none
DVD/CD-ROM drive not working

Question

• My DVD/CD-ROM drive isn't working.

I went to Control Panel\System\Device Manager and under DVD/CD-ROM drives, right clicked on

TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-L632D ATA Device, selected properties and under the "Device status" field, it states 

" This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available."

Please provide any info that can help me fix this. Thanks.

( My operating system is Windows Vista Home Premium if this helps)

Monday, September 01, 2008 10:36 PM

Answers

•  

This behavior can be caused by the incompatible third party filter drivers. Please follow the steps to remove filter drivers and reload the driver of the CD drive.

Delete filter driver
    =====================

1. Click "Start", in the Start Search box type "regedit" and press Enter. 
    2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right click on "Class", click "Export"; please name the file as "RegBackup" (without quotation marks) and then save it to the C:\ drive as a backup.

Note: In case we need to undo the modification, we can double click this RegBackup.reg file to restore the registry key.

4. Highlight this key, on the right pane, check if the "Upperfilters" and "Lowerfilters" values are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

After deleting filter drivers, please reload the drivers.

Reinstall driver
    =====================

1. Click "Start", in the Start Search box type "devmgmt.msc" and press "Enter".
    2. Expand "DVD/CDROM Drives".
    3. Right click the listed DVD/CD-ROM, and click "Uninstall". Please uninstall all devices.
    4. Restart the computer.

The drivers will be loaded automatically.

Is the issue resolved?

Otherwise, this behavior may be caused by software confliction. If the issue persists, please try to uninstall all of the burning programs, such as Nero, Roxio, 123 Copy DVD, etc.

Hope it helps.

Thursday, September 04, 2008 1:39 AM

All replies

• I am unfamilar with the drive you are speaking of...However that error message usually indicates that the wrong driver, or no driver is installed for that device.

I would recommend either calling your PC manuf, or the manuf of that drive if you build your own system/purchased a different drive and had it installed after the PC left the depot. OR visiting their website to obtain the proper driver for the device. So for example if it happens to be a Dell PC, or a LG DVD Drive, you'd call or visit Dell's website or LG's to obtain the correct driver.

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 2:03 AM
  •  

This behavior can be caused by the incompatible third party filter drivers. Please follow the steps to remove filter drivers and reload the driver of the CD drive.

Delete filter driver
    =====================

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right click on "Class", click "Export"; please name the file as "RegBackup" (without quotation marks) and then save it to the C:\ drive as a backup.

Note: In case we need to undo the modification, we can double click this RegBackup.reg file to restore the registry key.

4. Highlight this key, on the right pane, check if the "Upperfilters" and "Lowerfilters" values are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

Reinstall driver
    =====================

3. Right click the listed DVD/CD-ROM, and click "Uninstall". Please uninstall all devices.
    4. Restart the computer.

Is the issue resolved?

Otherwise, this behavior may be caused by software confliction. If the issue persists, please try to uninstall all of the burning programs, such as Nero, Roxio, 123 Copy DVD, etc.

Hope it helps.

Thursday, September 04, 2008 1:39 AM
  • What if I do not have an "upper filter"?  I will list what I have listed in that file; THE DASHES --  REPRESENT A DIFFERENT COLUMN:

NAME, TYPE, DATA

1. (DEFAULT) -- REG_SZ -- DVD/CDROM DRIVES
    2. Class -- REG_SZ -- CDROM
    3. ClassDescription -- REG_SZ -- @%SystemRoot\System32\StorProp.dll,-17001
    4. EnumPropPages32 -- REG_SZ  -- StorProp.dll,DVDClassInstaller
    5. LowerFilters -- REG_MULTI_SZ -- PfcPxHelp20
    6. NoInstallClass -- REG_SZ -- 1
    7. SilentInstall -- Reg_SZ -- 1

So, as you can see, there is no specific identification for an "upper filter". 

Do I just delete the lower filter & leave the remainder alone?

Thanks

"Dazey"

Thursday, October 02, 2008 5:36 AM
  • Hi Dazey,

Yes, just remove the LowerFilters and then reload the driver for DVD drive.

Related steps please check the last post.

If there is any question, please feel free to let me know.

Friday, October 03, 2008 9:45 AM
  •  

TY Arthur,  your info  fixed my  problem perfectly
    Sunday, October 05, 2008 6:36 AM
  • Mr. Cyberwolf I really appreciate your instructions to resolve this matter, you were very helpful. Thanks.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 3:33 AM
  • I HATE my computer and I'm begining to hate vista!  This same thing happened to me and I think it's because I called help and they told me to fix another problem by uninstalling some drivers.  Now my cd rom doesn't work, my camera doesn't work and the screen saver doesn't work!  Who knows what else doesn't work but I haven't figgure it out.  And the fan is CONSTANTLY running!  ERRR!

Saturday, November 01, 2008 5:41 AM
  • Thank you soooo much! You're instructions worked very well.

Monday, November 03, 2008 6:00 PM
  • I have encountered this problem for some months now, only I run XP SP 2 on DELL Optiplex.  I have searched DELL for an updated driver to no avail so thought I would give your recommendations a go, they work !!!!!

The only problem is that Device Manger still instists that I do not have a DVD-CD ROM drive so nothing new there.

If anyone can assist me in where I can locate a driver update for this drive would be grateful, WINDOWS has failed as have DELL.

I would think you solution is worth trying, what else can go wrong?

Many thanks from me, it has caused me hours of surfing.

• Proposed as answer by angiemcg40 Tuesday, July 12, 2011 5:06 PM
    Saturday, November 15, 2008 12:07 AM
  • I found your answer and it worked and is the best help I have ever received.  I think the driver was corrupted when I downloaded itunes so I could burn a book from an audible subscription.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 9:26 PM
  • Thanks A X;

By using your guides I was able to have my DVD/CD ROM working again after I tried everything else. My problem was : the computer could not load driver for DVD/CD device because the driver was missing or corrupt ( Code 39 ) and I am using XP home ed.

Once again THANK YOU ! Please keep up the good work.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 12:43 PM
  •  

This fixed my problem. Thank you!
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 11:01 PM
  • Hi Arthur,

I right cliced on "class", but only things I see are "modify" and "modify binary data"...

I don't see any export. 

What should I do?

Also, it has a yellow triangle on "Optiarc DVD RW AD-7563A ATA Device" under "DVD/CD-ROM drives".

My DVD/CD-ROM drive can't read any audio CDs and DVDs.

Please help me!

Thanks.

Okju
    Friday, November 28, 2008 8:40 PM
  • I have to add my thanks as well.  Uninstalled iTunes and it seems to have corrupted the driver.  More likely it re-instated an old and incompatible driver.  Followed your directions and it is not working like a charm.

Cheers.

Thursday, December 04, 2008 9:53 AM
  • Authur XIE,

I would like to say THANK YOU so much for your advice, it worked like a charm. I was at my wits end going through the manuel trying to run test after test. If i have any more problems, I will definatly look up your advice in the forums.

Happy Holidays to you and your Family

Hope G.
    Oak point, TX

Thursday, December 18, 2008 8:40 PM
  • Arthur Xie said:

Delete filter driver
    =====================

Reinstall driver
    =====================

4. Restart the computer.

Is the issue resolved?

Hope it helps.

Thursday, December 18, 2008 8:41 PM
  • Thank you so much!  I had the same problem as posted by nguyendiep and it worked perfectly.
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 2:40 AM
  • Hi, I deleted the filter driver, but had a problem when I went to reinstall the driver.  When I got to devmgmt.msc, there was no 'DVD/CDROM Drives' to expand, so I couldn't complete the process.  Please help!
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 9:59 PM
  • Dear Arthur Xie 

I need your help,I did everything you said but how do I reload the drivers 

Thank you,tiffany
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 1:12 AM
  • Hi,

You may reboot first, then check if the issue is resolved. If not, follow the step to reload the drivers.

4. Restart the computer.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Wednesday, April 01, 2009 8:30 AM
  • Click Start
    Collapse this imageExpand this image
    , and then click All Programs.
    Click Accessories, and then click Run.
    Type regedit, and then click OK.
    Collapse this imageExpand this image
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
    In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 8.
    On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
    In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content cannot help you any further. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.
    On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
    Exit Registry Editor.
    Restart the computer.

Try update the firm ware it the above steps not worked http://www.cdfreaks.com/software/

Thanks.

Arun

Arun
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 2:47 AM
  • ive been having the same problem but when i follow your steps i get all the way to right clicking on class but the export option never comes up! all i get is to Modify, Modify Binary Data, delete or rename! ive been so frustrated and trying to find answeres everywhere but nothing seems to work! please help me!
    Sunday, November 01, 2009 5:52 PM
  • Dude, Just delete the upper and lower filter and don't worry about the export option. Once you delete them, you can just restart the computer and it works like a charm.

Arthur Xie is the man.....thanks a lot bro

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 3:42 AM
  • Thanks so much c2p I was trying to do the other option and it was'nt working. I tried your way and it worked...It was awesome. My drive is working. My question now is, how do I avoid that happening again.

Thanks again

Diane

Sunday, July 25, 2010 2:32 AM
  • it works for me thanks so much!! :)

Thursday, August 26, 2010 10:24 PM
  • Arthur Xie, YOU ARE THE MAN!!!! Thank you very much, I've reset my computer to the factory settings twice, and nothing would fix it. Thank you again you've really helped me out. God Bless You. 
    Friday, October 15, 2010 8:52 AM
  • my cd rom drive isnt working, i know it may sound like the issue another person had with it i go to device manager and it says Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38) what should i do to fix it? its a TSSTcorpDVD+-RW TS-H653B ATA device.
    Monday, November 01, 2010 7:37 PM
  • Ok, what if you only have upper filters and no lower in Vista Ultimate. Also i have a new local drive Q that just appeared recently.  I'm lost, lol
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 9:16 PM
  • When I go to the Device Manager, it doesn't show that I have "DVD/CD-ROM Drives".

What do I do?

• Proposed as answer by angiemcg40 Tuesday, July 12, 2011 5:13 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by angiemcg40 Tuesday, July 12, 2011 5:13 PM
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 2:21 AM
  • Please help I'm having the same issue. I have windows 7. DVD/CD-ROM Drive is not showing up in the device manager.
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 12:51 AM
  • Your answer worked great.  Thank you for posting this.  Installed Windows 7, and had CD-Rom problems but it fixed now.
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 5:28 PM
  • Thanks.my problem has been resolved.
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:34 AM
  • THANK YOU.  It worked.  I'm SOO grateful.  I'm not a techy, and I've always been afraid of messing with the registry, so I stupidly thought your file-path was the whole key.  Duh.  Finally figured it out and it went super-smooth and quick.  THank you that I didn't have to buy a new CD Rom.  I have an HP Pavillion a815n (Pentium 4) with XP.  Older computer but still is fine for lil ole us.  

Saturday, August 20, 2011 10:51 PM
  • Arthur,

Respect Dude. Worked a treat I am impressed

BuzzerB

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:44 PM
  • Hi Arthur Xie,

I have tried the above to resolve my TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222AB ATA Device not being found  but I cannot find the class that you have mentioned.  I can't see the device in Device management - but can see it in the BIOS - I am so frustrated!! Any help would be really gratefully received.  I've tried for so many hours now - I've hotfixed - I've uninstalled - I've checked cables - I've restored - ....!!! Thanks if you find the time to help. SuzannaCan't find the class number - closest is 66 - not 65issue which is the same as all the other posts- but cannot find the control class as shown in the 

Monday, April 09, 2012 11:32 AM
  •  

Delete filter driver
    =====================

Reinstall driver
    =====================

4. Restart the computer.

Is the issue resolved?

Hope it helps.

I dont have "Upperfilters" and "Lowerfilters" can you send me your RegBackup file???

I really dont know how to fix that problem :(

Saturday, April 21, 2012 1:56 AM
  • I have a TSST blu-ray drive on my Samsung laptop using Windows 7 64-bit.  It came with the machine and was working fine for a long time.  Now it has stopped recognizing factory movie DVDs that I put into it.  I tried your advice and removed upper filters from the registry.  Then uninstalled the driver.  It reinstalled when the computer rebooted, but the drive still does not recognize a disc.  Sometimes it spins a few times and stops, and other times it just spins and spins and spins until I open the drive.  The computer window shows BD-ROM Drive (E:), but never comes up with the title of a disc.  Do you have any other advice.  I don't have any burn programs that I have installed.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 11:47 AM
  • my problem is very similar, only my computer tells me, a driver is disabled. i dont know how to solve it by enabling that driver so i can read discs.
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 2:08 AM

• --
    --
    "Ashley Killett" wrote in message news:c86371f8-791a-42bc-bc29-9fa831212245...
    my problem is very similar, only my computer tells me, a driver is disabled. i dont know how to solve it by enabling that driver so i can read discs.
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 8:15 AM
  • THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! :D

P.s. this also helped me fix error code 19. (Deleting the Upper and Lower filters then re-installing drivers automatically) Windows 7. :)
    • Edited by Kuehnast Saturday, December 15, 2012 10:32 AM
    Saturday, December 15, 2012 10:32 AM
  • Dear Arthur Xie

I have read the way you guided nguyendiep to resolve his problem with the DVD ROM. I have tried to follow the procedure since i do experience that same problem. My DVD Rom just stopped working and it is not even listed into the computer. when i insert the cd it runs and the green light blink for sometime and then it becomes quite. In my PC registry, there is neither Upperfilters" nor "Lowerfilters. What should i do. PLEASE HELP

Fnandy.

Monday, December 24, 2012 12:44 AM

• --
    --
    "Fnandy" wrote in message news:00072cce-78c8-4021-951a-5c5cc0b3bd74...

Dear Arthur Xie

I have read the way you guided nguyendiep to resolve his problem with the DVD ROM. I have tried to follow the procedure since i do experience that same problem. My DVD Rom just stopped working and it is not even listed into the computer. when i insert the cd it runs and the green light blink for sometime and then it becomes quite. In my PC registry, there is neither Upperfilters" nor "Lowerfilters. What should i do. PLEASE HELP

Fnandy.

David Candy
    Monday, December 24, 2012 2:16 AM
  • hello

my mother has the same problem with her computer. and I followed all of the steps above and still had no luck. her computer doesn't mention upper/lower filters at all so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Monday, January 07, 2013 5:22 PM
  • The drive may be faulty.

--
    --
    "kiyonna" wrote in message news:aa7f0010-03ad-46d6-932f-1762f4d21469...

hello

my mother has the same problem with her computer. and I followed all of the steps above and still had no luck. her computer doesn't mention upper/lower filters at all so any advice is greatly appreciated.

David Candy
    Wednesday, January 09, 2013 8:50 AM
  • Thank you so much! I had tried everything to fix it and nothing worked. I finally stumbled across this and it worked like a charm.
    Monday, March 04, 2013 10:23 PM
  • Did you end up finding a solution to your problem? Mine also has the same issue.
    Saturday, April 06, 2013 8:32 AM
  • Thanks so much, my drive works perfectly again... I was about to go out and by an external drive.
    Wednesday, May 08, 2013 2:55 PM
  •  I was ready to take my computer to the Geek Squad and pay out the nose for Tech Repair.  However, after taking a really deep breath and forging ahead with a fair amount of anxiety and trepidation, I followed your instructions exactly and was able to fix the problem myself. I feel like a real smarty pants now!

Thank you so much!

Treesawree

Friday, May 24, 2013 6:08 AM
  • Thank you Sir; worked perfectly.
    Sunday, June 02, 2013 7:35 PM
  • Hi Arthur,

I was beyond scared to mess with the regedit, but I followed your advice and it worked!  I can't tell you how happy I am.   Now, there is one person on a little island in Canada who wishes you well for all your hard work.

A thousand thanks!

Monday, June 24, 2013 6:50 AM
  • Hi Arun,  Thanks for your advice.  Added to Arthur Xie's advice, I was able to take care of my problem.  I didn't know that I had to go to "Edit" and then click "Delete" to get rid of the data for the upper and lower filters.  My problem happened when I downloaded iTunes to my PC.  iTunes asked to be the default CD burner and CD player rather than Media Player and I think that was when the problem occurred.  Or maybe the problem occurred because I downloaded iTunes from iTunes.com instead of Apple.ca (which I'm told is a better site to download iTunes).  Many thanks!

Monday, June 24, 2013 3:58 PM
  • Hi Arthur,

I have the same issue but in my regedit list I have about 20 instances of this 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318

Do I need to delete upper and lower filters for all?

I did the first one but nothing changed...and I am nervous about uninstalling the driver for my cd drive in device manager...will it for sure re-install automatically when I reboot?

Thanks for your help - need to get my drive back to install a new printer from a cd.

Please ignore - rebooted and my cd drive has re-appeared...thanks though - would not have been able to fix it without your help...

Chris

• Edited by ChrisOakley Thursday, August 01, 2013 3:14 AM
    Thursday, August 01, 2013 2:52 AM
  • Hi, Just FYI I ran into the same problem where al of a sudden my PC would not Recognize Ether of the CD-RON-DVDs and in hardware they had the " ! " can not used driver bad, missing or corrupt!  I tried to reinstall and it just said the drive was the newest one and was fine! So I looked it up on here and saw your fix listed above "Delete Filter Driver" !!!   YES! It worked like a champ!!!    I'm running Windows HP 7 64bit on a Gigabyte Motherboard with and AMD 6 Core Unlocked Bulldozer CPU @ 3.4GHz 16GB RAM and 4 TBs in HDDs and Tones of Software! I don't "Over Clock" Anything Cause its SO fricking Fast NOW! LOL!  (O; What ever caused it? I'm not to sure but its still going on! Or, Happening! and your FIX! IS THE FIX!! All is well again and everything is working great! Its now 11-11-13 so years later this FIX is still Valuable! Thank You SO Much...   (o;

If your having this problem? This FIX WORKS!   (o;  

Delete filter driver
    =====================

Reinstall driver
    =====================

4. Restart the computer.

Is the issue resolved?

Hope it helps.

Monday, November 11, 2013 7:56 PM
  • Arthur Xie,

Thanks very much for this solution to DVD-ROM player not working on Windows Vista system!!

I had the same problem as most on this thread and I read your instructions - BINGO!! Working like a charm (i'm quoting someone elses words) But I'm very pleased and happy. My drive is not that old and I couldn't understand for the life of me why  this was happening - quite frustrating to say the least. Plus like most you get so frustrated you're ready to go out and buy another!!!

So Thank you very much!! Very helpful.

PS It is 2013, Dec. and this solution fixed this problem!!

• Edited by Mktgqueen Tuesday, December 10, 2013 7:28 PM
    Tuesday, December 10, 2013 7:26 PM
  • Do you know how to solve the same problem on windows 98?
    Sunday, December 29, 2013 4:49 PM
  • I would like to say, THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH! - I couldn't say it enough. :D
    Sunday, February 02, 2014 1:34 PM
  • Thanks for your introduction.. my problem also fix with your tutorial.

Thank you very much again.

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 4:07 AM