none
ATI Radeon Xpress 200M Drivers

Question

• Hi everyone, I have a Toshiba Satellite M50 laptop and am running Windows 7 Ultimate, and have the ATI Radeon Xpress 200M graphics card. I used the initial 8.31 Vista driver and upgraded to the 8.561 beta driver for Windows 7, through the Microsoft Update Catalog. As this is now a legacy card, I have downloaded and tried the 8.671 driver (in the Catalyst 9.11 package) from the ATI website and this did not work, only installing updates to the CCC. I don't care about the Catalyst Control Center, and am only after the driver itself.

Since the drivers on the ATI website are in the form of an .exe package, I cannot get a hold of the appropriate .inf file for the graphics card. I was wondering if it were indeed possible to obtain a newer version than 8.561 of the graphics driver, by way of .inf file or not? I would be very grateful for any help or insight into this.

Hardware IDs in Device Manager for my card is:

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5A62&SUBSYS_FF001179&REV_00
    PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5A62&SUBSYS_FF001179
    PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5A62&CC_030000
    PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5A62&CC_0300

Compatible IDs:

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5A62&REV_00
    PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5A62
    PCI\VEN_1002&CC_030000
    PCI\VEN_1002&CC_0300
    PCI\VEN_1002
    PCI\CC_030000
    PCI\CC_0300

Friday, January 01, 2010 4:32 AM

Answers

• Microsoft does not write the drivers for 3rd party hardware, the manufacturer and/or the vendor is solely responsible for their drivers.

There are some drivers in the Windows Update Catalog that are listed as being Win 7 compatible.  All these drivers have been supplied to Microsoft by ATI.

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/ScopedViewInline.aspx?updateid=5b56c341-02a7-490e-aba1-488b7f5cd28b is for one that was published 12/01/2008.

Since the above driver is listed in the Windows Update Catalog it should have been loaded automatically when you open Windows Update or do a search for drivers from within the Properties of the 200M. 
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, January 11, 2010 2:36 AM
    Friday, January 01, 2010 5:15 PM
  • Hi blastoise,

As you may noticed, the latest driver for your display card is only for Windows Vista on the manufacturer's website. It seems there is no newer driver is published. Therefore, I think the most suitable driver is provided by Windows Update which is version 8.561.0.0. Please see HERE. You can also contact Toshiba directly to confirm this issue.

Besides, does the driver you installed work properly? If not, could you please provide the error message listed in Device Manager?

1. Click the Start Button, type Device Manager in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.

2. Double click to expand the "Display adapter"

3. Right click the display card and click "Properties".

Regards,

Linda

Monday, January 04, 2010 7:44 AM

All replies

• Microsoft does not write the drivers for 3rd party hardware, the manufacturer and/or the vendor is solely responsible for their drivers.

There are some drivers in the Windows Update Catalog that are listed as being Win 7 compatible.  All these drivers have been supplied to Microsoft by ATI.

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/ScopedViewInline.aspx?updateid=5b56c341-02a7-490e-aba1-488b7f5cd28b is for one that was published 12/01/2008.

Since the above driver is listed in the Windows Update Catalog it should have been loaded automatically when you open Windows Update or do a search for drivers from within the Properties of the 200M. 
    Friday, January 01, 2010 5:15 PM
  • Thanks for that Rick Dee, yeah I have already installed that 8.561 driver you linked to long ago. I was just wondering if anyone here knew of any other places where I could look that may provide an update newer than 8.561. I am well aware that Microsoft does not write the drivers for 3rd party hardware. Just was wondering if anyone had any other ideas of where I could find newer drivers.

Thanks so much for your help though.
    Saturday, January 02, 2010 10:27 AM
  • Try the device manager and use that to search for new drivers. It might find something better.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe

Server: ASRock P4-2GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, Linux Server, need IDE/SATA disks for my chess site

Workstation: Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, Athlon64 X2 4200+ 65W CPU, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA 8600GT, 320GB + 160G backup, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
    Saturday, January 02, 2010 6:45 PM
  • Thanks, but (as I expected), it didn't find anything =(.
    Sunday, January 03, 2010 6:22 AM
  • Hi blastoise,

As you may noticed, the latest driver for your display card is only for Windows Vista on the manufacturer's website. It seems there is no newer driver is published. Therefore, I think the most suitable driver is provided by Windows Update which is version 8.561.0.0. Please see HERE. You can also contact Toshiba directly to confirm this issue.

Besides, does the driver you installed work properly? If not, could you please provide the error message listed in Device Manager?

1. Click the Start Button, type Device Manager in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.

2. Double click to expand the "Display adapter"

3. Right click the display card and click "Properties".

Regards,

Linda

Monday, January 04, 2010 7:44 AM
  • Thanks Linda,

Yes I know that it is only Windows Vista. I was just asking if ATI had indeed released an update since the 8.561 before they archived it as a legacy card and stopped development of drivers for the card. In case possible newer versions had bug fixes/improved stability etc.

I am not experiencing any problems with the 8.561 driver at all, the initial Vista driver I had 8.31 had numerous problems. R300 errors etc. But 8.561 plays real nice. 

As I've said, just wondering if there is indeed a newer version than 8.561, if anyone has seen it or got their hands on it, thats all.

Many thanks for your help.
    Monday, January 04, 2010 11:46 AM
  • There's drivers published in August 2009 @ http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/9-8/Pages/radeonaiw_vista32.aspx?&lang=English

The display driver is listed seperately, but it doesn't give a driver version number.
    Monday, January 04, 2010 1:41 PM
  • Thanks Rick Dee, but have already tried that lot and the 9.11 drivers too. Won't install cos I think it doesn't have the driver ID for my card in the .inf file. So only installs a newer version of Catalyst Install Manager over the old one.

Thanks for trying though :)
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 2:17 PM
  • Hi everyone, I have been doing a bit more reading and was wondering if I use Mobility Modder tool, will this work in me being able to install newer drivers through the Catalyst 9.11/9.12 suites? I'm not after the Catalyst Control Center but the actual drivers themselves.
    Thursday, January 07, 2010 7:55 AM
  • According to what I read on their website, http://www.hardwareheaven.com/modtool.php , it would seem that it should work.  Use the directions for Vista if you're going to try this.
    Thursday, January 07, 2010 1:20 PM
  • I'm looking into it now, I tried it with the 9.8 release and it didn't work, so am trying to see if it will work with the 9.11 modified.
    Friday, January 08, 2010 4:59 AM
  • I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but it seems to be the most recent thread on this topic.

I found a solution (for me at least) !

I found in one of these threads that the 200 and 200m are based on the X300 hardware.  Just to try, I tried the drivers (included in Windows7) for the "Radeon Xpress x300/somethingelse/somethingelse" and they worked!  Just go to Device Manager, go to your graphics chip (mine was listed as a generic VGA card), double click on it, go to Driver -> Update Driver -> Browse my computer -> Choose from a List -> Untick the box for compatible hardware -> Choose ATI on the left -> Find "Radeon X300/[some-other-models]", click OK/next, ignore the waring about compatible hardware/software, then restart your computer when prompted.

My computer is an HP Pavilion Slimline s7525a running 32bit Windows 7.  It went from a score of 1.0 for both graphics scores in the Experience Index with the generic drivers, to about 2.6 for both with the X300 driver.  Aero works with the new driver, because it supports WDDM whereas the generic one didn't.  If this works for anyone else, please reply.

Thanks,

-Adrian

• Edited by TheRobberDotCom Monday, January 03, 2011 1:28 AM added Aero note
    • Proposed as answer by Redge1989 Thursday, January 06, 2011 1:11 PM
    Monday, January 03, 2011 1:26 AM
  • Older AMD video chips drivers are now on the Windows DVD, the drivers are basic but that is all most need.

Elected! Your votes and support have got me my 2010 MVP!

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Monday, January 03, 2011 1:49 AM
  • "I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but it seems to be the most recent thread on this topic. I found a solution (for me at least) ! I found in one of these threads that the 200 and 200m are based on the X300 hardware. Just to try, I tried the drivers (included in Windows7) for the "Radeon Xpress x300/somethingelse/somethingelse" and they worked! Just go to Device Manager, go to your graphics chip (mine was listed as a generic VGA card), double click on it, go to Driver -> Update Driver -> Browse my computer -> Choose from a List -> Untick the box for compatible hardware -> Choose ATI on the left -> Find "Radeon X300/[some-other-models]", click OK/next, ignore the waring about compatible hardware/software, then restart your computer when prompted. My computer is an HP Pavilion Slimline s7525a running 32bit Windows 7. It went from a score of 1.0 for both graphics scores in the Experience Index with the generic drivers, to about 2.6 for both with the X300 driver. Aero works with the new driver, because it supports WDDM whereas the generic one didn't. If this works for anyone else, please reply." Brilliant fixed a acer aspire 3660! And it works Thanx
    Thursday, January 06, 2011 1:11 PM
  • I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but it seems to be the most recent thread on this topic.

I found a solution (for me at least) !

I found in one of these threads that the 200 and 200m are based on the X300 hardware.  Just to try, I tried the drivers (included in Windows7) for the "Radeon Xpress x300/somethingelse/somethingelse" and they worked!  Just go to Device Manager, go to your graphics chip (mine was listed as a generic VGA card), double click on it, go to Driver -> Update Driver -> Browse my computer -> Choose from a List -> Untick the box for compatible hardware -> Choose ATI on the left -> Find "Radeon X300/[some-other-models]", click OK/next, ignore the waring about compatible hardware/software, then restart your computer when prompted.

My computer is an HP Pavilion Slimline s7525a running 32bit Windows 7.  It went from a score of 1.0 for both graphics scores in the Experience Index with the generic drivers, to about 2.6 for both with the X300 driver.  Aero works with the new driver, because it supports WDDM whereas the generic one didn't.  If this works for anyone else, please reply.

Thanks,

-Adrian

thank you SOOOO Much for this!  I was going nuts looking for Win7 drivers on my old compaq R4000.  I can't believe how well Windows 7 is running on this almost 6 year old laptop.  The display resolution was driving me nuts with the generic VGA.  now all is good.  Thanks to this post.  :)

Thanks again.

Saturday, March 12, 2011 7:42 PM
  • Using Windows 7 on such an old machine is not the best idea on the planet.

You might want to consider a new machine.

I recently procured a netbook and it works fine with the vendor supplied WIndows 7.

My MVP is for the Windows Desktop Experience, i.e. Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT

I am best with C++ and I am learning C# using Visual Studio 2010

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Saturday, March 12, 2011 8:16 PM
  • Using Windows 7 on such an old machine is not the best idea on the planet.

You might want to consider a new machine.

.  .  .  .

That's what you always say, Fanatic.  Spend some more money on it.
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 9:45 PM
  • Lots of old video cards, motherboards etc have long ago been orphaned.

What do you want, run Windows 7 on a 8088?

My MVP is for the Windows Desktop Experience, i.e. Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT

I am best with C++ and I am learning C# using Visual Studio 2010

Sunday, March 13, 2011 9:51 PM