none
Error 0xc0000022

Question

• When students in my lab try to open Sony Vegas, some of them get the following:
    Vegas 6.0.exe - Application Error
    The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000022).  Click OK to terminatr the application.

Only a few machines are affected.

I know it is a permissions problem and I have read that it is an OS problem.  Any ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.
    bacc

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 4:13 PM

Answers

•  bacc wrote:
    The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000022).  Click OK to terminatr the application. Any ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

bacc,

Can you login to an account with Administrator rights to test the Sony Vegas software on the affected machines? If the software opens without any problem/error prompting you, it could be a permission problem. For further testing, can you try to reset the permissions on the system32 folder (C:\WINDOWS\systems32)? And test again using both administrator's and student's accounts.

1) Login to an account with Administrator rights,

2) Open Command Prompt by going to Start --> Run... --> Type "cmd" without quotes, and hit the Enter button,
    3) Inside command prompt windows, type the following command, and hit the Enter button,

CACLS %systemroot%\System32\*.dll /E /G BUILTIN\Users:R

4) Inside command prompt windows, type the following command, and hit the Enter button,

CACLS %systemroot%\System32\*.ocx /E /G BUILTIN\Users:R

5) Reboot the machine, and test again using both Administrator's and student's accounts.

Regards,

Thomas

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 4:52 PM

All replies

•  bacc wrote:
    The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000022).  Click OK to terminatr the application. Any ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

bacc,

Can you login to an account with Administrator rights to test the Sony Vegas software on the affected machines? If the software opens without any problem/error prompting you, it could be a permission problem. For further testing, can you try to reset the permissions on the system32 folder (C:\WINDOWS\systems32)? And test again using both administrator's and student's accounts.

1) Login to an account with Administrator rights,

2) Open Command Prompt by going to Start --> Run... --> Type "cmd" without quotes, and hit the Enter button,
    3) Inside command prompt windows, type the following command, and hit the Enter button,

CACLS %systemroot%\System32\*.dll /E /G BUILTIN\Users:R

4) Inside command prompt windows, type the following command, and hit the Enter button,

CACLS %systemroot%\System32\*.ocx /E /G BUILTIN\Users:R

5) Reboot the machine, and test again using both Administrator's and student's accounts.

Regards,

Thomas

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 4:52 PM
  • Please let us know the results of your investigation.

Thanks

Shashank

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 7:39 PM

• Thomas,

I get this same message while upgrading to Vista SP1 toward the end of the install.  I think I know what happened now after reading that it is a security issue.  After rebooting it asked me for a password for Administrator, and was doing something else and not paying attention, so I hit the esc key to keep installing.  Right now it won't boot into Windows and keeps getting to the same spot on "wextract.exe" in DOS screen and hanging there.  Is there any way to get past this?  Thank you.
    Saturday, March 22, 2008 4:08 PM
  •  

Hey Go

Have you attempted to boot into safe mode in Vista? Hope fully ou have the restore mode enabled for this to work.

You will have to start the computer up. After the first bios screen starts up start tapping the F8 key. Before the initial. splash screen from Vista starts up

It will give you many options to boot safe mode with networking, etc. You want safe mode

Once you get into safe mode you can restore to a previous configuration. Then you should boot normally.

Btw there is a Vista SP1 forum in technet. Its one link above XP on the initial page.

If you have any additional problems please post over there for assistance. There are more versed then I am about Vista. *I dont have it yet*

_______________________-

Not a Microsoft employee

Sunday, March 23, 2008 3:44 AM
  • Thanks 1stknight.  Actually, shortly after I posted my message I did just that, and I was able to get SP1 installed, but it didn't work like you suggested. I had tried the F8 and the repair option and would end up in the same place with it hanging on wextract.exe, like I mentioned.  I also tried the restore last known good configuraton, and it didn't work either.  Then I tried safe mode with command prompt and after some serious thrashing of the hard drive for several minutes before I saw anything, I get a screen that came up and said apply sp1, stage 3 of 3.  There was no option to choose from after selecting safe mode.

At that point I couldn't believe it, and was still skeptical it would finish.  However, the process did finish and the patch was applied, and Windows came up normally.  I am very happy that it came up and that I didn't have to reinstall everything, but what puzzles me is that if the problem I had was due to a security thing, why did it allow my to circumvent that by going into safe mode?

Happy Easter
    Sunday, March 23, 2008 3:15 PM
  • Hey Go,

safe mode works aropund UAC. One of the big complaints bout XP security was the lack of prompting for program installs. Vista attempted to fix this. How ever it does not remember to elivate premissions until the program completes its install.  Your finding command promt worked is great. I do not have vista.

Safe mode in adminstration mode has elivated permsionons. And does not raise the UAC prompte flag.

Since you were installing Vista SP1 it schedule completion of the installation. And saving you a head of installation prompts and password log inst.

There is a fix here. How ever IT IS not a Microsoft Product. And is NOT asupported. The only reason I put it in here is to at least improve some performance things you might enjoy your Vista experiance better.

http://vista.blorge.com/2008/02/25/how-to-fix-three-broken-features-of-vista/

To solve a new install the next time *HFB *Heaven forbit. Look to running as an adminstrator section here from Microsoft documentation.  Sugguest booking marking this or printing it out and then save in a convientent place

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc138019.aspx

This is why I suggest to people to uninstall the RC candidates in safe mode with out having permissions problems. And seems to cleanly replace the original xp instllation.

Not a Microsoft employee

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 8:01 AM
  • The thread diverged a little bit into Vista discussion; I can't tell if you're still having an issue with XPSP3. Did you try steps suggested earlier in the thread? Do you still see this issue?

Thursday, March 27, 2008 7:39 PM
  • I am having this same problem after installing SP3.  I removed SP3 from add/remove control panel but, this still persists.  I can only log into the one administrator account.  Has anyone found a solution.  The above did not work.

Steve
    Thursday, May 15, 2008 11:40 AM