Windows 7 and the battery error "consider replacing your battery" (Part 1)

Question

• ·         Notice: THIS THREAD HAS BEEN LOCKED!

This conversation continues onto Part 2.

The last thread in the conversation is Part 11.

If you have not already done so, please review the troubleshoot battery problems article and the consider replacing your battery article. For tips to conserve battery power please review the Conserving battery power article.

In Windows 7 RC and the previous beta, I have been receiving an error message saying "Consider replacing your battery" "There is a problem with your battery, so your computer might shut down suddenly". 

I know for a fact that the battery is good. It works fine in Vista, its only about 4 months old, it lasts 2 hours +, and even in Windows 7, it will last for the same time period as it did in Vista.

People have been saying (as well as microsoft) that it is the BIOS and it needs to be updated.  Well, I did obtain the latest BIOS from LG, which is dated in 2009, and that didn't change anything.  I'm concluding that it is NOT the BIOS since vista reported the estimated time left of the battery just fine, even before the bios update, and I have the latest BIOS.

I ran the powercfg -energy command and it says that windows was not able to determine the capacity of the battery, yet if I go and install the LG batery application, it will tell me all the information about the battery.

I even went as far as to try my friend's battery which is less than 3 weeks old, and it still gave the same error messages.

Please Microsoft, fix this issue, and if you can't, then give the users an option to take off/disable/supress the blinking X that is on top of the power tray icon, and to remove both the "Consider replacing your battery" and "There is a problem with your battery, so your computer might shut down suddenly" messages so we don't have to see that every day, since the battery is in fact GOOD and works properly.

- Dan 

PS: my hardware specs are:
    LG Xnote R500 (Newest BIOS: CLOSSF19)
    Intel T7500
    4GB RAM + 2GB Intel Turbo Memory

Friday, June 05, 2009 4:06 AM

All replies

• Windows 7 has had issues identifying certain batteries, as you can easily see searching the forum. Due to such prevalence, it is safe to say the issue will be addressed. Thank you for reporting your troubles on the forums.
    Friday, June 05, 2009 3:44 PM
  • My 2 month old Asus Eee PC 900 is having the same issue as DanLee81. My HP dv9920us notebook has no such error message and it's battery is over a year old.

An annoyance at best but still needs to be addressed in the final version.
    Saturday, July 04, 2009 3:10 PM
  • I also have the same problem here. since the BIOS and battery driver updates are not the culprit with this issue, i guess Microsoft should have a look at it. It's not just the blinking and error message that is irritating, it also affects our power forecasting on our machines. But there was one time when I tried draining the battery on my computer, then charging it up to 100%, the error message didn't show. So I tried it again and drained the battery. But with no luck, the error message again, showed up, until now.

Please, to the developers, please fix this problem.

Tuesday, July 07, 2009 2:03 AM
  • It's just a regular bug with the Release Candidate; try to ignore it until there is a patch released.
    Ì'M ØÑĽŶ 14, ŞŎ ĪƑ Ɩ ƓĚȚ ƖȚ ŴŖƟŊĠ ĐƠŅ'Ť ĆƟMPÀÎŅ
    Tuesday, July 07, 2009 8:13 AM
  • yeah,I met the same question.and I wonder how to deal with it.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 2:41 PM
  • MSDN RTM of Windows 7 did NOT fix this issue. Clearly the issue has not been addressed. I don't know why MS didn't fix this for the final RTM, espically when so many people have this problem.
    Friday, August 07, 2009 12:44 PM
  • MSDN RTM of Windows 7 did NOT fix this issue. Clearly the issue has not been addressed. I don't know why MS didn't fix this for the final RTM, espically when so many people have this problem.
    I agree with you.

Greetings
    Monday, August 10, 2009 12:17 AM
  • Try using device manager to disable "microsoft acpi-compliant control method battery."  It seems to be a temporary solution to my similar problem.  Although I now have no metering, I can get more than 35 minutes on battery.  If this temporary soultion works for you, please leave a reply.

Ed
    Monday, August 10, 2009 1:41 AM
  • That is not a valid solution as you don't need to disable the "microsoft acpi-compliant control method battery".  You can just turn off the "Power" system icon if you do not want to see the blinking X on the battery icon.  Still that is unacceptable, as I know my battery is new, it lasts for MORE than 2 hours, and it is only a few months old!

Please Microsoft... let us have the option to disable all messages and the blinking X icons saying we have a bad battery when we actually do not.  If you won't, then at least bring back the option to have the same battery behaviour as Vista.  The battery icon/messages worked fine there.
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 5:14 PM
  • Thank you all for keeping this issue alive.

Actually, the best way to keep it alive is for the origional poster to unmark the thread as resolved if they truely have not received a resolution.

I was having excellent battery life until I installed the RTM of Windows 7 - all RC and beta builds that I installed I had nearly three hours of battery.  Now, I have about 20 minutes and Win7 shuts down my laptop.

This change in behavior happened when I went from an RC to RTM.  Instant behavior change.
    Needless to say, I like you that have posted here are not happy.

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful)
    Tuesday, September 01, 2009 1:57 AM
  • It could help to avoid automatic switching off and keep the information about battery charge:
    Setup Critical battery action to 'Do Nothing'
    The tool is powercfg.exe
    To change the 'Battery->Critical battery action->'On battery' setting to "Do nothing" using powercfg.exe
       1. activate the power scheme you want to modify.
       2. open an elevated command console (windows key, type 'cmd' in start menu, press "ctrl+shift+enter", click 'continue')
       3. execute "powercfg -setdcvalueindex SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_BATTERY BATACTIONCRIT 0"
       4. your current power scheme will show "Battery->Critical battery action->On battery: Do nothing" despite the option being unavailable in the drop box.
    Monday, September 07, 2009 2:39 PM
  • Thank you for the work around - but it is still just a work around. 

It does not resolve the root cause of the problem.

Tuesday, September 08, 2009 2:59 PM
  • I too, am having this issue on (2) matching dv6000-hp laptops. At first, I was thinking the laptop is a couple years old, and sat on a shelf gathering dust, not being stored properly. I went to replace the batteries, and realized that HP had recalled them. So i replaced them with brand new batts from the factory. And wala! same issue. This is def. an OS issue that needs to be addressed, but to be honest, as frustrating as it may be, this is the worst thing ive heard about 7, so Im actually super proud of MS. And are confident that a patch, or update will be released very soon.  Right Mr. Gates? :-)
    Monday, October 12, 2009 1:27 PM
  • since updating windows 7 im getting a msg on the battery meter icon, "fully charged (100%) consider replacing your battery" im running a acer aspire 5520 & its about a year old is there any fixes for this or am i doing something wrong any help greatly recieved thanks

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 1:18 PM
  • since using windows update on windows 7 my battery meter says "fully charged (100%) consider replacing your battery" are there any fixes for this im using a acer aspire 5520 approx a year old
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 6:31 PM
  • This is a question you should ask Acer Support.  It could be the chipset driver is not comaptible with Windows 7, but in any case hardware questions are best answered by the manufacturer of the laptop.
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, October 21, 2009 1:24 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, February 03, 2010 8:26 AM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 6:36 PM
  • Hi GazBramley,

As Rick said, this issue shall be caused by the driver is not compatible with Windows 7. After checking the Acer website, there is no new driver update provided. Please see HERE. Therefore, it is highly recommended contacting Acer directly to check this issue.

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

In addition, try replacing the battery and see if the issue occurs.

Please also refer to this thread: Consider Replacing your battery - Windows 7 RC.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, October 21, 2009 1:24 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, February 03, 2010 8:26 AM
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 3:08 AM
  • thanks for the response but after visiting acers update site theres no drivers at all for windows 7 does this mean i have to downgrade to cure this issue or will there be a windows fix in the near future & am i harming my notebook further by continuing to use windows 7 ?
    after googling this problem ive noticed theres quite a few people with the same or similar problems all relating to the battery meter & windows 7

many thanks again for your help so far
                                                                  Gaz. 
    Friday, October 16, 2009 6:14 PM
  • thanks for the response but after visiting acers update site theres no drivers at all for windows 7 does this mean i have to downgrade to cure this issue or will there be a windows fix in the near future & am i harming my notebook further by continuing to use windows 7 ?
    after googling this problem ive noticed theres quite a few people with the same or similar problems all relating to the battery meter & windows 7

many thanks again for your help so far
                                                                  Gaz. 

Actually it means anyone and everyone having problems with Windows 7 due to lack of compatible drivers should contact Acer Tech Support and let them know about the problem.  Acer is the one that will ultimately have to provide the solution, not Microsoft.  If people don't bother to let Acer know they are having problems, then Acer will not know they need to take action to correct the problem.
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 1:41 PM
  • Hi Gaz,

Please understand that as Rick mentioned, we need to work closely with the hardware manufacturer to fix this kind of issue. Therefore, please contact Acer and confirm their opinion on this issue as well. Also confirm if they have published any updates for this particular issue.

Your understanding regarding this matter is very much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Linda

Monday, October 19, 2009 2:39 AM
  • I have Toshiba Satellite L40-14D and have similar problems. Low battery life and an error message saying "Consider replacing your battery".
    PS: I have official RTM of Windows 7 32bit Ultimate

Micosoft, please fix it!
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 3:35 PM
  • Wow, this thread is really hott. Microsoft theres a problem.....
    Network Systems Engineer * Zvetco Biometrics * Windows Server 2008 R2 * Core2 6600 @ 2.40GHz * 16 GIGS RAM * NVIDIA 9400GT *
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 5:03 PM
  • Same problem with my Alienware Area-51 m5550, only 30 min of battery, please a fix, i have these problem since RC.

waiting for a patch.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 6:22 PM
  • I am having the same problem with my Dell XPS M1530: "consider replacing your battery" message while plugged in and erroneous readings and early shut down when running off battery.  I did not have any trouble with Vista and have tried the various updates suggested in this thread without success.

I just messaged Microsoft Helps on Twitter:

@MicrosoftHelps Any plans or suggestions to address the #Win7 battery errors described on this TechNet thread? http://bit.ly/4vOZdM

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 7:57 PM
  • I am havin this problem with my Acer Aspire 5100. The battery worked perfectly with WinXP, though.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 6:03 PM
  • Same here, 15 months old Dell XPS M 1330. Until the day before yesterday on Vista 32 bit worked like dream and battery kept over 2hrs. As of Window 7, it keeps max 40 minutes. Help, Microsoft!
    Friday, October 30, 2009 8:04 PM
  • Same problem here - Toshiba Satellite U205.  I recently replaced the original battery - everything was fine until I installed W7 last weekend (from Vista Home Prem.) - now the red X seems permanent.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 12:11 AM
  • seems like the only solution is to switch back to the unstable vista.. or mayb its time to go mac finally? lol .. either way i dont see a fix or any response/interest from microsoft in the near future :p because this issue seems to have existed since pre-release versions of windows 7 .. it's annoying! grrr
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 12:23 AM
  • Same problem here. I'm running Win7 RC b7201 with latest updates on an Asus EeePC 900 and i'm getting the message "There is a problem with your battery, so your computer might shut down suddenly". But the actual battery life seems to be ok. The powercfg tool tells me i've got a battery with a very huge capacity; this is, actually, the true cause of the problem. Also, sometimes the tray icon tells me that it's charging when actually it's on battery. These strange things are (again sometimes) followed by the DPC process eating all my CPU time. Of course, disabling the battery driver "fixes" all these, but then i've got no idea of my remaining battery energy. I'd be happy to see the fix for there issues, before i switch to RTM (MSDN).
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 6:23 AM
  • Me too..

The problem appeared about two weeks after the Windows7 installation.
    My HP DV9000 only lasted about 50 minutes on Windows7, against 3.5 hours in Windows XP.

So the battery-time has always been bad, but this notification just started popping up today.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 8:06 AM
  • Windows 7 has had issues identifying certain batteries, as you can easily see searching the forum. Due to such prevalence, it is safe to say the issue will be addressed.
    Well... any news on this? Does Microsoft know about this problem? Do they work on a fix? Any infos or news on this? It's really getting frustrating.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 11:37 AM
  • Well... any news on this? Does Microsoft know about this problem? Do they work on a fix? Any infos or news on this? It's really getting frustrating.
    @MicrosoftHelps sent the following response to the tweet I posted above:

@Tim_Michael @mbfortson Keep an eye on the thread to see what suggestions moderators posting and possible fixes. ^BK

Saturday, October 31, 2009 3:58 PM
  • Thanks for the info, mbfortson ! Is this good news?!
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 7:15 PM
  • Well... any news on this? Does Microsoft know about this problem? Do they work on a fix? Any infos or news on this? It's really getting frustrating.
    @MicrosoftHelps sent the following response to the tweet I posted above:

@Tim_Michael @mbfortson Keep an eye on the thread to see what suggestions moderators posting and possible fixes. ^BK

I did not get this on my twitter!

Funny????

Tim
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 7:40 PM
  • Me too..

The problem appeared about two weeks after the Windows7 installation.
    My HP DV9000 only lasted about 50 minutes on Windows7, against 3.5 hours in Windows XP.

So the battery-time has always been bad, but this notification just started popping up today.

My dv9207us, which is still running vista,  started giving me this error when I accidentally let the battery run down one time.  I think my notification comes from HP though, rather than microsoft.  The shut down seems to have prompted the error.  I've been ignoring it since I only use the laptop with the power adapter attached.

Saturday, October 31, 2009 11:36 PM
  • Same Problem..

Windows 7 RTM Professional
    hp dv6000

How did Microsoft release the Retail version without rectifying this bug??

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 5:48 PM
  • I just installed win7 ultimate on my acer aspire one netbook and found that not only did windows not see the battery, but it wouldn't charge either. i read through this forum and saw some people updated their bios. so i decided to take a look at mine. found there was an updated version. i updated my bios and BAM! now it seems to be charging just fine. i will update with battery life when i have it fully charged.

Thanks for all the help here

~Pete
    Friday, November 27, 2009 3:35 PM
  • i was googling and came upon this site i was reading thinking the post was old but its very recent WTH Microsoft so has no windows update fixed this issue does anyone know?
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 5:43 AM
  • A solution to your Problem:
    My daughter's laptop had startup failure so repair shop ended up replacing hard drive and I reinstalled Windows OS. A couple of weeks later same thing; No startup can't even get into Bios. I removed Battery from Laptop and away it went. No more problems. It was not Windows 7 or a battery complaint specifically, but if you want your portable/lap top to work with no complaints, and better, Remove the Battery. Outside the Box.
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 9:43 AM
  • Same problem on HP NC6320 business class laptop.

Sunday, November 29, 2009 1:54 PM
  • Same problem on HP NC6320 business class laptop.

And on Toshiba Satellite L200.
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 8:31 PM
  • i have a vostro 1500 (2yrs old)  that i upgraded from vista home premium to windows 7 home premium.  I am finding that the battery life that should be 8 hours is not holding to 8hours.  I am finding after 1 hour it drops down to 3hours, then after a few minutes drops down to 2hours.  I have not allowed it to go lower than 2hours.  I thought it was the battery so i replaced it with a brand new battery and am finding the exact same problem.  I did not have this problem on vista prior to windows 7 upgrade.  It seems the problem lies only with the upgraded versions of windows 7.  I have a brand new netbook that has a 6hr battery life in it and it is holding the battery life.

After reading all of your comments it also seems like it is only if you upgrade from vista to windows 7.  Microsoft you really need to fix this bug because i just went out and paid $60 bucks for a new battery to find the same exact thing happening, and it cannot be the battery because it is brand new.  Also i have the latest bios on this laptop.  i updated the bios prior to installing windows 7 home premium upgrade. Also it does charge and shows it is at 100%.

robin
    Tuesday, December 01, 2009 12:00 AM
  • is not only if you upgrade to 7 , i did a clean install and have the same problem. 

Tuesday, December 01, 2009 1:00 AM
  • Hi Everyone,

I have the same problem with a RTM windows 7 professional version (MSDN) on my hp paviliion 1022la notebook. Battery life is a critical issue on a notebook and I don't understand how microsoft is not giving an official explanation of the cause of this problem and say at least that they are allready working on the solution. Please don't let us down microsoft. 

Saturday, December 05, 2009 7:32 AM
  • Hi All,
    Perhaps this will solve the issue-
    Click Start>type gpedit.msc in the search box and select gpedit in programs from the results.

Once in gpedit under Computer configuration click on/expand Administrative Templates and select the last item All Settings

In the All Settings detail pane scroll down to the L's and you should find " Low battery notification level" and "Low battery notification action".

First select Low battery notification level and in the top left pane you will see edit policy. Select those blue letters.

First, click on enable.

Then you will need to set the percentage of power for the warning. Choose what you like, 10% perhaps. Then click OK.

Next move to the Low battery notification action policy item. Select it and the edit policy.

Enable it and set the action that you prefer.

Select ok and close out of the gpedit.

Reboot and test.

This worked on a desktop with a back-up UPS where the user did not want the 3rd party software installed. Same approach on a laptop.

Any success?
    Saturday, December 05, 2009 12:55 PM
  • Hi All,
    Perhaps this will solve the issue-
    Click Start>type gpedit.msc in the search box and select gpedit in programs from the results.

Once in gpedit under Computer configuration click on/expand Administrative Templates and select the last item All Settings

In the All Settings detail pane scroll down to the L's and you should find " Low battery notification level" and "Low battery notification action".

First select Low battery notification level and in the top left pane you will see edit policy. Select those blue letters.

First, click on enable.

Then you will need to set the percentage of power for the warning. Choose what you like, 10% perhaps. Then click OK.

Next move to the Low battery notification action policy item. Select it and the edit policy.

Enable it and set the action that you prefer.

Select ok and close out of the gpedit.

Reboot and test.

This worked on a desktop with a back-up UPS where the user did not want the 3rd party software installed. Same approach on a laptop.

Any success?
    Unfortunately, no success. But thanks for trying. 
    (Same problem on Server 2008 R2)
    Saturday, December 05, 2009 2:59 PM
  • I've had the same problems with the "Consider replacing your battery" message and my battery life going from 2 hours to approx 20 minutes since I loaded Windows 7 on my laptop.  I'm extremely unhappy about this and don't want to have to go back to evil Vista!  Would appreciate any help/advice/fixes that anyone has found.  PLEASE Microsoft...help us!!
    Saturday, December 05, 2009 6:59 PM
  • You will have to address your problem to the manufacturer/vendor of your laptop.  Do you have all the software utilites and drivers installed for your system?

I personally don't feel your problem is caused by Windows 7.  I have a laptop and a netbook running Win 7 and there has been absolutely no affect on my battery life.  In fact, my battery running time has increased with Windows 7 so I am assuming it has my systems running more efficient than they were with Win XP.  I do have the manufacturer Power Management software installed which manages the CPU speed and increases battery life, but Microsoft does not write that - the manufacturer writes that Power Management software.
    Saturday, December 05, 2009 9:08 PM
  • Do you have the right ACPI driver installed it may not be included with the chipset drivers its usually separate.  Yeah the software is the same as Windows.  Microsoft did make it.  There software is supposed to communicate with Windows battery and AC drivers.  They add other power features cause Windows really has none.   You either want battery life or max performance.  Then the manufacturer makes a template setting in between the two, jazzes up the interface then wonders why people can't wait to get their hands on install CD to do a fresh install.  You know the manufacturer buy the boards from the same place.  Manufacture tweak software has been known to hide the truth.  I just installed on a laptop that had a dead battery.  Im glad it tells the person hey you need a new battery because they have known for while but want to ignore it.  Now you can't.

Sunday, December 06, 2009 3:40 AM
  • Do you have the right ACPI driver installed it may not be included with the chipset drivers its usually separate.  Yeah the software is the same as Windows.  Microsoft did make it.  There software is supposed to communicate with Windows battery and AC drivers.  They add other power features cause Windows really has none.   You either want battery life or max performance.  Then the manufacturer makes a template setting in between the two, jazzes up the interface then wonders why people can't wait to get their hands on install CD to do a fresh install.  You know the manufacturer buy the boards from the same place.  Manufacture tweak software has been known to hide the truth.  I just installed on a laptop that had a dead battery.  Im glad it tells the person hey you need a new battery because they have known for while but want to ignore it.  Now you can't.

Microsoft does NOT write the ACPI driver!  I know because I have installed Windows 7 and I had to obtain the ACPI driver from the manufacturer in both cases.  The ACPI is a hardware driver and Microsoft DOES NOT write drivers for other hardware manufacturer's hardware.  In one case I downlaoded the ACPI driver from the Asus Support website and in the other case I downloaded the ACPI driver from Dell.

Any and all drivers Microsoft may include with the installation disc or available via Windows Update are written by the respective hardware/vendor and provide to Microsoft!
    Sunday, December 06, 2009 2:44 PM
  • Do you read the post grammatically or something.  ACPI is provided manufacturer First line.  I said software manufacturers write for powermanagement is just an extension of whats already included.  Yeah they don't make the driver !

"Microsoft Composite Battery

The Microsoft Composite Battery component provides the Microsoft-supplied Composite Battery Driver, a kernel-mode driver, in the compbatt.sys file. The composite battery driver tracks the status of system batteries and serves as an intermediary between the Power Manager and the battery class and miniclass drivers.

This component also supplies the INF (information) files, acpi.inf and machine.inf. The machine.inf file is the system-supplied INF file for a standard device.

Services

There are no services associated with this component.

Associated Components

This component is associated with the Primitive: Battc.sys component, which provides the battery class driver.

Settings

There are no configurable settings for this component. "

Sunday, December 06, 2009 4:51 PM
  • Hi I'm new to this forum. I have the same problem with my HP dv9700 as stated by DanLee81.  Windows 7 is not supported on my laptop so HP was no help. I just don't want to go back to Vista. Anyone have any updates today or am I going to have to ask my friend to teach me how to use a MAC? Yuck! 

I feel bad for the people who have had this problem since June!

I see all the commercials about how people told Microsoft what they wanted their Operating System to do. I'd like to punch the guy in the nose that called in about this one.
    Monday, December 07, 2009 8:56 PM
  • I know a number of other people have tried updating their BIOS without success, but for what it's worth I just fixed this exact problem on my ASUS V1S by doing so.

If there are any other V1S users reading this thread, I upgraded from 209 to 301. The BIOS file I used is available on the ASUS V1S page, at http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=fw8vTYaULIIwcx3d. The flash utility in the BIOS was unable to load them from the hard drive, so I ended up using a USB floppy disc drive.
    • Proposed as answer by chramos Wednesday, December 09, 2009 12:02 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by DanLee81 Sunday, January 03, 2010 5:41 PM
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 2:28 AM
  • I own a HP Pavilion dv6933cl laptop, which came with vista 64-bit preinstalled. I upgraded to windows 7 64-bit, I also have the error  "consider replacing your battery".and always had a "X" on the battery icon.  I know that the battery is OK, I hope that microsoft revolve this issue soon
    Wednesday, December 09, 2009 12:03 AM
  • I have an HP Pavilion 6880EV and I am receiving the same message " Consider replacing your battery".
    I have this issue since I installed Windows 7 64bit, previously with Windows Vista everything was fine.

p.s.1 my laptop is one and a half years old
    p.s.2 the battery lasts for about an hour
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 9:30 AM
  • I'm using a 27 month old Gateway MX8716B; fortunately I work mostly from a power socket but I can usually get around 45 minutes on battery under Vista SP2.

Just clean installed 7HP (and I mean clean installed, zapped all the partitions, started completely from scratch, etc). I'm getting the whinge about a bad battery and I daren't try it that away from power. It runs indefinitely from a power socket, so guess that's a small mercy.

Microsoft, after three months for such a critical error (given that many folks use their laptops away from mains power), this is not good enough.

Fix it now, please.
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 10:00 AM
  • I have the same problem with my HP DV9408ca with 2 different batteries... Microsoft please get this fixed it's been long enough.
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 12:49 AM
  • Wow, this thread is really hott. Microsoft theres a problem.....
    Network Systems Engineer * Zvetco Biometrics * Windows Server 2008 R2 * Core2 6600 @ 2.40GHz * 16 GIGS RAM * NVIDIA 9400GT *
    There's an understatement. How about... "Microsoft's a problem?"
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 9:44 PM
  • yeah. this is too much. i am awaiting some response from Microsoft. i do think this is the best windows operating system ever launched but has minor defects. solving this problem would be a great work and i would really appreciate it.

the X mark over the battery really irritates. i don't know whether it will  effect the battery performance but it gets me furious whenever i see it. 

So please get this problem fixed Microsoft.
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 1:57 PM
  • Hi. Seems this will gather speed now MS has a sniff of it?

Here is my CFG report.

Battery:Last Full Charge (%)
    The battery stored less than 40% of the Designed Capacity the last time the battery was fully charged.
    Battery ID Hewlett-PackardPrimary
    Design Capacity 88800
    Last Full Charge 18470
    Last Full Charge (%) 20
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 8:15 PM
  • I am having the same problem that others are reporting. I upgraded my laptop from XP to Win 7 and my battery life went from about 2 hours to 30 minutes. The system shuts down (hibernates) without any warning. The powercfg -energy report shows
    The battery stored less than 40% of the Designed Capacity the last time the battery was fully charged.
    Design Capacity 71280
    Last Full Charge 23220
    Last Full Charge (%) 32

when mousing over the power plug red x i get:
    99% available (plugged in, not charging)
    Consider replacing your battery.

This battery is not very old and worked fine with XP. Now a full charge lasts maybe 30 minutes but seems to be getting shorter every cycle. I now am running with the laptop plugged in most all the time due to the immediate (no warnings) hibernation. This is annoying to say the least.
    Friday, January 01, 2010 4:08 AM
  • MICROSOFT - Where are you! - Windows 7 was supposedly designed by users, why aren't you listening to them?

I had been running win7 on an acer 4730z under the release candidate from sept-nov. and then installed the retail release the first week it was out. My laptop worked perfectly with no issues. Currently running x64 Ultimate with all drivers and firmware up to date at the time of retail install. Under vista home premium I had a battery life of almost 2hrs. on the default "balanced" configuration. Under win7 I got about an 1.5hrs on default balanced, which is less due to the loss of adaptive display function which was available with Vista. That was until the last week of November (4 weeks after retail install of win7) and started getting the replace battery warning and less than 20min. on the default power saver. I am very dissapointed with this performance and clearly understand this to be an issue with Windows 7 as I have eliminated all other variables. Even restored my laptop to Vista home premium and is now getting close to its 2hr. charge. And to think I have recommended win7 to several people, I almost never recommend a windows product, now I know why. I might reconsider my upcoming decision to go mac if they would simply acknowledge or correct this problem with their OS. I am also going to Acer as I am still under warranty, doubtful they will do anything as it is an OS issue and not a hardware issue.

Here are my energy stats as of last week:
    Battery:Last Full Charge (%) The battery stored less than 40% of the Designed Capacity the last time the battery was fully charged.
    Battery ID A2SONY AS07A41
    Design Capacity 48840
    Last Full Charge 14652
    Last Full Charge (%) 30
    Friday, January 01, 2010 10:12 AM
  • I am also having similiar problems with my windows 7 64 bit compaq presario, does anyone know if it is worth calling tech support?
    Friday, January 01, 2010 4:30 PM
  • Same here - the battery battery life dropped to almost nothing after doing a clean install of windows 7 (it was fine before that, about 1.5-2 hours).

Looks like Microsoft must issue either a fix or a recall ASAP, given that this software bug is causing persistent hardware damage (and it would be much more expensive to try to fix the problem later by shipping brand new batteries to many latop owners all over the world) - the Pentium FDIV bug or the Sony battery recall are nothing compared to this...

Now, after only 3-4 days since Windows 7 got installed, the full battery charge shows only 15%!

Battery ID 2100202006G71C0004S610
    Design Capacity 50760
    Last Full Charge 7905
    Last Full Charge (%) 15

Worse, I tried a second battery I had around (which was working fine in another latop), and windows 7 ate it up in 2 days :(
    Saturday, January 02, 2010 2:17 AM
  • Same problem for me:

Clean install from xp

Batterylife before installing was about 2 hours. After installing it dropped to 24 min! Batterybar v3.3.2. says battery wear is 90%
    System does indeed go into hibernation because of critical battery level

Battery ID 2752SMPDELL YD7367
    Design Capacity 57720
    Last Full Charge 6172
    Last Full Charge (%) 10
    Saturday, January 02, 2010 1:39 PM
  • Same problen..HP Pavilion DV6000. Clean install from XP to Win 7 Ultimate - appears that Microsoft has trashed a 2 month old 12-cell battery. I just upgraded to an HP G60 that is coming with Vista pre-installed, makes me very hesitant to upgrade OS. Microsoft needs to make this right.
    Ian
    Saturday, January 02, 2010 10:49 PM
  • Having this issue on my HP Pavillion DV6000 since the last ten days or so. Was about to buy a battery on Ebay and did a search for 'consider replacing your battery' and landed here. My battery is more than two and a half years old so not really sure if the battery died. Running Windows 7 Ultimate RC build 7100 64-bit. 
    Sunday, January 03, 2010 12:13 AM
  • Hai... Even i have the Same problem. I have An Acer Extensa 4610 laptop, from past 3 days its showing the same message for me. I thought my Battery was dead, and was going to buy a new one. I simply Googled it, i can understand that it was problem with WIN 7... Kindly advice me what shall i do next to resolve it.............

Sunday, January 03, 2010 12:36 PM
  • Same problem for me:

Clean install from xp

Batterylife before installing was about 2 hours. After installing it dropped to 24 min! Batterybar v3.3.2. says battery wear is 90%
    System does indeed go into hibernation because of critical battery level

Battery ID 2752SMPDELL YD7367
    Design Capacity 57720
    Last Full Charge 6172
    Last Full Charge (%) 10
    That's worse then mine. This is terrible.
    Sunday, January 03, 2010 1:04 PM
  • Yep, I need to set my window settings to automatically shutdown around 22% battery life
    because it usually  all of a sudden dies around 20%, f***n up sh*t!  I have the same issues as everyone else here.
    HP G60 120US laptop Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
    maybe about a year old or less

Battery ID Hewlett-Packard Primary
    Design Capacity 47520
    Last Full Charge 14818
    Last Full Charge (%) 31

Sunday, January 03, 2010 5:48 PM
  • OK! I can TOTALLY CONFIRM that Microsoft IS wrecking our batteries. With a battery thats less than ONE year old, worked totally fine in Vista (lasting 2+ hours), AND~ has less than 80 charge cycles, (LESS THAN 80 CHARGES!!!!) Windows 7 has caused the battery to stop charging at 80%, and the battery TOTALLY dies at 28%.  The computer completely shuts off without warning.

I installed vista again after formatting, just because I wanted to prove my point that the battery is totally broken, and surely enough, after installing Windows Vista, the battery behaves exactly the same!! even after a complete drain/charge.

Good job Microsoft, you just cost me (and almost all windows 7 laptop owners) their battery!! Now what are you going to do!!?
    Sunday, January 03, 2010 5:53 PM
  • Yeah me too! Went back to vista and the damage is permanent now. Halfway charge and then dead. If I knew 7 was gonna DESTROY my battery I wouldn't have touched it.

Microsoft owes me a battery.
    Sunday, January 03, 2010 8:55 PM
  • yes ! now i ve installed ubuntu 9.10 on another partition and now Ubuntu tells me that my battery is damaged !! only after 2 months with microsoft seven ! Damn...at least i would like microsoft to refunds me the costs of seven upgrade ! 
    Sunday, January 03, 2010 10:53 PM
  • You can try, but I highly doubt it.  I assure you that you will get the "ok now unplug it and wait 15 seconds and plug it back in" solution that offer everyone.
    If you find my post helpful, please hit the "Vote as helpful" button on the top left of my post so that others may see that it is helpful as well. Thank you, Shawn
    Monday, January 04, 2010 7:04 PM
  • Does the new Microsoft ACPI battery management affect Ubuntu if Windows 7 and Ubuntu are dual booting? The reason I ask is, I just recieved a replacement battery from Acer on warranty. Will my battery get damaged if I keep it off Windows 7 and just use it when on Ubuntu?
    Monday, January 04, 2010 10:07 PM
  • From what I can tell, it is O.S. related and not machine related.
    If you find my post helpful, please hit the "Vote as helpful" button on the top left of my post so that others may see that it is helpful as well. Thank you, Shawn
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 12:24 AM
  • My laptop came with Vista, and is certified. It is supported for Windows 7 as well, by drivers and the free upgrade. If it is the manufacturer's problem, how is it that Vista was fine, but Windows 7 wasn't. Out of curiosity, does Windows 7 really kill the battery, and if so how?
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 5:14 AM
  • I know that Windows is an OS and not a driver... I'm a software engineer.  I also know what ACPI is...

I have contacted LG. I have relatives in Korea who work at LG. How much higer do you want me to go up??  I also know people who work at LG Canada.
    BOTH~ say its not their hardware. AND BOTH state that microsoft needs to fix this issue because it is happening to almost all of LG's laptop line.

The laptop is FINE. It is fully supported in windows VISTA and Windows 7.  Its just windows 7 has this STUPID BUG which breaks batteries.  MS needs to own up and fix this!
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 5:20 AM
  • I have checked a few machines my clients have and one is HP, anther is Acer etc. and it had no problems with XP and when we tested Window 7 it seemed OK on a machine that was a couple of years old.

I haev not yet tried Windows 7 on a netbook.

I am aware of some problems with batteries that resulted in a recall. They were made by Sony and are in a lot of machines not just Sony.

I suspect some machines that came with XP may not do well with Windows 7 mainly because they are underpowered, while machines with Vista should be OK if they are logo compliant.

If you are having problems with your battery it could be you need ACPI drivers that match your gear to get better results. So check with your manufacturer and see if they are willing to support Windows 7 or not.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe

Server: ASRock P4-2GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, Linux Server, need IDE/SATA disks for my chess site

Workstation: Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, Athlon64 X2 4200+ 65W CPU, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA 8600GT, 320GB + 160G backup, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

My laptop is Windows Vista certified, so it shouldn't have a problem with Windows 7.

The problem isn't it draining the battery too fast.  The problem is that the O.S. is greatly reducing the maximum life of the battery.  So it's not that it's draining a battery from 100% to 0% in an hour, it's that Windows 7 is only allowing the battery to charge up to 8%-30% of the maximum capacity of the battery and then sees it as being "full".

Tuesday, January 05, 2010 1:28 PM
  • Like many of you I am now joining the ranks of those that have had their battery totally ruined after the installation.

I have made other statements in this thread and I still stand behind them.

I tested the betas of Win7 on this same notebook without having this issue and had really, really excellent battery life on the betas as well.
    It is because of this behavior that I don't blame the hardware manufacturers at all.

I now am buying a new battery because my existing one will no longer take a charge for longer than 5 minutes and the life has been totally drawn from it, it has lost its will to live.

I will let you all know if a total battery replacement solves my problem as it has for others.

Monday, January 11, 2010 5:19 PM
  •  I have two notebooks, one is Dell Vostro 1310 (2Ghz, 4Gb mem, 250 Gg Hardisk & 6 cell battery) and on this notebook the battery already appear a message "consider... change..." and red X on battery icone. 

The another notebook is a Dell Studio XPS 1340 (2,53Ghz, 6 Gb mem, 500 Gb harddisk & 6 cell battery - new less then 1 month) and when I read this post, I put the software battery care and my battery already wear level to 8,71% and stop to down this value. 

Now, I make testing on my netbooks (Acer Aspire One) to see if this problem happens. 

- Airton  

Sunday, January 31, 2010 8:27 PM
  • I have the same problem.

My notebook was pre-installed with Windows 7 Professional and about 6 weeks later, the "consider replacing your battery" message popped up in the system tray and of course the big red X with 0% remaining icon.

My battery still works completely fine, but it is extremely annoying that I do not have the estimated time left information, and the risk that my computer will shut down suddenly when the battery runs out.  Luckily, my battery has a built in battery life tester so that I can monitor how much life is left by pushing the test button every hour or so, but this is ridiculous.

The other issue Windows 7 has is the lag in the animated windows when they are minimized and maximized.  My computer has an NVIDIA G105M graphics card so I know that it is more than capable of handling these small animations.  I have resorted to disabling the animation in the control panel settings to solve the problem.

I am extremely disappointed with Windows 7.  I am shocked that this battery issue is still not resolved given the massive amount of people on this forum alone with the same problem .

Although Microsoft pretty much holds a monopoly in the corporate market, if they do not get their game together Apple will eventually dominate the consumer market for notebooks.

My notebook:

Samsung Q320
    Core 2 Duo P8700
    4GB RAM
    Windows 7 Professional

- Adrian

Monday, February 01, 2010 12:11 AM
  • It's FEB NOW!

This is RIDICULOUS!
    Monday, February 01, 2010 9:06 AM
  • I'm having the same issue on Windows 7 x64 with a HP Compaq 6715s Laptop.

Hope Microsoft will soon have a solution and/or patch!
    Monday, February 01, 2010 10:17 AM
  • I have the same problem with a TOSHIBA SATELLITE L40 .If I unplug the power cord the battery lasts about 10 minutes then the notebook switches off. I ahve received the message about changing battery but now I dont anymore. It just shows the red X on the battery icon.
    Monday, February 01, 2010 10:58 AM
  • I have a Toshiba Satellite T110, 3 weeks old, until yesterday it used state that I had 7 hours battery life after a full charge, today after a full charge after the last windows updates, it states that I have 4 hours left, This laptop came with Windows 7 preinstaled with a stated battery life of between 8-10 hours!  I've only had in on now 15 minutes and my charge has now gone down to 2 hours 24 minutes... I've also contacted Toshiba about this problem and I'm awaiting a reply!

Monday, February 01, 2010 3:48 PM
  • I have a Sony Vaio SZ. Even though it is less than 2 years old Sony refuse to provide W7 drivers and most of the Generic Microsoft drivers don't work due to a specialised chipset. I use my laptop on battery maybe once a month. It was great with the W7 Beta and the RC  but as soon as I installed the RTM my battery life kept dropping and dropping untill now I get about 20 mins and the problem exists also on XP which I have on another partition. I'm also getting plenty of complete freezes needing a hard reset to recover from. It's a real shame, I love W7 but in spite of what people have been saying recently, you have to wait till SP1 to trust any version of Windows.
    Monday, February 01, 2010 6:05 PM
  • I have resolved the problem completely discharged battery by starting the pc with dos until the total shutdown of the pc and then charging it without turn it completely.
    To restart x over the battery icon has disappeared.

Try

Monday, February 01, 2010 6:24 PM
  • NO I have resolved the problem completely discharged battery by starting the pc with dos until the total shutdown of the pc and then charging it without turn it completely.
    To restart x over the battery icon has disappeared.

Try

FALSE INFORMATION!!!!

You are WRONG! Yes the x dissapears but it is not back to normal. Your battery is still damaged and is likely to be only using 40% of its actual capacity. Maybe even less.

It will still do the stupid random cut outs and everything. All you have done is remove the annoying x. Yout battery is still buggered!

CMON MICROSOFT HP EVERYONE!
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 1:22 AM
  • I have an Acer Aspire 6290 and i got this a bit more than a year ago and had an average span of 2 hours. Now that I have installed 7, I get messages saying that my battery has been degraded and need to be replaced and shuts off the laptop in about 10 mins. Rolling back does not work either. I feel rip off! I wish that Microsoft would give me a refund for my battery of buy me a new one for the damage they have caused.
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 9:52 PM
  • latitude E6500, Win7 Enterprise...my VERY expensive battery went from over 2 and a half hours to 45 minutes and going down. I thought it was my battery just malfunctioning...turns out is not
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 10:31 PM
  • Well I tried going back to XP... I ran the battery down in BIOS and booted my old XP partition. It started charging, reached 25% then started going down until it reached 0%. It then jumped to 100%. I unplugged the power cord and it started again at 14% eventually reaching 100%. Then it started going down reaching 94% before jumping back up to 100%. I let it sit idle in XP and managed 40 mins, 20 mins longer than in XP. Back in W7 now. This is unreal.
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 10:43 PM
  • Yea, I have a Latitude E6400. My battery is a little over 1 year old. I still have 4 hours and a half (9 hours when the battery was new - using the 9-cell) of battery and I get this message. In result, Windows doesn't provide me the battery time left. I have to use a gadget to show me the remaining time. 4 hours and Windows complains... come on!
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 12:13 AM
  • i am having also the same problem on my Vaio VGN-NR360D laptop when i upgraded to windows 7. My battery sucks after 15 minutes even though it is fully charged. I analyzed my battery using 3rd party softwares the results are incredible, Design Capacity 53000 mWH Full Capacity 48000 mWH! how come that my battery last for only 15 minutes if i have only 9% wear level on my battery, I guess Microsoft should resolve this problem!
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 1:38 AM
  • Same problem here. 
    HP6710b...went from 3h to 1h after installing Win7 RTM (had 3h with Beta1 though)?! Same problems with Win2K8 server R2...so I thought that it was my laptop battery...was planning on buying a new one.
    I'm going to use Android live now! Better not damaged my battery! If so I'm joining a class action suit...sorry but win7 ultimate should not do that...where do I sign right now!? >(
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 7:37 AM
  • Same problem here, been using a LG P300 for the last year or so. Battery worked fine under Vista and Win7 RC1, but when i switched to Win7 RTM the time sunk by half. Hoping for a fix very soon indeed.
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 9:18 AM
  • Just as an FYI, I seem to be getting some improvement with repeated calibrations --

Initially, as already mentioned, powercfg /energy was reporting:

Design Capacity 48840
    Full Charge 15929

Now, after 3 full discharge/calibration cycles, I'm seeing:

Design Capacity 48840
    Full Charge 20912

That seems to me to be a pretty significant improvement, and leads me to hope that with repetition, I'll actually regain much if not all of the battery capacity.  Actual battery runtimes seem to have improved also, from around 45 min to around 1 hr (about inline with the seeming increase in full-charge capacity).

The full process I'm following is:

1. Charge battery fully to 100%
    2. Run on battery, with Hibernate set to occur at 10% charge.
    3. On hibernate, power into BIOS and discharge fully.
    4. Remove battery.
    5. Re-connect power.
    6. Resume windows.
    7. Reboot.
    8. Shutdown
    9. Replace battery
    10. Charge for 10+ min before booting
    11. Boot into Windows.

If nothing else, I'm back above the 40% threshold, and so I'm no longer getting the Red X/Consider replacing your battery warnings.

I can't say this will work for everyone, and don't know if the apparent improvement will continue or not, but since I use my laptop off-power for a while each day, I'm going to continue the cycle --- hopefully the improvement will continue!

FYI, my hardware/OS is:

Acer Aspire 5715Z, 3GB, 160GB; shipped with Vista Home Prem, running a cleanly-installed Win 7 Ultimate x64.  No Acer drivers installed.

-PJC

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 9:45 AM
  • I'm having the "consider replacing your battery issue as well"  I have an HP Pavilion dv2500 and I just replaced the battery about two months ago.  It has been seven months since this issue was reported and still no update has been made to fix this issue?  Any news about this yet?
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 1:10 PM
  • We are investigating this issue in conjunction with our hardware partners, which appears to be related to system firmware. We are working with our partners to determine the root cause and will update the forum with information and guidance as it becomes available.

If you are currently experiencing the message “Consider replacing your battery” using Windows 7, we would like to hear from you.  Please send an email to commod@microsoft.com and include your forum display name and contact information.

Important:  When you are composing the email, be sure to include the word BATTERY in the subject line.  In the body of the email, please include your forum display name, and the link to this thread.

Thanks for helping

Important:  Please note this is not a support email address, and sending this information does not guarantee that Microsoft will be contacting you for a follow up.  In e-mailing this address you are giving permission for Microsoft to contact you if it is determined that there is a need for further communication related to this issue.

Windows Client IT Pro Audience Manager for Web Forums

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 1:18 PM
  • I have an Acer Aspire 6290 and i got this a bit more than a year ago and had an average span of 2 hours. Now that I have installed 7, I get messages saying that my battery has been degraded and need to be replaced and shuts off the laptop in about 10 mins. Rolling back does not work either. I feel rip off! I wish that Microsoft would give me a refund for my battery of buy me a new one for the damage they have caused.
    I have only just registered to TechNet to report that I have this exact same problem!

I have an Acer Aspire 5920 (more details below), it is 1 year old came with Vista 32-bit and the battery would normally last about 2 hours 15 minutes. The battery life remained about this same level once I installed Windows 7 32-bit on it. But after a few weeks the battery is just crippled. It gives the message about this battery needs to be replaced. On a full charge, it lasts about 5-10 minutes before the laptop shuts itself. It doesn't put itself in hibernate mode, it shuts as if someones done manual shutdown (by pressing the boot button for a few seconds whilst laptop has been running). I have the newest BIOS, drivers.

I have tried to reinstall Windows 7 32-bit but I still get the same problem! It will cost £50 (I live in UK) to replace battery. I wonder how many people have actually replaced the battery when the problem was with Windows 7 all along? What a waste of money especially if you can't manage to return it to shop.

I do have another laptop Dell M1530 with Windows 7 32-bit which I bought in March 2008, this doesn't have any problems with battery and runs fine (newest BIOS, drivers).

My laptop:

Acer Aspire 5920
    4GB RAM
    Intel Dual Core 2.0
    250HDD
    ATI Mobility Radeon 3470

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 1:32 PM
  • I wish I had known about this problem before I replaced the battery in my ASUS eeePC 900 last month.  The replacement is already being reported as defective, even though it's only been through 2 charge cycles.  The machine came with Linux, but had occasional problems connecting to wireless networks.  I tried EasyPeasy and still had the problem.  So I tried Win7.  ***Big Mistake***  I am not pleased.

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 2:14 PM
  • Microsoft should be aware my brand new Lenovo Thinkpad SL410 started demanding I replace the battery even though the battery was performing normally. The demand seems to have stopped after I flashed the BIOS with a Lenovo Update. I haven't noticed any degradation of battery performance so far.
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 2:39 PM
  • I am having the same problem with my HP Pavilion dv7. It's a 17" laptop, so the battery will only last a few hours anyways, but as of late my battery life has been decreasing rapidly. I went from 4 hours on windows vista, to three on the Win 7 Beta, then down to about 30 minutes on the RC, and now that i have actually bought Win 7 i am down to about 20 minutes. As stated i have been with Win 7 since the Beta, and i love Win 7, but this issue is going to need to be solved very fast.
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 2:52 PM
  • my dell xps 1530 has being getting the error message to replace my battery. help me fix this defect Microsoft. ps you killed my zune last week too
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 3:06 PM
  • I am also having the same problem with my Dell Inspiron 1501.  I have the RTM installed and have not had time to install the full version that I purchased.  This is incredibly aggravating, as the battery is far out of warranty.  I wonder how a software error could negatively affect the hardware this much!?  Either way,  it will be interesting to see how Microsoft is going to handle this!
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 3:13 PM
  • Just saw this thread mentioned on Slashdot. Wow, I'm in the same boat here with a HP DV6600. In my case however my battery died as soon as I installed the RC. All this time I thought I'd done something to physically damage the battery but couldn't guess what it could be! Good thing I've procrastinated buying a replacement battery!! FIX this!!!
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 3:30 PM
  • My 12 Months old XPS M1330 behave exactly same..before upgrading to windows 7 i didnot see any problem with battery..after upgrading to windows 7 ultimate the problem started..it says 100% charged initially it used last for nearly an hour.. gradually it decreased to 20-30 mins and when i restart it wil show warning message to consider replacement of battery..its started in november and finally this month i called Dell and got replacement battery..now iam afraid that if problem still continues i have to buy new battery as warranty doesnt cover for battery..hope microsoft will comeup with fix before that..i dont want to spend 150$ on battery again (that was the quote given by dell)
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 3:33 PM
  • I have a friend with the exact same problem, right after installing Windows 7 the battery issue began and now the battery doesn't hold any charge longer than 10-20 minutes. Installing Linux didn't solve the problem, same instant shutdown after a few minutes.

Same problem after replacing the battery with a brand new.

Laptop: HP DV9500
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 4:11 PM
  • I have a friend with the exact same problem, right after installing Windows 7 the battery issue began and now the battery doesn't hold any charge longer than 10-20 minutes. Installing Linux didn't solve the problem, same instant shutdown after a few minutes.

Same problem after replacing the battery with a brand new.

Laptop: HP DV9500
    It seems that after Windows 7 has damaged your battery, it doesn't matter what OS you use.  The solution is, obviously, don't use Windows 7 at all.  Not even once, unless you're prepared to shell out money for a new battery.  What a shame.  I really liked Windows 7 but now I'm using Linux on my new laptop (with 2nd battery!).  I can't afford to buy a new laptop batteries all the time.
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 4:18 PM
  • I am having the same problem. my acer 8930G shuts down at %40 power. i installed windows 7 a few months ago. before with windows vista i would get a little over 2 hours and now i get less then 1. i have installed windows 7 again and upgraded all firmware with no result. i have yet to try any of these fixes on here but will be doing them all hoping for something.
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 4:45 PM
  • UPDATE
    Microsoft probes Windows 7 battery problems
    Users claim Windows 7 has ruined notebook batteries
    By Gregg Keizer
    February 3, 2010 06:00 AM ET

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9151098/Microsoft_probes_Windows_7_battery_problems?taxonomyId=125

now back to Vista, the problem still there.
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 4:53 PM
  • Story of my HP Machine:
    When I migrated from XP to Win 7 to BETA1, the battery backup reduced from 2hrs to merely 1hr. I believed this was due to the the heavy m230 Nvidia GPU (win7 doesnt support NVIDIA Powermizer) But very soon, all other OS installed on my laptop started getting lower backup.
    This didn't end here.

Recently I faced a very weird problem. A sudden voltage fluctuation (barely 30V more than normal) made my laptop to stop working. I dis-assembled everything upto the heatsink, reassembled, it worked. (Which I found later that BIOS reset alone cud have worked by removing 3v battery)

When it came back to life, Laptop battery was totally dead.  Laptop used to shutdown in split-second when power mains were disconnected. Also, it wont boot at all from battery, not even LED would blink. I thought Voltage spike killed the battery and planned to buy a new one.

After couple of days, battery came back to life but with reduced life. The same battery that used to give 1hrs, started giving me no more than 10 minutes. WTF!
    I tried Ubuntu, XP, everything, its all the same, max battery backup is 15 minutes.

Now I know, I'm not the only one.

WTF?
    -----
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 4:56 PM
  • Like all others, i too have a similar issue with my HP dv6810us laptop. All was well while using Vista (at least no battery related issues, who can say all's well while using Vista...LOL), until i decided to install win7. It worked fine for a few days and then i started seeing the "replace your battery" message. Now the charge has dropped from 1.5 hrs earlier to about 20 mins.... What a shame for MS and HP. Yes, the so called close partners. After the Vista fiasco, one would think that MS has learnt their lessons. I am certainly not happy at the moment.
    And if its a bug in the OS, what’s the guarantee that a new battery will work fine? I have been praising win7 all along but this issue has certainly left a sour taste in my mouth. Hope someone is reading these forum entries and doing something about it.  Any answers and remedies please????

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 5:33 PM
  • This does it for me.  After 20 years using Microsoft OSes, I'm moving to Linux... permanently.
    I just wiped Win 7 off my new Acer laptop and installed Ubuntu 9.10.  Everything works and the battery is showing normal capacity.
    Goodbye Microsoft.  I gave you lots of chances but I refuse to be abused any longer.
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 5:46 PM
  • Nothing to add but another data point.  HP DV9500 W7/x64

Design Capacity 88800
    Last Full Charge 24154
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 6:07 PM
  • WINDOWS 7 Kills my Brand New Sony VAIO battery! Full charge last night; 27 minutes later the battery died. Wow thanks Microsoft! Try removing some of your annoying bloat-ware, too. 
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 6:16 PM
  • Same problem here :( I'm running Windows 7 64bit with all the latest updates on my LG P300.
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 6:23 PM
  • Same problem:
    - HP Pavilion DV2000
    - Windows 7 Clean Install
    - Battery replaced 2 weeks ago because this annoying message. Result: Brand new battery shows 100% charged in 15 minutes. Totally discharged after 10 min of regular use.

Big question is:  Will the damaged batteries to be fixed with the suposed coming update?
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 6:35 PM
  • I am having a similar issue, my Dell Studio 17 use to charge to 100%. In the past few weeks I have watched my full charge capacity drop to 57%. This only started happening after I upgraded to win7 from vista. M$ DO SOMETHING QUICK!
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 6:49 PM
  • My Medion Akoya 97470 has the same Problem. What a fxxk!! Microsoft fix this issue fast!!
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 6:56 PM
  • <HTML> <BODY>
    Same problem! I can't believe this. I thought all this time it was a problem with the battery.
    It was working just fine then all of the sudden, around the 1st or 2nd week in October 09, it wouldn't hold a long charge and I got the error. I was wondering what I did! Just last week I bought 2 new batteries and have only had a chance to test each one once, but I'll be traveling a lot very soon.

If it wasn't for an article on arstechnica I would have never known about this issue.

Windows 7 RC Evaluation Copy. Build 7100 32 bit
    Originally installed with Vista (horrible)
    Acer Extensa 5620-4025 (5620z) 
    Intel Pentium Dual CPU T2370 @ 1.73 GHz
    Ram: 1GB
    Battery Model: TM00741
    Rating: 11.1V 4400mAh
    Charging Current: 3.52A
    Li-ion
    P/N: LIP6242ACPC
    Bios: Phoenix TrestedCore Setup Utility System
    Bios Version: V1.32
    </BODY></HTML>
    • Edited by Mnementh Wednesday, February 03, 2010 7:22 PM Formatting
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 7:18 PM
  • Unbelievable! It is Feb 2010, so this issue is already 8 month old and no fix from MS?
    Wake-up, MS! What are waiting for ? Avalanche of dead batteries and class action lawsuit?
    Now, that would be dumb, would it not?

-----
    HP dv2000t, 1.5 years old battery dead in one month after installing win7 home 64 bit.
    It was working for 1.5 hours on vista pro 32 bit just a month ago.
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 7:35 PM
  • I've got the same problem but showing up slightly different on two Toshiba Laptops...

On a Tecra A2 the battery just doesn't last as long as before but there are no error messages,
    On a Satellite Pro L20 I get the replace battery athough it seems to last a bit longer than the Tecra...
    Both are Celeron M 1.5Ghz Machines..

Oddest thing is Windows 7 Running under VMware Fusion on a Mac Book Pro detects the status of the MAC Battery OK VM ware does eat the power but Windows matches the MAC statistics.

Microsoft always seem slow to react to user problems and complaints about their OS's look how long it took to fix the Vista Network Problems.

I hope they sort it soon as it does perform better than Vista and I want to upgrade the Wife's Laptop but I dare not if there are problems I wont be able to cope with the ear ache. 
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 8:09 PM
  • Finally, after 7 months of trying to get the word out, writing to different news websites, posting in different forums, contacting different people, its good to see all these sites finally write about this issue.

Now, hopefully Microsoft will realize that this is a serious issue and come up with a fix ASAP!

Heh. I just found my original post, which led me to post at Microsoft TechNet. So, I really tried to notify Microsoft back in June 4, 2009.
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7hardware/thread/bfee1417-57ff-40e8-8288-29e3e14fb5e6

• Edited by DanLee81 Wednesday, February 03, 2010 9:28 PM
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 8:48 PM
  • Thank you all for your input. I just got a new laptop two weeks (came with win 7 64) ago and couldn't figure out why the heck the battery was dying in under an hour. Spent a few hours with HP support to now avail - as expected. From what I can tell this is wide spread. I have posted the news links to the articles on my facebook suggesting people do their research if they are concerned. Maybe this will help put even more pressure on MSoft and their partners.

Jrp65
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 9:18 PM
  • So, I have completed recharging my battery.  I now have a red X and the "Consider replacing your battery" message. I downloaded the Battery Care software utility. The results: Design=48840 mWh; Current=19036 mWh. Where did all my capacity go? I cannot (don't wish to) go back to Vista to see if all this goes away. But, I can only conclude that WIN7 has stolen my battery capacity.
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 9:32 PM
  • So, I have just completed recharging the battery on my Gateway M-6823. I now have a red X and the "Consider replacing your battery" message. I downloaded the Battery Care software. The results: Design=48840 mWh; Current=19036 mWh. Where did all my capacity go? I cannot (don't wish to) go back to Vista to see if all this goes away. But, I can only conclude that WIN7 has stolen my battery capacity. Did I mention that I almost never use my laptop on battery only mode?
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 9:37 PM
  • Hello. I had the same problem in my new Compaq cq60-300ew. After 2 months with windos7 rc my battery was demaged. There was no way to fix it. I must contact the customer support. They can't help me, so i must buy a new battery. :( Now i have Linux and everything is ok. But i lost battery and money!
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 10:14 PM
  • When I first got my new battery for my Hp dv2500 it lasted 2 and a half hrs, then 2 weeks after the purchase of the new battery Windows 7 (which I installed cleanly erasing Windows Vista) prompted me that I should consider replacing my battery.  My battery life went down drastically, now my battery last 35 minutes, yesterday it was lasting 55 minutes.  Battery's are expensive, we cough up the money to purchase replacements due to a faulty Windows Operating System.  The time to turn to Apple is creeping closer and closer to me,  especially when battery's are 60 bucks a pop and I don't plan on dishing out money to buy battery's like candy.  What's the point of having a portable laptop with a battery if the battery doesn't last enough time to get any work done?  <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!-- Session data--></input> <input id="jsProxy" onclick="jsCall();" type="hidden" />
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 10:32 PM
  • I have a Dell XPS 1330 Laptop and I've been running Win7 x64 RTM Build 7100 since Aug of 2009. Last month I hit the same battery problems described here and eventually my battery life dropped to ~40mins. I thought it was just me so I bit the bullet bought a new battery. Hopefully MS fixes this so I can salvage the old battery and not nuke this one!
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 10:46 PM
  • What would be helpful would be if one of the laptop vendors who market a model which appears to be affected, would take two new identical systems, install Vista on one and Win 7 on the other, and perform a structured controlled test (with a powercfg report) to see what's actually happening. Then they could provide that data to Microsoft along with sample systems so that the Win 7 team could reproduce the issue and determine a course of action. Without being able to reproduce it in this manner, it could be quite a challenge to resolve. Is anyone aware if any of the vendors have actually done this? If so please provide me with the vendor, vendor's contact info and details of the test which they performed.

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 10:47 PM
  • Samsung SA11

Before 7: 2h 30min

Now: 45min + "Consider replacing your battery" message

What's going on?

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 11:08 PM
  • I stumbled upon this and I’m sorry to say that I’m experiencing the same problem.

When on A/C, the battery shows as 100% Fully Charged (hovering over the tray icon).

I ran powercfg –energy and got:

Battery:Battery Information

Battery ID 2550SMPDELL D55517

Manufacturer SMP

Serial Number 2550

Chemistry LION

Long Term 1

Design Capacity 79920

Last Full Charge 45366 (which is only 57% of design capacity)

To answer the questions from Mark Russinovich from MS (earlier in the thread):

1)      I upgraded from Vista Ultimate (32-bit) to Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit)

2)      I have a Dell M6300 purchased in October of 2007. The system is on A/C most of the time, but I could get 2.5 to 3 hours on battery prior to upgrading to Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit). Now the battery seems to drain as expected and shows around 80+% after roughly 30 minutes of use, but then suddenly up pops a warning that the battery is at 7% and within a few seconds the system powers down.

3)      I’ve pasted the latest entry from the System Event Log below:

Log Name:      System

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power

Date:          20/01/2010 5:16:34 PM

Event ID:      42

Task Category: (64)

Level:         Information

Keywords:      (4)

User:          N/A

Computer:      DellM6300

Description:

The system is entering sleep.

Sleep Reason: Battery

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 11:25 PM
  • Keep up the pressure troops. HP DV9000 here, just upgraded(?) from Vista to Win 7 Ultimate and got the identical battery problem you all have encountered. I've pulled the battery out and am running it as a desktop thanks to all your posts. Nearly eight months you all have been at it - don't let up! I noticed one other item that occured in my Device Manager - don't know if it's related, but now under Other Devices I get two Base System Device listings exclamation mark. With the battery out I also get the red X No Battery detected. When my battery was in for the short period after the install, it read 100% charged, consider replacing your battery. Starting to think Redmond's not paying much other than lip service. Cheers
    The light at the end of the tunnel may be a train heading towards you!
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 11:31 PM
  • My new "4 hour" Sony Vaio NW270F (came with Win7) indicates a max of 2 hours no matter how aggressive the power saving options and the radio off - or on.
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 2:18 AM
  • ZDnet posted an article today on the issue http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=7149

I find myself checking here every day to see if anything has been resolved
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 2:36 AM
  • Thursday, February 04, 2010 3:52 AM
  • me 2 experiencing same problem... new acer aspire 5536... initially gave 2.5+ hours...sudden fall to 15 min...

Thursday, February 04, 2010 4:21 AM
  • Hello there,

I have a 2 and a half year old Dell Latitude D830 which I upgraded in January 2009 to Vista Business from XP. Didn't like the stabilty of Vista so I was pleased to install Windows 7 when it was introduced.

So about last 6 months I am working on the Windows 7 Enterprise (Dutch version 64bit) and saw that the battery life of my laptop has degraded to the level that it can't keep power up for more then 10 minutes right now. Even in december 2009 it took about half an hour. So it's has been getting worse.

I know that my laptop is not new but I have a 6 year old Latitude D800 with XP prof. which can still run on a battery for more than an hour.

Last week I asked my boss if I could order a new battery but after reading this forum I'm not so sure that this will solve the problem.

If this is a Windows 7 problem than I hope that Microsoft wil solve this problem soon and then offcourse pay for my new battery.

Regards,

Ron
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 8:58 AM
  • I have a Hp2810US 14.1" and appears de same message problem "Consider replacing your battery", the equipment is buy 1,5 years old and de battery was perfect pre-win seven.
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 10:10 AM
  • Eu estou tento o mesmo problema. Após instalar o Windows 7 e usar por uns 2 meses, ele começou a apresentar avisor que a bateria precisava ser substituida. Agora a bateria não suporta 5 minutos. (I'm trying the same problem. After installing Windows 7 and use for a 2 months, he began to show Avisor that the battery needed to be replaced. Now the battery does not support 5 minutes.)
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 10:59 AM
  • new dell, same sh*tt xps 1330 at first had no problems, but after second re-install in december win7 just gets half an hour or so, so it just sits on a powercord now. just installed win 7 on 1530 and this one also gets only half an hour, with vista more than two hours. nice to hear that MS "cares" and started to investigate this, although problems have been up for a while already :P
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 12:31 PM
  • I have same problem, my IBM thinkpad t62 not loading with batteries. When I take the battery out, windows starts
    The battery was original and it was 3 moths.

Windows 7 RTM -

PS Windows finished its trial time on that day
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 2:22 PM
  • nothing new to add... Similar battery problems as everyone else posting here... Dell inspiron 1525, year and a half old...was running vista32 and battery was lasting 2 plus hours. A few months ago i upgraded to windows 7 and the following day the battery life had dropped to 15 minutes. Confused a bit, but I assumed the battery wearing out and the windows 7 install were just coincidental...I bought a replacement battery a few weeks ago and have only needed to use it once or twice and keep it uninstalled.  Came across this forum a few days ago  and now have a much clearer understanding as to what happened, but now don't know how to proceed
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 3:19 PM
  • Maybe is not only a Windows 7 problem. According to this article, there is a similar problem in  Mac OS Snow Leopard:

Thursday, February 04, 2010 4:29 PM
  • I had just read on an article from EWeek about people reporting that they were having issues with the battery life on Windows 7. Well I had isses with my Dell Inspirion 1501 which is running Windows 7. Use to have Windows Vista and I had decided to upgrade it to Windows 7 once had gotten the word on getting it at a discount if your a college student. It was working fine at first then I started having issues with it just shutting off on me for no reason. I had a Dell Tech come out and he ended up replacing my motherboard and heatsink. I also found out with his visit that the new 9 CELL battery I bought six months ago is no longer working and it would not even hold or take a charge anymore. I had gotten a replacement battery and so far things are working fine. Just wanted to report my issue. If there is any further questions please contact me at phillyitalian88@hotmail.com.

Thank you,
    D. Bryant Lonsinger
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 5:35 PM
  • Happens on my LG R405 laptop too. I installed a clean win7 just a week ago. Is the damage to the battery permanent already? Damn! What can i do to prevent more damage until there is a fix?
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 6:46 PM
  • My PC had the simalar prob my acer aspire 5100 3gb ram turion 64x2 1.6gz I upgraded from xp to windows 7 now I only have 15 mins untill it shuts down somtimes even less time and it goes into hibernation and in xp Id always have alot longer time than that if tried everything iv been reashearching and teasting things for days I got every origanal driver back and everything and it still saysconsider replacing battery and only like 10 mins of battery life this is awefull!!!!!!!!!! microsoft hurry up and fix this!!!!!!!!1 ARRHHH this is so annouything
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 8:27 PM
  • Design Capacity 47520
    Last Full Charge 17831
    Last Full Charge (%) 37

I have an hp 6730s laptop. Less than 1 year old, kept plugged in most of time. I am told my battery is 78% worn out. it obviously can't be after less than a year. 

Thursday, February 04, 2010 9:19 PM
  • Just found the topic, I have the very same problem with my Acer Travelmate 5530G. My battery lasted for approximately 2 hrs few months ago, now after 15 minutes Win7 wants to hibernate because it reached critical battery level.

Battery ID  31661SONY CorpCONIS41
      Design Capacity  48840
      Last Full Charge  14265
      Last Full Charge (%)  30

This extreme degradation happened in the last few months, since I started to use Win7 Professional with MDSNAA.
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 9:39 PM
  • Hi

Just for the record - I have a Dell XPS M1710 and Inspiron 6400 before Win 7 we used XP - all was fine

after Win 7 x64 both immediately had the battery life error.

As I had not seen anything during the Betas I thought that it was coincidental bad luck!

So I went back to Dell and the guy told me it was normal and I’d have to buy two new batteries. Which I did!!!!

It’s only know that I’m starting to read articles suggesting that there may be a battery life bug and MS is investigating

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/windows_7/microsoft_says_windows_7_battery_life_investigation_underway.html

Poor show in a RTM when this wasn’t happening in the Betas!!!

Does that mean that when the bug is realised someone will compensate me for 2 battery purchases that were not necessary!???

Friday, February 05, 2010 8:28 AM
  • My HP DV5-1095EO doesn't charge full anymore only fo 80% with Win7 and it goes down very quicly,but not battery problem.  With Vista Nao problemo.
    Friday, February 05, 2010 9:19 AM
  • what I also found on my HP dv2000t after using command utility
    powercfg /energy
    is that timer resolution is 100ns instead of 56 ms in battery mode due to audio driver (it is in report).
    Looks like there is a lot of polling going on, which could drain the battery much faster.
    Faster discharge means more charge cycles, which obviously shortens battery life.
    Friday, February 05, 2010 8:30 PM
  • still the same problem in germany with the battery....

just about to write an email to microsoft right now...hopw they r fixing it soon

its in german haha sorry for that

Energyreport:

Energieeffizienzdiagnose-Bericht

Computername

FABIAN-LAPTOP

Überprüfungszeit

2010-01-23T13:21:44Z

Überprüfungsdauer

60 Sekunden

Systemhersteller

MEDION

Systemproduktname

WAM2030

BIOS-Datum

03/19/2007

BIOS-Version

R01-B0F

Betriebssystembuild

Plattformrolle

PlatformRoleMobile

Netzbetrieb

true

Prozessanzahl

Threadanzahl

Berichts-GUID

{8a091aa8-c274-4769-991e-ed5294639de8}

Akku:Letzte vollständige Aufladung (%)

Bei der letzten vollständigen Aufladung des Akkus wurden weniger als 40 % der vorgesehenen Akkukapazität erreicht.

Akku-ID

17126FOX-SON-66WIS_MB1X

Vorgesehene Akkukapazität

Letzte vollständige Aufladung

Letzte vollständige Aufladung (%)

Akku:Akkuinformationen

Akku-ID

17126FOX-SON-66WIS_MB1X

Hersteller

FOX-SON-66

Seriennummer

Chemie

LION

Langfristig

Vorgesehene Akkukapazität

Letzte vollständige Aufladung

Friday, February 05, 2010 9:44 PM
  • i have asked acer and their customer support is almost nothing.
    acer will not help any with this. they might ask  you to send i your laptop but i doubt they have a solution.
    Friday, February 05, 2010 9:57 PM
  • This is actually the second time i have posted here. I post again because i have a new development in the life of my battery. I have been running Windows 7 since the first public beta. I now have a full, purchased version of windows 7. My battery life was 30 minutes earlier today. But within the past hour windows 7 has popped up several taskbar notifications saying that my max battery life is now "X%", in fact in the course of typing this message my maximum battery life has decreased by 2% and a windows just popped up that said "Plug in or Find another Power source, your battery life is low, 7%" - i am currently plugged in, so windows 7 now refuses to believe the fact that i am plugged in b/c my battery life is DECREASING, even though i am plugged in. I also believe that my battery is permanently damaged. I tried booting into Kubuntu yesterday and i recieve the same low battery life.

If i have to go out and buy another $80 battery for my laptop i will be enourmously, undescribably angry. If my warranty does not cover this then i will be calling microsoft right away to demand a new battery, i am not spending $80 dollars on something that Microsoft screwed up for me. I need this laptop, there is alot of data that i NEED to have EVERY day in here, and a flash drive just won't cut it. By the way, my max battery life is now 5%, looks like i only have a few minutes left with this laptop.
    Sunday, February 07, 2010 5:37 AM
  • Surely you guys have read the new post about the battery problem http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/530fb25c-6239-4a40-93c5-309dcee030e6
    Sunday, February 07, 2010 5:45 AM
  • Got the same problem in the last month or so on 2 different laptops. 

1) Lenovo (IBM) x61s type 7669-27G memory upgraded from 1GB to 4GB.
    2) HP Dv7 1130ev.

The Lenovo is just under 2.5 years old now so I didn't think much when the message came up. The HP is a year old.
    Both laptops came pre-installed with Vista Business 32-bit and both we're upgraded to 7 Professional 64-bit around 6 months ago.

Sunday, February 07, 2010 9:25 AM
  • Surely you guys have read the new post about the battery problem http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/530fb25c-6239-4a40-93c5-309dcee030e6
    I'm sure many of us have read it.  I certainly did, and have emailed the address given there, but as yet received no response (other than an initial out-of-office autoresponder - lol).

Note that the post there references this thread for discussion, though.

Maybe Dan could edit his first post to include that link and/or the email address given there - that could be useful.

Meantime, for discussion, as that post itself says, this is the place.

Oh - and - after another discharge cycle, I'm at:

Battery:Battery Information
    Battery ID SANYO GC86508SAT0
    Manufacturer SANYO
    Serial Number  
    Chemistry Lion
    Long Term 1
    Design Capacity 48840
    Last Full Charge 21467
    Sunday, February 07, 2010 9:47 AM
  • I have the same problem. I'm using Dell Latitude E6500.

At first, I lost half of battery's capasity almost instantly. I thought my battery was gone bad, but when I changed battery, I still got about 50% of it's real capacity, I even trien with Dell 9-cell high capasity battery with same results. Original battery is totally gone now, it does'n give more than one hour running time on different computer but fortunately those other batterys didn't get ruined because I used them for so little time.

It seems that a few rechaging cycles will ruin the battery on Windows 7. I really hope someone finds the cure!
    Sunday, February 07, 2010 3:11 PM
  • Same problem with

ID de batterie 00001 FUJITSU SIEMENS AMILO Xi 1526
    Fabricant FUJITSU SIEMENS
    Numéro de série 00001
    Composition chimique LiON
    Long terme 1
    Capacité théorique 4400
    Dernier rechargement complet 2325

Only after update from XP to Win7 (was working fine with WinXP)
    Sunday, February 07, 2010 5:56 PM
  • I saw the PCMag link stating that it was a limited problem only. Is there anyway that we can compile our details (a single focus list/group) so that Microsoft can have a list of people who have been affected? I doubt if they will go down all the forum entries Just a thought... it might help in their solution seeking...
    Sunday, February 07, 2010 7:02 PM

• Same here:
    Acer Aspire 5100
    Windows 7 Enterprise - clean install

My notebook came originally with Vista Home Premium, uninstalled right away. Worked great with XP Professional for one year. After installing Windows 7 from scratch I didn’t notice anything strange but after ~10 days my battery wear level changed from 5% to 91%. After that, tried all tricks I found for recalibrating the battery and it didn't change the battery longevity. After starting and shutting windows down without any battery in the notebook, and letting it full discharge from BIOS password prompt and letting it fully charge from the same place, my wear level changed to 0% and my battery now reports 750,000 MaH (duh) of capacity but windows still hibernates with less than five minutes. No Windows update left behind. Computer completely clean with Office, AV and a few other programs I need for work.

Guilherme
    Sunday, February 07, 2010 7:21 PM
  • Add me to the list of many with Windows 7 battery life. Sure hope Microsoft fixes this.
    Sunday, February 07, 2010 10:54 PM
  • +1 Here too. HP Pavilion dv2000. So sad that they are dragging their feet on this one.
    Sunday, February 07, 2010 11:29 PM
  • to continue my entry, My HP Pavillion dv2500 special edition's battery now no longer displays the "consider replacing your battery message" it had been plagued with, but I still notice the significant loss in battery life.  This battery is a few month old and I'm lucky to get 30-40 minutes out of it in power saver mode.  Did they figure out why the message occurred? Or did any of you folks have this happened to you? 
    Monday, February 08, 2010 2:05 AM
  • Another one here..
    My HP Pavilion dv5-1235la got the same problem a few days ago, I updated from Vista to 7 3 or 4 months ago

We are waiting for a fix Microsoft! And we want it NOW!
    Monday, February 08, 2010 2:54 AM
  • How I fixed my "consider replacing your battery". 1) Adjust all setting in your power scheme to minimize actions when the battery is low. (turn off all sleep or hibernate commands and reduce all warnings to 0 or 1 minute). 2) Run the following command: To change the 'Battery->Critical battery action->'On battery' setting to "Do nothing" using powercfg.exe 1. activate the power scheme you want to modify. 2. open an elevated command console (windows key, type 'cmd' in start menu, press "ctrl+shift+enter", click 'continue') 3. execute "powercfg -setdcvalueindex SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_BATTERY BATACTIONCRIT 0" 4. your current power scheme will show "Battery->Critical battery action->On battery: Do nothing" despite the option being unavailable in the drop box. 3) Run your laptop until it dies...your pc will fully crash. Then fully recharge and run until it dies again. This will recalibrate your battery. Because Windows 7 automatically shuts down your PC when it thinks the battery is low, it never recalibrates. You have to stop if from sleeping or hibernating all together to get the battery to recalibrate. I went from 66% battery wear to 0.0% overnight.
    Monday, February 08, 2010 4:15 AM
  • Add my Dell D620 here.

Its gone from around 1.5hrs, to 15 minutes. It worked fine under windows xp. Never had any issues. Now its complaining that it cant detect the battery. Even the bios shows up the battery is missing. 

I can still run the system on battery power, and I can get 15-30 minutes depending on what I am doing.

I hope MS can fix the issue soon and bring the battery back into its original state. I will be very annoyed if I'm required to buy another battery for their screw up!
    Monday, February 08, 2010 6:01 AM
  • Might as well add myself to the list. Last charge was 22% i am lucky to get 20mins out of mine. Let it run down via bios screen then charged with netbook powered off and same again. No joy at all i think the battery is destined for the bin. (So much for been Green) I was thinking of rolling back to xp or vista but from what i read here there is no change. Mine is an EEEPC1000h running the current bios which has been released by ASUS for windows 7 I will be suprised if they can salvage our batteries.
    Monday, February 08, 2010 10:06 AM
  •  The X mark over the battery really irritates. i don't know whether it will  effect the battery performance but it gets me furious whenever i see it. 

So please get this problem fixed Microsoft.
    Monday, February 08, 2010 12:05 PM
  • For those with the issue, try running this script: http://withinwindows.com/hosted/BatteryChk_rev0.zip

thanks for the prank.
    Monday, February 08, 2010 5:12 PM
  • I uninstalled win7 from my notebook and installed back vista before I put in new battery.
    8 months passed and Microsoft did nothing. Now they are playing it down and blame BIOS?
    My dv2000t notebook is 3 years old and HP is not gonna issue new bios or win7 support for it, no way.
    Monday, February 08, 2010 5:51 PM
  • I uninstalled win7 from my notebook and installed back vista before I put in new battery.
    8 months passed and Microsoft did nothing. Now they are playing it down and blame BIOS?
    My dv2000t notebook is 3 years old and HP is not gonna issue new bios or win7 support for it, no way.

there may be "hope" for you. i don't believe that the bios is the root of the fault. i did a quick lookup for some of the notebooks affected here in this thread which in my opinion were reasonably affected by this error and not because they had a faulty battery in first place. some of the machines have award bios', some others have phoenix bios'. then consider the variety of really different machines and configurations - amd and intel cpu based, integrated and dedicated graphics and a variety of different audio and wifi cards. i don't see any connection between these machines.
    Monday, February 08, 2010 6:50 PM
  • For those with the issue, try running this script: http://withinwindows.com/hosted/BatteryChk_rev0.zip

My battery  is full for Windows, and i applied this patch :
    With my Fujitsu Siemens AMILO Xi1526,
    The result is :

IMPI Battery Information ------

Battery Health: [==     ] (15/100)
       Purchase a new battery, you cheapskate

Does it mean that Windows full the battery to only 15% and thinks that it is totaly full ?
    Monday, February 08, 2010 7:18 PM

My battery  is full for Windows, and i applied this patch :
    With my Fujitsu Siemens AMILO Xi1526,
    The result is :

IMPI Battery Information ------

Battery Health: [==     ] (15/100)
       Purchase a new battery, you cheapskate

Does it mean that Windows full the battery to only 15% and thinks that it is totaly full ?

LOL. it does mean that the author of this script (rafael) tries to fool people. it's a prank, really.
    Monday, February 08, 2010 7:30 PM
  • Vince, it was a joke :)
    Monday, February 08, 2010 7:31 PM
  • This situation is not any easy one to run down.  I have Win 7 on a Dell E1705 (Intel chipset), a Dell 1501 (AMD chipset), and an Asus Eee PC 1000HE (Intel chipset) and NONE of them are erroneous reporting the battery need to be replaced.  I have had Win 7 on all three for about 1 year now.  The Dell E1705 is about 4 years old, the Dell 1501 is about 3 years old, and the Asus Eee PC 1000HE is just over a year old.  So it's really hard to say where the problem lies.
    Monday, February 08, 2010 7:33 PM
  • I was receiving the replace your battery message on my Dell D830 laptop.  I ordered a replacement main battery and module bay aux battery.  Running now with both batteries, I still have my system shutdown unexpectedly.  Sometimes I've got a spurious low power warning and I checked the Win7 power meter.  There I see for a minute or so that the primary batter shows as not connected and it only sees the power of the auxiliary battery.  I think the system has been shutting down unexpectedly because periodically the OS battery meter loses its reading of the main battery.

--Steve

Tuesday, February 09, 2010 12:15 AM
  • O.K. In addition to the issues discussed above, in the last 2-3 weeks I discovered another severe problem with my HP Pavilion dv5. My nb suddenly goes OFF (when on AC Power).  I mean NOT hybernating, NO sleep, NOT overheating, NO powersaving, NOT a scheduled task shutdown, NO viruses or malware even NO remote shutdown. Simply BANG! and OFF.
    If anybody can confirm the same issue, please reply.
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 12:25 AM
  • I would like to add to this conversation, that I am an owner of a Dell Latitude 6400 with a 9-cell battery. My battery offered near 9-hours of battery life max, today (a year and 4 month old) I have about 5 hours of battery life. Which is very nice! But wait! My battery wear level is bellow 60%, this is enough to have Windows 7 believing that my battery needs replacement as my system might shutdown in the next 5 hours. Now I don't care about the message as is, if at least it showed me the remaining time.

As a workaround, I am using a gadget which tells me my battery life, it clutters my desktop, and I don't like it.. but i have no choice.

I think, Microsoft should based it's warning not a wear level but max battery time instead.
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 3:52 AM
  • Hello everyone, 

I am having the same problem in my toshiba satellite L series laptop. I have tried lots of different solutions but I seem to have no luck. And like most people my battery dies within 20 minutes. Can anyone come up with a creative solution?

Thank yOu
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 5:10 AM
  • Hello everyone, 

I am having the same problem in my toshiba satellite L series laptop. I have tried lots of different solutions but I seem to have no luck. And like most people my battery dies within 20 minutes. Can anyone come up with a creative solution?

Thank yOu

One Word - Mac
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 5:43 AM
  • **READ THIS** Microsoft IS looking for your battery problems. Having read the post (link below) I sent my e-mail yesterday and this morning I received a personal mail from a Microsoft guy who wanted a series of questions answering in relation to the problem. Follow the steps and e-mail your details to their contact. Here is the link http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/530fb25c-6239-4a40-93c5-309dcee030e6/ Regards M
    • Edited by Mantari Tuesday, February 09, 2010 8:58 AM added words
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 8:56 AM

• UPDATE

ENGADGET

Microsoft says Windows 7 battery 'issue' isn't one
    By Paul Miller posted Feb 8th 2010 5:38PM

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/08/microsoft-says-windows-7-battery-issue-isnt-one/

CNET

Microsoft denies Windows 7 battery problem
    February 8, 2010 1:30 PM PST

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10449395-56.html
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 10:03 AM
  • I think the solution is DO NOT USE WINDOWS 7 on notebooks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 10:14 AM
  • I love Windows 7 on my desktop... however my notebook, a Dell Inspiron 1501 is not happy with it because of this wonderful battery issue :(.
    I am running the 32-bit MSDN RTM version on the notebook. While my battery is a bit old, I don't think it's THAT old. Windows XP x64 ran just fine before I decided to upgrade. This might not be an issue for MICROSOFT but it is an issue for ME, user of their products.
    Hope they fix it :(.
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 10:27 AM
  • While the computer is on, and Design Capacity is = 0, and you unplug the AC, plug it back in, and Design Capacity changes from 0 to "Unknown", THEN the "Consider replacing your bettery" message appears. Yes, this is a brand new battery, and yes I've tried multiple BRAND NEW batteries. Same result. Microsoft needs to address this scenario (when the computer is running, and the battery characteristics of Design Capacity change from 0 to unknown, it will throw the "Consider replacing your battery" exception).
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 2:40 PM
  • Here's some "collateral damage" from all of this.  I contacted my Gateway technical service to see if they had any ideas.  I was told bluntly that Gateway was not providing new drivers for "selected models" using Windows 7.  Of course, mine is one of those "selected".  It is only three years old!  I was told my only option was to revert to the OS that came with the lap top.  So, go back to Vista? Keep Win7 and hope for a Microsoft solution?  Get a new lap top?  What fun options!
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 3:35 PM
  • I can completely verify that when "Design Capacity" is "Unknown", Windows 7 will still report "Consider replacing your battery" and display the blinking red X on the battery icon, and have that "Your computer may shut down suddenly" message. Pat [MSFT] stated that Unknown = "-1". Unknown in my case is a big number. It always starts with a 7. The time I'm writing this, BattCursor states Design Capacity as Unknown, and powercfg -energy reports Design Capacity as 701348. This number is not the same all the time. I've seen powercfg -energy report 705004 and throw the "consider replacing your battery" message and the red X, but when powercfg -energy reports Design Capacity as 0, the battery messages will not show up. Therefore, UNKNOWN_CAPACITY under the variable "Design Capacity" can have different values other than "-1".
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 5:25 PM
  • How I fixed my "consider replacing your battery". 1) Adjust all setting in your power scheme to minimize actions when the battery is low. (turn off all sleep or hibernate commands and reduce all warnings to 0 or 1 minute). 2) Run the following command: To change the 'Battery->Critical battery action->'On battery' setting to "Do nothing" using powercfg.exe 1. activate the power scheme you want to modify. 2. open an elevated command console (windows key, type 'cmd' in start menu, press "ctrl+shift+enter", click 'continue') 3. execute "powercfg -setdcvalueindex SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_BATTERY BATACTIONCRIT 0" 4. your current power scheme will show "Battery->Critical battery action->On battery: Do nothing" despite the option being unavailable in the drop box. 3) Run your laptop until it dies...your pc will fully crash. Then fully recharge and run until it dies again. This will recalibrate your battery. Because Windows 7 automatically shuts down your PC when it thinks the battery is low, it never recalibrates. You have to stop if from sleeping or hibernating all together to get the battery to recalibrate. I went from 66% battery wear to 0.0% overnight.
    I just wanted to report that I seem to have had some measure of success with this suggestion. My battery went from 10 minutes of usable off-AC power to nearly 45 minutes after doing this. I'll be interested in seeing if/how quickly it deteriorates from this point forward. I really do think DanLee81 is onto something with his theories.
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 6:09 PM
  • I am also having the same problem with my Dell Inspiron 1501.  I have the RTM installed and have not had time to install the full version that I purchased.  This is incredibly aggravating, as the battery is far out of warranty.  I wonder how a software error could negatively affect the hardware this much!?  Either way,  it will be interesting to see how Microsoft is going to handle this!

I have Win 7 on my Dell Inspiron 1501 and it has a longer run time on battery than it did with Win XP.
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 6:09 PM
  • I love Windows 7 on my desktop... however my notebook, a Dell Inspiron 1501 is not happy with it because of this wonderful battery issue :(.
    I am running the 32-bit MSDN RTM version on the notebook. While my battery is a bit old, I don't think it's THAT old. Windows XP x64 ran just fine before I decided to upgrade. This might not be an issue for MICROSOFT but it is an issue for ME, user of their products.
    Hope they fix it :(.

I have Win 7 on my Dell Inspiron 1501 and it has a longer run time on battery than it did with Win XP.
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 6:10 PM
  • I have the same error on my Asus F5VL 3 years old.
    Never any problem with Vista, bus as soon as I installed Win 7, I got the battery error.
    I downgraded to Vista, same error occurred. Same warning in Vista. Steven Sinofsky said, that in Vista such warning doesn't exist.
    He's wrong! I updated the BIOS, didn't fix the problem.
    Sometimes Vista displayed the correct batterycharge. When I continue working on batterypower, I can work as long as usual.
    Thus my battery is good, and Win 7 is causing a big problem.
    Steven Sinofsky must consider  this fact and not deny that there is a bug in Win 7.

Tuesday, February 09, 2010 6:21 PM
  • Count me as being impacted too.  I have an Acer 5610.  Replaced my battery 6 months ago.  I was on Vista until November 2009.  I was getting about 2.5 hours battery usage.  Upgraded to Win7 in November and my battery life has been decreasing rapidly.  Started getting the consider replacing battery error about 2 weeks ago and now I get about 35 mins of use on battery.
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 10:07 PM
    I just wanted to report that I seem to have had some measure of success with this suggestion. My battery went from 10 minutes of usable off-AC power to nearly 45 minutes after doing this. I'll be interested in seeing if/how quickly it deteriorates from this point forward. I really do think DanLee81 is onto something with his theories.

Well, the joy was short-lived. Back to 10 minutes of battery life.
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 10:21 PM
  • Same problems here. My girlfriends Acer wont charge, has a red cross on battery and says it needs replacing, lasts about 2 mins without a.c. Works fine if I boot up xp. Also have just upgraded a new hp pavilion dv6000 to 7 from vista, on which it was working fine. It said the battery was fully charged, i unplugged the power and got about 5 mins on battery and it died. When i started up again on mains power it said the battery was empty. This is ridiculous, they have to address this, surely. Its not good enough to bury their heads in the sand and claim its all hardware issues as reported on cnet earlier.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 1:43 AM
  • I am in the same boat. Here's my experience.

Updated to Win 7 two months ago from Vista Pro. I'm operating an Acer Aspire 5515. Within 24 hours of installation, I got the dreaded "battery error" icon. Within approx. one month of use, my battery life went from about 2 hours to about 10 minutes. 

Out of curiosity, I went into BIOS and let the battery run down to see if it was indeed Windows that was causing the problem. The battery depleted in BIOS in 12 minutes-- only slightly longer than normal. 

Upon restarting Windows, the error icon had gone away. I no longer am displaying the red "X". However, I now have a new set of similar problems. 
    My battery either shows "0%" charged or "100%" charged-- nothing in between. It "charges" for about 30 seconds upon plug-in, then says it's 100% about an hour later. It never shows anything in between 0 and 100, and even at 100, I still get my 10 minutes of battery life. 

I am so annoyed with this. I don't know what's wrong, but this is a newer computer and the battery is FINE (correction :WAS fine.). My boyfriend seems to think it's because the BIOS needs to be updated, and that Win 7 was the only Windows version that was "smart enough" to catch it. However, this unit is less than a year old-- no reason whatsoever the battery should be dead. 

I refuse to believe that my battery was dead prior to this-- it obviously wasn't, as none of yours were either. The big question now is "who the heck is going to buy me a new battery?" Or at least fix my old one?

Ugh.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 4:18 AM
  • On my notebook i've reinstalled Windows Vista with no problem anymore ,until Microsoft doesn't solve this big problem..
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 8:34 AM
  • I can completely verify that when "Design Capacity" is "Unknown", Windows 7 will still report "Consider replacing your battery" and display the blinking red X on the battery icon, and have that "Your computer may shut down suddenly" message. Pat [MSFT] stated that Unknown = "-1". Unknown in my case is a big number. It always starts with a 7. The time I'm writing this, BattCursor states Design Capacity as Unknown, and powercfg -energy reports Design Capacity as 701348. This number is not the same all the time. I've seen powercfg -energy report 705004 and throw the "consider replacing your battery" message and the red X, but when powercfg -energy reports Design Capacity as 0, the battery messages will not show up. Therefore, UNKNOWN_CAPACITY under the variable "Design Capacity" can have different values other than "-1".
    Hello DanLee81,

I have been reviewing your posts to this TechNet forum regarding your battery issue. We here at Microsoft would very much like to get a much closer look at your specific system and your accompanying batteries to see if we can root cause what is going on with your laptop, as we are unable to repro the behavior on matching hardware. I have recently reviewed our formal support cases and it does not appear that you have contacted us via our support channel as I was unable to find a case having system details matching yours.

I would like to request that you please contact me at our Windows Partner Ecosystem alias WPE@microsoft.com and we can discuss how best to arrange getting us access your system.

Likewise, for others posting to this thread with battery issues, please contact our support.microsoft.com Customer Support so that we can gather more insight into the specific details of what you are seeing.

Regards,
    Chris
    (Microsoft)

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 10:55 AM
  • DanLee81 - I seem to have the same set up as you do. (LG Xnote R500, 6 cell LI-ION battery,T7500 2.2 GHz Intel Core2Duo processor, 500GB Seagate 7200RPM HD, 4GB RAM
    Nvidia 8600m GT with the LCD resolution at 1680x1050). I was experiencing the "consider replacing your battery" error until a couple of days ago
    , when this changed to "0%, plugged in, not charging". I had previously thought that this was simply a problem with the display icon for the battery, but after looking into this latest development with my battery/icon and coming across this thread, now suspect that there is more to it.

I initially e-mailed 'commod@microsoft.com' as requested earlier in this thread a couple of days ago. I will now contact 'support@microsoft.com' as requested by WPE_Chris of Microsoft. Hopefully, you will be able to contact him as he requested at 'WPE@microsoft.com' so the issue can be investigated and resolved.

You're miles ahead of me in terms of looking into this issue, and hopefully Microsoft will work with you and find a solution for everyone, but as we have exactly the same set up please feel free to ping me at 'LGR50020@ymail.com'.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 2:45 PM

Well, the joy was short-lived. Back to 10 minutes of battery life.

Update: I do indeed seem to have had some success regaining some battery life with this method on non-OEM battery. (Rayovac replacement bought at Batteries Plus.) I've now got 45 minutes running in performance mode unplugged, which is not bad at all for this machine.

I've ordered a new HP-branded battery and will put it through the above routine and see how much time I can manage with that.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 4:29 PM
  • I have 2 Toshiba Satellite R20s.  My wifes has Windows Vista, mine just loaded with Win7.  Both were bought at the same time and roughly the same usuage.  I have the battery problem everyone else has been talking about.  I bought 2 brand new batteries direct from Toshiba to test out the problem.  Gues what, in two weeks of use my battery is dying and the energy report shows only ~15% chargeable.  Wife's is completely fine and almost 100% chargeable according to the energy report.  I find it hard to believe that Windows 7 is not the problem when this many people have the same issue and have repeatedly tested with new batteries and systems.  Sorry, naysayers, there aren't that many fluked up batteries and systems that it is just coincidence.  Funny how microsoft "officially" acknowledged the issue a week ago and said they will look into it and then a few days later say they have been testing for a month and its not a Windows 7 problem. 
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 4:34 PM
  • I've tried all the fixes with recalibrating battery, changing the powerschemes, bio, audio firmware, swapping out and reconditioning in other devices, voodoo, etc...

The strange thing is this...

My battery is about 8 months old up until about 2 weeks ago had 3 hours of life watched tons of DVDS on it unplugged.  Now i get 10 - 12 minutes tops. So, i set power scheme to shutdown at 1% off batter life and it does after a full charge. Full charge only takes about 20 minutes.

So, then the computer shutdowns, i try restarting using power button no go...

So, then i plug in power cord and boot up it takes about 1 minute to reach desktop...battery shows 3% charge...

I then unplug the power cord and it is running on battery, it should turn itself off immediately no????

no, it's been running as i'm typing this for more than 30 minutes!!!! on 1% power

come on MSFT, yeh i'm a woman and have no clue what i'm doing, but this is ridiculous!!!!
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 5:00 PM
  • Can everyone please try this.

Run the computer down to 1% battery life so it shutdowns.

try restarting the computer with power button, it shouldn't start

plug-in power cord and press powerbutton

as it is starting up before getting to desktop remove cord

please post how long your computer runs on 0% power.

So far it's been about 33 minutes at 0% power!!!

i'll post again when it dies.

no, boyz it's not plugged in and isn't on a powermat and no it's not running on methanol or anything like that.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 5:06 PM
  • I have the same problem in my HP dv2622ca.. I hope they do something about this.. I have a 12 cell battery and it lasts like from 1hr to 1 and a half..
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 8:16 PM
  • Well Microsoft have been in touch with me and have been very helpful although I will have to report back about weather there has been any resolution. I was asked to run Msdt.exe and type in a support code which downloaded a kind of script I've not seen before. It offered to adjust some power and registry settings and increase the size of my hibernation file which I allowed it to do. It then uploaded a report back to MS (with my permission).
    I'm going to reboot now and see over the next couple of days weather my issues are resolved.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 8:48 PM
  • If you just upgraded and are reading this thread just like me.... go back to Vista or XP ASAP... in less then 2 days with Windows 7 my battery capacity has been cut in half!!!

I went back to vista now have 57 minutes on full charge... when 2 days ago i had 2 hours on full charge...

Windows 7 is def over/under charging causing damage the battery...

This sucks
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 9:04 PM

no, boyz it's not plugged in and isn't on a powermat and no it's not running on methanol or anything like that.

I really believe that if you try this... may help kill your battery faster.. i have no scientific reasoning behind it. Just a good ol gut feeling.  from the many threads all over the internet on this issue.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 9:19 PM
  • I'd value your opinion guys as I've just bought a Samsung N140 with 250gb and W7. Not yet opened the box. Would you recommend I swap this for N140 with 160gb and XP Home? Anyone had N140 W7 battery issues??
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 9:21 PM
  • if it works fine out of the box... it should be ok... alot of these people are people that have upgraded...

you should be ok
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 9:29 PM
  • I've tried all the fixes with recalibrating battery, changing the powerschemes, bio, audio firmware, swapping out and reconditioning in other devices, voodoo, etc...

The strange thing is this...

My battery is about 8 months old up until about 2 weeks ago had 3 hours of life watched tons of DVDS on it unplugged.  Now i get 10 - 12 minutes tops. So, i set power scheme to shutdown at 1% off batter life and it does after a full charge. Full charge only takes about 20 minutes.

So, then the computer shutdowns, i try restarting using power button no go...

So, then i plug in power cord and boot up it takes about 1 minute to reach desktop...battery shows 3% charge...

I then unplug the power cord and it is running on battery, it should turn itself off immediately no????

no, it's been running as i'm typing this for more than 30 minutes!!!! on 1% power

come on MSFT, yeh i'm a woman and have no clue what i'm doing, but this is ridiculous!!!!
    Debbie--

Mine does this as well. I believe it is part of the problem. I've somehow removed the warning "X" from the battery, but I believe that my battery has sustained permanent damage due to Windows 7. After I let my battery drain in BIOS, I too had the 1% status and ran the computer for about 10 minutes. This is not normal. It is because Windows is not properly communicating with the battery. I've noticed a correlation in the battery meter depending on where my computer is in regards to low-battery-induced shut down:

When I restart my computer with AC after a low-battery shut down, it will read 0% and claim that it is charging. 
    When I restart my computer after the supposed "charging", it will say 100% charged (even if it's five minutes after it said 0 %). 
    When I unplug the computer with a 100% charge to see how long the battery will last, it drops to 99%. This does not change and the computer will eventually                                 exhaust the charge (whatever it really is) and shut down despite it's "99%" status. 

When I first ran Windows after I depleted the battery, it ran on that 1%. I haven't seen a 1% charge status since then. 

This is a bigger problem, perhaps, than was originally suspected. At first I thought it was just the warning, but it appears now that my actual battery is useless. 

Debbie, I would advise you not to let your battery run down anymore until this is resolved. Each time it is depleted, it appears to sustain more damage. My battery went from a 1.5 - 2 hour charge to a 10 minute charge over the course of approx. 30 days and 3-4 cycles. This is astounding. I would recommend, if possible, that you remove your battery until a fix is issued to prevent it from being irreparably damaged. 

It is possible, however, that the batteries aren't physically damaged, but that Windows is simply reporting that they are, thus causing them not to charge due to a security mechanism that works like a kill switch (prevents fires/melting etc. ). 

I suppose we'll know more as this situation develops. Hopefully we'll figure out a fix. We didn't spend hundreds of dollars on Windows 7 only to have to spend another hundred (or more) on a new battery (that may not even solve the problem). 

JMO.  
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 9:50 PM
  • After reading Sinofsky's blog:

http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2010/02/08/windows-7-battery-notification-messages.aspx

I trusted him and Microsoft when he said that Windows 7 cannot write to the EEPROM of the battery or affect it in any way, "...the hardware platform and firmware provide a number of read-only fields that describe the battery and its status."

BOY WAS I WRONG! So, as posted before, with my new battery, I started to charge it while NOT in Windows 7, (ubuntu, or the machine TOTALLY OFF). The battery's total capacity was 55,721. As you can see in my posts following that, where after reading this article, I started to charge WITHIN Windows 7. Big mistake. I charged my battery five times from yesterday until this afternoon, all within Windows 7. My total capacity KEPT FALLING! Here are the numbers:

55,721 mW -> 55,451 -> 55,043 -> 55,046 -> 54,653 -> 54,462 mW.

THIS is where I draw the line. Microsoft needs to do something about the issue. I CAN'T afford to buy new batteries anymore! So, there DEFINITELY is an issue! Microsoft has to look into this and fix it, but not at my expense anymore. I have formatted my laptop and went back to Vista for the time being. I've sent screenshots of my desktop to microsoft clearly displaying the "consider replacing your battery" error messages, and the red X on the icon, so they have sufficient information. I am not about to waste another battery, but I fear, that the damage is already done, since the battery life is deteriorating. Almost 1,200 mW IN ONE DAY that I can't ever get back!

Microsoft, please fix this issue!
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 10:55 PM
  • I'm thinking class action. Sorry Microsoft, but this is happening with multiple computer brands and it's not a coincidence. We spent good money for big promises with 7 only to have to shell out more money to buy batteries-- and even that doesn't help. 

I'd like a fix, and I'd like a new battery once that fix is issued. This problem has permanently killed (apparently) our batteries. Come on-- I expect better from MS. 
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 11:47 PM
  • if it works fine out of the box... it should be ok... alot of these people are people that have upgraded...

you should be ok
    uhuh .. . same issue with an install of w7 : the same on my laptop, 50% of battery lost in 2 months ...
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 12:48 AM
  • I'd value your opinion guys as I've just bought a Samsung N140 with 250gb and W7. Not yet opened the box. Would you recommend I swap this for N140 with 160gb and XP Home? Anyone had N140 W7 battery issues??
    Only one advice : S W A P !!!!!! I have a multiboot Linux - w7 and in use of w7 for 3 days about on 2 months, 50% of battery lost No issue with Linux : laptop 10 months old. Escape w7 faster or you will have to change of battery every 3-months period at your own money - N O T W A R R A N T E D by samsung or other manufacturor in this case !!!! Issue comes from w7 !!!
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 1:35 AM

Ok I tried this command "powercfg -setdcvalueindex SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_BATTERY BATACTIONCRIT 0" as recommended by MS Tech and one of the other members.  What happened was that my battery indicator reached 0% but I still lasted for another 22 minutes before the laptop powered off.

I then tried what Debbie suggested and I was able to boot into Windows 7 and lasted for another 6 minutes with "0%" battery strength.

One thing I did notice though was that my last full charge values increased from 5210 to 11366.  Somehow, this draining of the battery allowed it to reset a tiny percentage so that Windows (and Battery Bar) reports better values.

Waiting to see what to do next.

LoboTiger
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 3:09 AM
  • Hello TechNet subscribers;

My name is Chris and I am an engineer at Microsoft investigating the battery issues reported on this forum.  I had previously posted in this forum requesting contact from several of you with unexplained behavior related to the new “Consider replacing your battery” warning contact me. We have been in contact with a number of you and as a result we continue to work with our hardware partners on these reports and attempt to find reproducible issues or root causes.

Many of the postings on this forum are from users reporting they have a single battery which is no longer performing effectively on Windows 7.   In this scenario, the prescribed solution would be to contact your hardware manufacturer if your system is under warranty or buy a new genuine battery for your system.  We continue to see cases of systems with degraded batteries, which are remedied by a new healthy battery. 

There are also a smaller number of reported cases, including posts by ‘raulr2’, ‘jfsevy’, ‘patel33’, ‘gat0rjay’ above (part 1 and part 6), which still report underperforming batteries even after replacement with a new battery.  In these cases, I would very much appreciate you contacting me at WPE@microsoft.com so we can get more details about your situation.  In our investigations, we have now seen a couple cases where replacement batteries (ordered new) have an older manufacturing date, sometimes even older than the original failed battery.   As part of our analysis, we would like to confirm that a healthy battery remedies these systems as well.

Additionally, a recent post by ‘mzz1s6’ (in part 7) is likely to be a function of a system set to an extraordinarily high hibernation threshold, which tells the OS to hibernate when the battery has a large portion of its charge still remaining.  Please contact me at WPE@microsoft.com so I can gather more information.  Users should look to ensure their system hibernate value is something reasonable like 5-10% of battery life with a healthy battery.

My team is currently not aware of any support cases where a battery replacement with a known good battery did not resolve the reported battery health issues.  I would encourage any new posters who feel they have a situation related to battery health that is not covered by the above situations to visit support.microsoft.com.to get information on how to contact Microsoft assisted support.

Thanks,

Chris [MSFT]

Thursday, February 25, 2010 12:30 AM
  • Notice: THIS THREAD HAS BEEN LOCKED!

Windows Client IT Pro Audience Manager for Web Forums

This conversation continues onto Part 2.

The last thread in the conversation is Part 11.

If you have not already done so, please review the troubleshoot battery problems article and the consider replacing your battery article. For tips to conserve battery power please review the Conserving battery power article.

Thursday, February 25, 2010 12:40 AM