none
cannot install age of empires 3 on windows 7

Question

• i tried to install it on my laptop wich has windows7 and every time i install it, it says "Age if Empires III is incompatible with this version of windows" and when i hit run program anyway. once it starts to install it says that there is an error reading from file...it lists the files name and it says verify thst the fil exsits and that i can access it
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 3:44 AM

Answers

• Hello customer,

First I check the compatibility in Windows 7 Compatibility Center website. Except for the Age Of Empires III Gold Edition, most editions of this games should be working well in Windows 7.

According to your problem description, I'd suggest you installing the Age of empires 3 in Compatibility mode. Right-click on the setup executable/installer file -> Properties and select the Compatibility tab; click the checkbox before Run this program in Compatibility mode for option and select Windows Vista in the list-down box; then try installing the device driver via Run as administrator. In addition, you can use the Windows XP option for testing.

Good Luck!

Andy

Tuesday, December 08, 2009 9:11 AM

All replies

• Hello customer,

First I check the compatibility in Windows 7 Compatibility Center website. Except for the Age Of Empires III Gold Edition, most editions of this games should be working well in Windows 7.

According to your problem description, I'd suggest you installing the Age of empires 3 in Compatibility mode. Right-click on the setup executable/installer file -> Properties and select the Compatibility tab; click the checkbox before Run this program in Compatibility mode for option and select Windows Vista in the list-down box; then try installing the device driver via Run as administrator. In addition, you can use the Windows XP option for testing.

Good Luck!

Andy

Tuesday, December 08, 2009 9:11 AM
  • I did exactly as your instructions told me to do. I too am having troubles installing and getting to run in Windows 7 Pro 32-Bit. Any other suggestions?

please reply to nahtanoj2@yahoo.com
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 3:05 PM
  • I am having the same problem as well, I dont know where to find the setup executable/installer file to even try the previous suggestion. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 7:11 PM
  • I'm also having this problem. Seen as Microsoft closed down Ensemble Studios its unlikely that there will be a fix for the game to run on Windows 7, and no doubt only Windows 7 Proffessional users (or whatever freaking version it is there are so many its a joke) can only use the Windows XP Compatibility add-on thing to run older software. I'm not upgrading to to Proffessional so I can use something I bought prior to Windows 7, and seen as I just spent £100.00 on your opperating system I'm not splashing out on another version with some teeney tiny bit of code added to it :|. Could you suggest a way to get around this problem. I was able to run this game once, worked fine, then I updated the game to latest patch so I could play online and then Windows 7 had a hissy fit next time I tried to run it and no matter what compatibility settings I am running the game as it doesn't want to know.

Other than that though I'm quite liking Windows 7. Oh if it makes any difference I am also having the same issue with both Expansion packs for the game too.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium if that helps.

P.S in your next opperating system can we just limit it to two editions, Business and Home. Saves everyone pulling their hair out when a problem arises and then takes ages to fix, unless of course you're the owners of an Anti-Hairloss Shampoo or something, in which case I can see the benefits of you causing everyone grief.
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 5:18 PM
  • any further news on this?
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 6:08 PM
  • Hi, Are you saying that Age of Empires III Gold Edition does not work with Windows 7? 

I have checked the Windows 7 Compatibilty Center list and can't find it listed.  Cheers....

Thursday, June 10, 2010 9:09 AM
  • I had the same problem just go to http://www.agecommunity.com/gameUpdates.aspx and install the update for the game.  Fixed it.
    • Proposed as answer by cfischbeck Sunday, July 04, 2010 10:32 PM
    Sunday, July 04, 2010 10:32 PM
  • @CFISHBECK and ALL

Are you able to save AOE3 in Win7 x32 or x64bit please.

I have the latest patch v14 i think but it cannot save, it can take up to 5 minutes to save and when i go back it is not there.

I am looking to buy the complete collection which is going cheap at the moment.

Thanks

Erwin

Thursday, August 19, 2010 9:09 PM
  • Hello, I had the same problem installing and this is what I did.

-put in aoe 3

-go to start, my computer, then right click on age of empires 3

-click install directx9

-once you've installed that try installing the game again

Thursday, February 24, 2011 5:27 PM
  • Hi Andy,

I changed the compatibility for windows 7, but then it says that MSXML 4.0 is not installed properly. Please, what should I do now?

Monday, October 17, 2011 12:37 AM
  • Hi I can't even get it to install get as far as the third disk then blue screen....
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 5:15 PM
  • This did the trick. Thank you for the right answer.
    Sunday, February 26, 2012 4:01 PM
  • Hello i am also having trouble installing Age of Empires III the complete Edition, i get to the second disk but then i get an error code as stated

Error 1305.Error reading from file C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\Sound\dialog\GENR0085.mp3

It then says " Verify that the file exsists and that you can access it."

I'm not to sure of what that means or how i can verify that the file exsists and that i can access it? if you could help that would be great

thanks in advance.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 10:00 PM