none
How do i get my sound on windows 7 back

Question

• I installed windows 7 ultimate on my computer and now my sound dosent work

My computer was windows XP
    this is what it says when i try to play a song in windows media played

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly."

some one help me
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 9:35 AM

Answers

• Could you verify under device manager>sound video and game controller>audio is working fine and without any exclamation or whatever
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, February 19, 2010 1:59 AM
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 11:06 AM
  • Hi daveleary1237,

Have you installed the latest sound card driver for Windows 7 after upgrading from Windows XP? If not, please go to the manufacturer's website and find the compatible sound card driver first. Also, you can run Windows Update directly and see if the driver can be downloaded and installed.

If the issue persists, as Daniel mentioned, please go to the Device Manager to check the sound card status:

1. Click "Start", input "Device Manager" (without quotation marks) in the Search box, and then press "Enter".

2. Double-click "Sound, video and game controllers" to expand it.

3. Double-click the installed Sound Card to open its Properties.

4. On the General tab, please check the message in the Device Status section.

Also, please provide the following information for us:

·          What is the brand and model of the sound card? If the computer is an OEM (original equipment manufacturer) one, please provide its brand and model as well.

·          Is the Windows 7 installed x32 bit version or x64 bit version?

Regards,

Linda

Friday, February 12, 2010 7:40 AM

All replies

• Could you verify under device manager>sound video and game controller>audio is working fine and without any exclamation or whatever
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 11:06 AM
  • Hi daveleary1237,

Have you installed the latest sound card driver for Windows 7 after upgrading from Windows XP? If not, please go to the manufacturer's website and find the compatible sound card driver first. Also, you can run Windows Update directly and see if the driver can be downloaded and installed.

If the issue persists, as Daniel mentioned, please go to the Device Manager to check the sound card status:

1. Click "Start", input "Device Manager" (without quotation marks) in the Search box, and then press "Enter".

2. Double-click "Sound, video and game controllers" to expand it.

3. Double-click the installed Sound Card to open its Properties.

4. On the General tab, please check the message in the Device Status section.

Also, please provide the following information for us:

·          What is the brand and model of the sound card? If the computer is an OEM (original equipment manufacturer) one, please provide its brand and model as well.

·          Is the Windows 7 installed x32 bit version or x64 bit version?

Regards,

Linda

Friday, February 12, 2010 7:40 AM
  • What model HP do you have? Can you post the hardware ID for the Multimedia Audio Controller?

Thanks,
    Chris [MSFT]
    Friday, February 12, 2010 4:47 PM