none
Reinstall Windows 7 Home Premium from Disc?

Question

• I installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit - over Vista 64 bit - via the MS Store. Having some glitches with the program - computer freezes and needs to be rebooted. Wanted to try reinstalling with the 64 bit BU disc that came yesterday. Are there any know issues with trying to do essentially a "Detect and Repair" doing this? Is there a better way? All drives have been updated prior to the download upgrade - so nnt sure why the computer is hanging.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 12:36 PM

Answers

• I installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit - over Vista 64 bit - via the MS Store. Having some glitches with the program - computer freezes and needs to be rebooted. Wanted to try reinstalling with the 64 bit BU disc that came yesterday. Are there any know issues with trying to do essentially a "Detect and Repair" doing this? Is there a better way? All drives have been updated prior to the download upgrade - so nnt sure why the computer is hanging.
    Hi

Windows 7 Home Premium does support the RIU (Repair In-place Upgrade) procedure.

Place the installation disk in the drive and select Install. When you get to the screen where you select the type of install, select the Upgrade option.

Before you perform the RIU, I would recommend downloading and running the Windows 7  Windows Upgrade Advisor  this will report any known incompatibilities on the system. You can also check with the new  Windows 7 Compatibility Center  website for any known issues with particular hardware/software you may have on the system. Compatibility FAQ

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 2:52 PM

All replies

Hi

Windows 7 Home Premium does support the RIU (Repair In-place Upgrade) procedure.

Place the installation disk in the drive and select Install. When you get to the screen where you select the type of install, select the Upgrade option.

Before you perform the RIU, I would recommend downloading and running the Windows 7  Windows Upgrade Advisor  this will report any known incompatibilities on the system. You can also check with the new  Windows 7 Compatibility Center  website for any known issues with particular hardware/software you may have on the system. Compatibility FAQ

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 2:52 PM
  • Thank you - I'll advise if I have any problems.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 3:38 PM
  • It's a relief to hear from you it is possible to reinstall from OEM in case of problems!

Tanks a lot!

Kind regards,

Lode (Flanders (a.k.a. Belgium)

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:51 PM