none
kb2670838

Question

• This morning I downloaded and installed Platform Update for Windows 7 x64-Edition (KB2670838)

Following the restart I noticed the user "Administrator" visible on the desktop. This user had previously not been displayed. I clicked on the Icon and Administrator logon executed with no password required. I soon saw Launchpad Server 2012 requesting a logon. I read the KB article and saw no mention of what I was experiencing. Someone please shed some light on what happened pertinent to this update.

Thursday, February 28, 2013 3:53 PM

All replies

• Do you have an administrative account to install the updates? If not, the system have to use the build-in admin account to install the updates.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Friday, March 01, 2013 8:30 AM
  • I have another problem. After installing this Platform update or IE10, I can not play several (H.264?) videos on my PC. Mpeg2s and AVCHDs work fine. After starting the video from the windows explorer, Windows Media Player starts, but crashes immediatly before playing the video with an error message which has not particular information on the error just a general message. I have a Windows 7 HP x64, AMD HD5770 with the latest Catalyst, no integrated GPU. I think the new H.264 must be the guilty. Have you got any ideas?

Thanks,

panaro

Saturday, March 02, 2013 7:54 PM
  • Do you have an administrative account to install the updates? If not, the system have to use the build-in admin account to install the updates.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Yes, the update was run using an administrative account. Prior to running the update, the only two accounts showing on the logon screen was the guest account and mine (an administrative account).  I can only assume the update somehow added the user "Administrator" as a choice on the logon screen.
    Sunday, March 03, 2013 11:35 PM
  • Hello,

there are a lot of various issues with this update. Don't install it or mask it.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/update-problem-kb2670838/62e4aafb-e73e-4610-83ec-8629a60777be

Cordialement.

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 9:56 PM

• I've not experienced any adverse effects from it. I just found it strange that an update would expose the previously unexposed Administrator user to the desktop. The update has exposed a number of features that I find useful and would only expect to see in the Professional or Ultimate versions running in a domain. I hope these are not removed with a future Update!
    Wednesday, March 06, 2013 1:48 PM