none
Can I roll back from Windows 8.1 to Windows 8?

Question

• I have a surface Pro that I use for testing. I installed the 8.1 update. Unfortunately I wasn't paying full attention when it came to the point of asking if I wanted to save my personal files or nothing. I didn't notice that there wasn't a choice to save"everything (programs)."

There's still the folder Windows.old on the C: drive and I can see all of my Program files there. My original docs are fine. I can't seem to figure out how to roll back to the original Windows 8. I tried running the 8.1 installer and system restore but no joy.

Any suggestions on how to get back to Windows 8 or to bring my programs back? It's not the end of the world but just a PIA to have to reinstall all of my apps on the Surface. Thanks.

Friday, September 13, 2013 11:56 AM

Answers

• I think that uninstallation is not supported.

You can use Refresh your PC without affecting your files or Remove evertyhing and reinstall Windows features (Windows 8.1).

Friday, September 13, 2013 12:24 PM
  • Hi,

Please be aware that programs should be reinstalled from their installers. It will install the necessary runtime files to run properly on your operating system.

We can retrieve files from Windows.old folder:

How to retrieve files from the Windows.old folder

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/restore-files-upgrade-windows-old

If you would like to get back to Windows 8, we cannot uninstall or restore directly.

For preinstalled Windows 8, you can try to restore factory settings to get it back.

Hope these could be helpful. 

Kate Li

TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 16, 2013 1:10 PM

All replies

• I think that uninstallation is not supported.

You can use Refresh your PC without affecting your files or Remove evertyhing and reinstall Windows features (Windows 8.1).

Friday, September 13, 2013 12:24 PM
  • Hi,

Please be aware that programs should be reinstalled from their installers. It will install the necessary runtime files to run properly on your operating system.

We can retrieve files from Windows.old folder:

How to retrieve files from the Windows.old folder

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/restore-files-upgrade-windows-old

If you would like to get back to Windows 8, we cannot uninstall or restore directly.

For preinstalled Windows 8, you can try to restore factory settings to get it back.

Hope these could be helpful. 

Kate Li

TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 16, 2013 1:10 PM
  • Kate,

You clearly don't have experience of doing this. There is no visible content in the windows-old directory, nothing to restore in any shape or form. Your little restore tool doesn't work, but there are 11GB of hidden files in this directory, your tool says it has recovered them but it hasn't. 

As it was a 3.6gb update, I started it going and only returned to it when it was re-booting, there was no point at which I was clearly asked to keep existing data/user profiles etc. so the drive was wiped and all data lost. It is particularly galling that all my costly software is now in Trial mode and the licences are all now in the 'empty' windows.old folder

I am fortunate that I have a back-up but suspect that as now the profile on this machine is different, it may not restore correctly, never mind that the OS is different and probably will fall over if I do a restore from back-up.

This install has a similarity with a back up - its just the first two letters that are different.

• Edited by Andy_Tymeiz Friday, October 18, 2013 4:21 PM
    Friday, October 18, 2013 9:42 AM