none
Unable to start Windows 7 audiosrv

Question

• I have done a fresh install of Windows 7 RTM and performed all updates. My motherboard is an Intel DG35EC with a Realtek Audio chipset. I downloaded the latest drivers from Intel (Win7 version). Windows 7 reports the Audio Serviceis not running and I cannot get the service to start. I get an Error 1068: the dependancy service or group Failed to start.

SysAdmin
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 5:44 PM

Answers

• Hi William,

Did you try checking the registry key value as previously mentioned?

If the issue persists, try going into regedit, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/Audiosrv and in the DependOnService remove all entries except RpcSs and then restart your computer.

What is the result? If the issue still exists, let's run Troubleshooter in Windows 7 by going to Start -> Control Panel -> Troubleshooting -> Troubleshoot audio playback.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, October 02, 2009 2:08 AM
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 2:51 AM
  • Bill,
    Did you reboot immediately after deleting the registry changes (all but RpcSs) to the dependency services?

I see they have version 5939 audio posted 9/28/2009. Is that what you are using?

The BIOS is 0117 for Vista, no Win 7 listed. Not sure if that means it's compatible or they haven't released a Win 7 version yet.

Report back if you can. Enjoy the vacation.
    ASUS P4PE-P4 Extreme 3.4gHz-2gb G.Skill PC3200-XPSP3:55gb-Win7RC:17gb-DATA:500gb-ASUS N6800GT
    • Edited by Nano Warp Thursday, October 01, 2009 12:35 PM added information
    Thursday, October 01, 2009 12:09 PM

All replies

• Hi William,

Please also check if the following services are started:

Plug and Play

Windows Audio Endpoint Builder

RPC Endpoint Mapper

DCOM Server Process Launcher

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Multimedia Class Scheduler

If the issue persists, please check if there is any Creative/Soundblaster audio software installed. If so, please remove it to check the result.

In addition, please also check the following registry key value:

1. Click Start, type REGEDIT in the Start Search bar, right click regedit.exe and then click "Run as administrator".

2. After we open the registry editor, locate this branch using the (+) icon in the left pane:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Audiosrv

3. Highlight the Audiosrv folder on the left pane, please click Registry in menu bar -> Export Registry File ->save as a Audiosrv.reg file on the Desktop.

4. Double click DependOnService on the right pane.

5. Change the value of the key to the following:

AudioEndpointBuilder

RpcSs

MMCSS

6. Exit Registry Editor and see if the Windows Audio service can be started.

Regards,

Linda

Monday, September 28, 2009 7:11 AM
  • Hi William,

Please also check if the following services are started:

Plug and Play

Windows Audio Endpoint Builder

RPC Endpoint Mapper

DCOM Server Process Launcher

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Multimedia Class Scheduler

If the issue persists, please check if there is any Creative/Soundblaster audio software installed. If so, please remove it to check the result.

In addition, please also check the following registry key value:

1. Click Start, type REGEDIT in the Start Search bar, right click regedit.exe and then click "Run as administrator".

2. After we open the registry editor, locate this branch using the (+) icon in the left pane:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Audiosrv

3. Highlight the Audiosrv folder on the left pane, please click Registry in menu bar -> Export Registry File ->save as a Audiosrv.reg file on the Desktop.

4. Double click DependOnService on the right pane.

5. Change the value of the key to the following:

AudioEndpointBuilder

RpcSs

MMCSS

6. Exit Registry Editor and see if the Windows Audio service can be started.

Regards,

Linda

I verified the settings as you suggested. This is where I stand.

When started Audiosrv still gives a error 1068: the dependancy service or group Failed to start.
    When Trying to start Audioendpointbuilder I get an Error 193: 0xc1
    ALG service failes to start and gives an Error 5: Access denied

Still no joy for starting autoisrv

HELP!!

SysAdmin
    Monday, September 28, 2009 11:32 PM
  • Hi William,

If the issue persists, try going into regedit, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/Audiosrv and in the DependOnService remove all entries except RpcSs and then restart your computer.

What is the result? If the issue still exists, let's run Troubleshooter in Windows 7 by going to Start -> Control Panel -> Troubleshooting -> Troubleshoot audio playback.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 2:51 AM
  • Hi William,

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

Still have the same problem. Ran the Troubleshooter and it didn't fix the problem. The ALG, AudioEndpointBuilder and the Audiosrv are still failed.
    The Windows 7 drivers for the Realtek are loaded and Realtek is showing as good in Device Manager.

:-(
    SysAdmin
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 10:35 PM
  • I am sorry to hear the issue persists.

Before going further, I would like to confirm if the issue occurred after a fresh installation of Windows 7. If so, it is possible the system component is corrupted. You can try System File Checker tool to scan the system files. If the issue persists, please perform In-Place Upgrade to repair the system.

However, if the issue occurred after installing the sound card driver, let's try the suggestions below to see if it can be resolved.

Roll back the display card driver

=============

1. Click the Start Button, type Device Manager in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.

2. Double click to expand the "Display adapters".

3. Right click the display card and click "Properties".

4. Click the "Driver" tab and click "Roll Back Driver".

What is the result? If the issue persists, please right click the display card in Device Manager and then click Uninstall. After restarting the computer, please go to Start, type Windows Update in the Search box, click Check for updates on the left pane to scan and download the update to install the display card driver from Windows Update.

In addition, if the issue did not occur before, you can try System Restore by going to Start, type System Restore in the search box, choose System Restore, click Next, choose the date you would like to restore to (which shall be the date before the issue occurred) and then complete the wizard.

Good luck.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 6:58 AM
  • I am sorry to hear the issue persists.

Before going further, I would like to confirm if the issue occurred after a fresh installation of Windows 7. If so, it is possible the system component is corrupted. You can try System File Checker tool to scan the system files. If the issue persists, please perform In-Place Upgrade to repair the system.

However, if the issue occurred after installing the sound card driver, let's try the suggestions below to see if it can be resolved.

Roll back the display card driver

=============

1. Click the Start Button, type Device Manager in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.

2. Double click to expand the "Display adapters".

3. Right click the display card and click "Properties".

4. Click the "Driver" tab and click "Roll Back Driver".

What is the result? If the issue persists, please right click the display card in Device Manager and then click Uninstall. After restarting the computer, please go to Start, type Windows Update in the Search box, click Check for updates on the left pane to scan and download the update to install the display card driver from Windows Update.

In addition, if the issue did not occur before, you can try System Restore by going to Start, type System Restore in the search box, choose System Restore, click Next, choose the date you would like to restore to (which shall be the date before the issue occurred) and then complete the wizard.

Good luck.

This is a clean installation to a new hard drive.
    I can't find the System File Checker tool you mention and unfortunately I am due to leave on vacation tomorrow night.

Bill
    SysAdmin
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 11:47 PM
  • Bill,
    Did you reboot immediately after deleting the registry changes (all but RpcSs) to the dependency services?

I see they have version 5939 audio posted 9/28/2009. Is that what you are using?

The BIOS is 0117 for Vista, no Win 7 listed. Not sure if that means it's compatible or they haven't released a Win 7 version yet.

Report back if you can. Enjoy the vacation.
    ASUS P4PE-P4 Extreme 3.4gHz-2gb G.Skill PC3200-XPSP3:55gb-Win7RC:17gb-DATA:500gb-ASUS N6800GT
    • Edited by Nano Warp Thursday, October 01, 2009 12:35 PM added information
    Thursday, October 01, 2009 12:09 PM
  • Hi Linda,

I am IT at our small company, (by default, i just happened to know more from everyday MCSE certs) I have been ripping my hair out trying to figure out why the audio services suddenly stopped working on one of the workstations, and i could not get them to turn on.  Your solution worked perfectly.  I take my hat off to you, and bow.  Thank you very much.

Jim

Monday, July 26, 2010 3:03 PM