none
I want my "Quick Launch" toolbar

General discussion

• Remember the quick launch bar in Windows Vista? The one with the Flip-3D, Show desktop, and IE shortcut? You can have it in Windows 7 too! This is how to restore this toolbar.
    1. Right click the Taskbar and select Toolbars > New Toolbar…
    2. Paste the following into the folder field and click Select Folder:

%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch 

3. Right click the Taskbar and uncheck Lock the taskbar
    4. Now adjust the Quick Launch toolbar to your tastes.
      TIP: To remove the text, right click the toolbar and uncheck Show Text and Show Title
    5. To enable large icons, right click the toolbar and select View > Large Icons
    You now have your beloved quick launch toolbar back!

SCREENSHOT
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 10:13 AM

All replies

• But what's the point?  What's the difference between that, and just pinning the icons you want to the new taskbar?

Or have I misunderstood?

Sunday, January 25, 2009 11:06 AM
  • You don't get the "Show Desktop" icon any other way. I don't like going all the way to the bottom right for that teeny button.
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 11:07 AM
  • Thack said:

But what's the point?  What's the difference between that, and just pinning the icons you want to the new taskbar?

Or have I misunderstood?

The issue with the pinning on the new task bar is that some shortcuts don't work properly e.g. I cannot seem to pin a shortcut to a folder in the file system e.g. C:\Windows\System32
    Monday, January 26, 2009 9:28 PM
  • Also, many applications install an icon there.
    Monday, January 26, 2009 10:30 PM
  • I thought I would miss the quick launch area, yet I don;t.  In fact, I prefer the new bar to launch and monitor open files and to launch applications.  While some installers add an icon in the QL area, all I have seen have it optional for the desktop and the QL area.

Monday, January 26, 2009 11:20 PM
  • When a shortcut to a folder is pinned, it is pinned under Windows Explorer.  If you have Windows Explorer pinned to the taskbar, then right click and you will see any pinned folders appear at the top of the list.  When I first pinned a folder to the task bar, I wondered what happened to it.  While this does seem to entail more clicks, it is very helpful when you have multiple near line storage devices you want to be able to get to quickly. :(

There is a slight problem with this though - only one pinned folder/drive at a time can be added.  This does limit the use of pinning a folder/drive to the tasks bar.

One other thing to keep in mind: when pinning an application be sure to pin the application and not a shortcut.  Why?  If a shortcut is pinned, when you select it to run, the shortcut icon on the task bar does not represent the open application/document.  If the pinned application is a shortcut, it will open another task bar icon to represent any open documents.

So be sure to pin the acutal application to gain full benefit of the task bar.

Monday, January 26, 2009 11:31 PM
  • FYI, The location of Quick Launch is:
    C:\Users\(profile)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

Also the location of SendTo is:
    C:\Users\(profile)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

If you were to right-click on the Quick Launch folder, create a shortcut, rename it (kill the word shortcut), drag that shortcut to the SendTo folder...WaaLaa!  Now, whenever you right click on a program you can easily add it to the Quick Launch toolbar by using SendTo.

T.R.

Friday, April 03, 2009 12:27 PM
  • Like the "send to" context menu option. Very useful if exploited.
    Norton AntiVirus 2009
    Saturday, April 04, 2009 3:27 PM
  • Thanks a lot, very helpful and searched for a long time.
    cheers
    gutter
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 8:53 AM