Computer does not have enough space for temp files?

Question

• [Vista Beta 2]

After clicking install on the dvd autorun, first thing that comes up is this:

----
    Your computer does not have enough space for tempoary files.

Windows installation needs at least 436 MB of free space on any partition for temporary files.  Free some space on any partition.

[Error: 0x80070103]
    ----

The thing is that the windows partition has ~25GB of free space, so this clearly is enough for the Vista install.  I'm defragging right now because that has helped me with some OS installs in the past, but other than that i'm not sure what to do about this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Friday, June 09, 2006 2:37 PM

Answers

• Turns out that all I need to do was go to disk management (right click my computer > manage > disk management), right clicked on the windows partition, and click "mark partition as active".

Then all was well.  Hopefully this might help someone else

Friday, June 09, 2006 7:07 PM

All replies

• Do you have multiple partititions, or a USB drive?

Setup miight be looking at that drive.

Just a guess.
    Friday, June 09, 2006 4:02 PM
  • I do have multiple partitions (windows + linux).  Is there a way to point the installer to the correct partition?

another possibility could be that this is a dell, and has a dell utility partition.  I think this might be set as the first partition, and of course has no free space.  If someone would know how to change this that might help.

Friday, June 09, 2006 4:16 PM
  • Turns out that all I need to do was go to disk management (right click my computer > manage > disk management), right clicked on the windows partition, and click "mark partition as active".

Then all was well.  Hopefully this might help someone else

Friday, June 09, 2006 7:07 PM
  • I have this problem right now and have the 47 mb dell partition and i guess gonna have to wipe the drive and install it from there
    Friday, June 09, 2006 9:58 PM