none
Dual Mon - ATI Radeon and NVIDIA GeForce

Question

• I've installed build 5472 of Vista and have found that the only way I can get my AGP ATI Radeon 9600 and my PCI Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 to work at the same time on three monitors is to force install WIndows XP drivers for both cards.

If I install the built-in Vista drivers or the latest beta Vista drivers from each card web site to get glass, only the ATI card works and the Nvidia card gets disabled saying it is incompatible.

Has anyone else seen this issue and is it a known issue? I haven't come across anyone even talking about something like this.

Thanks,
    Chris

Sunday, August 06, 2006 9:57 PM

Answers

• Dual monitors are best when you have the same video card with two outputs.

Andre Rivera

Saturday, September 16, 2006 12:23 AM

All replies

• Dual monitors are best when you have the same video card with two outputs.

Andre Rivera

Saturday, September 16, 2006 12:23 AM
  • When replying, I believe you should read the post first. The initial posting was for a setup running 3 monitors not 2. Unless you're running a high-end workstation card, you can't power 3 displays off a single card, no?

To answer the initial question, there still seems to be some issues with drivers when it comes to advanced setups. I am running an nVidia 7900GT XTREME which drove my two 21" LCD's perfectly under XP. With Vista build 5600, though, I get a sort of white noise effect on my primary monitor when I try to extend to the secondary monitor. The noise completely obscures the first panel, rendering the entire desktop useless.

The current build is a vast improvement over the earlier Betas, but it is not completely there. After hours of frustration, I just spent the $150 on a 7600GS card, hooked up a DVI-to-VGA adapter, and am running my monitors in analog. The same could work for you... retain the nVidia PCI card, grab a cheap dual-head nVidia card to temporarily replace the ATI card, and off you go with no driver conflicts. Historically ATI and nVidia drivers have not fully cooperated when running concurrently on a system, so this issue is most likely aggrivated by the incompleteness of Vista.

Sorry to ramble. Hope that helps a little.

Friday, September 22, 2006 4:56 PM
  • I have just installed Windows 7 and found that my Matrox Millennium G400 Duel Head, which was working under Windows XP and supporting two monitors is now only supporting one. Does anybody have any ideas besides upgrading the card how to fix this?
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 1:08 PM
  • ys u right  i m searching t many site also conbtact with nvidia corporation they clearly tel me nvidia is sepcialy desin to xp if u usuing vita or win7 etc ur graphic speed to low  and win7 has supppotre direct x 11 sme thing and 2011 upcoming cards no better way to use xp sp3 then u play all game easily
    Friday, February 04, 2011 6:00 PM