Tuesday, September 11, 2012 3:40 AM
    Saturday, September 08, 2012 6:16 AM

All replies

• Did you tried updating your Windows 8? before or after loading the drivers.

Regards,
    prathaprabhu

Friday, September 07, 2012 6:29 PM
  • Hi Prathaprabhu,

thanks for your reply.

I'm loading the drivers while being in the process of installing Windows 8 Preview. I'm not sure what you mean with updating Windows 8 before or after loading the drivers. Could you clarify, please?

The problem is happening during a brand new install of Windows 8 Preview.

Thanks again.

Simon
    Friday, September 07, 2012 6:37 PM
  • Windows 8 Preview? why you are trying to install Windows 8 Preview when RTM is out and available already. Obviously Windows 8 RP doesn't have all drivers included. Secondly i was referring the recent updates from Microsoft, since you said that "Intel's SATA RAID Chipset drivers are just not ready for Windows 8" it could be with the recent update from Microsoft (if available).

Regards,
    prathaprabhu

Saturday, September 08, 2012 1:57 AM
  • Thanks again for the reply.

I've figured it out. All I needed was the right drivers and I finally found them here: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=21754

Thanks again for your help.

Simon

• Proposed as answer by AnthonyDa Sunday, September 09, 2012 10:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Niki HanModerator Tuesday, September 11, 2012 3:40 AM
    Saturday, September 08, 2012 6:16 AM
  • Dear Simon,

Thanks for letting us know.

Regards,
    prathaprabhu

Saturday, September 08, 2012 8:59 AM
  • I had exactly the same problem using exactly the same motherboard. I'm using an intel 520 series SSD for my main drive and 2 500gb WD Caviar Blacks in RAID 1 for a storage drive. I used the BIOS to create the RAID volume (as a side note on the Asus Rampage IV formula motherboard if you are going to use raid or want plug and play then don't plug any sata devices into the lower two red SATA ports; While they may be 6GB/S, they are connected to an AS Media controller and are thus seperate from the intel chipset, they don't show up in the BIOS or in the intel rapid storage technology program) 

Anyway I could RAID the 2 drives with no problem but I couldn't access them through Windows 8 (64 bit). It turns out windows was not even initializing the disks, let alone assigning them a drive letter. So the way I fixed that was by doing these steps:

1. Open control panel (I'm still learning windows 8 so I do it through a shortcut I put on the start screen)
    2. If you have category view turned on (its default that way) then scroll down and click Administrative Tools
    3. A new window will open. Double click Computer Management (its 2nd from the top)
    4. Under the storage category on the left click disk management
    5. A screen will fill the right side of the window that contains all of the devices connected via SATA
    6. Find your volume (It should say Intel followed by the name you assigned the RAID volume)
    7. Right click and select Initialize
    8. Follow the steps of the wizard, it should ask you which letter you want to assign it, what format, what name, ect

When the wizard finishes you should be able to use your new RAID volume! Please let me know if this helped anyone. I didn't have to download any new drivers, but I did check using device manager if the current ones were up to date.

• Proposed as answer by Nickc123 Wednesday, December 05, 2012 12:20 PM
    Wednesday, December 05, 2012 12:18 PM