none
Windows 7 "Basic" Theme

General discussion

• Hi everyone.

First of all, I have to say the Windows 7 Beta is amazing. It's fast, responsive and I love the ribbon interface in Paint!

I do have one problem.
    OK, is it just me, or does the Windows 7 "Basic" theme look ugly? The colours are dull and the title bars along with the close, minimise, etc. buttons are very unattractive - exactly as they were in the Vista "Basic" theme. To me, XP looks way better than these "Basic" themes.

So, it would be great to include an XP theme in Windows 7, in the way Windows Classic themes are included in XP and Vista. Better yet, can those of us who don't have the appropriate graphics cards have more customization options?

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 7:58 PM

All replies

• I think the idea of the "Basic" theme is to reduce graphics load of Windows to be used in other apps. i.e. Gaming. Having fancy title bars, icons etc. take up extra memory from the graphics card that could be put to better use in applications and games.

My graphics card isn't the best and by default I have aero effects on but when I load my game Win7 automatically changes to Basic mode.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 8:22 PM
  • I know the point is to reduce graphics load but XP doesn't use much resources and still looks good. I'm not saying basic has to have transparency or fancy/complex effects, just better colours and design.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 10:18 PM
  • The basic theme was designed to match as closely to the Aero frame design as possible.  The colour was chosen to work well with the 'Default' glass colour, and to match the button designs of Aero.

If the theme was drastically different to Aero, imagine the confusion when some apps switch to the basic theme for whatever reason.

Personally I would have liked the option for Basic to be in various colours, or for it to match your Glass colour, and for all UI elements that are blue, to adapt to your colourisation colour.

But sadly as the Basic Theme has to be compatible with Xp era apps, they couldnt do a total re-write to the theming engine.

Saturday, January 24, 2009 3:31 PM
  • it still seems unnecessarily ugly.  it's the neglected stepsister to aero.

Saturday, January 24, 2009 3:55 PM
  • No, you're absolutely right about the Basic color scheme. It looks awful. There's not enough contrast to clearly read the icons, and the color is unprofessional. A giant step back in usability.

The Vista beta included a black Basic interface instead of the goofy-looking powder blue that they eventually shipped with. At least the Vista final product left the poor taskbar alone, shipping a nice black color instead.

They seem to have finally messed that one up, too! What a shame.

They already have the code and the graphics for a black theme, as found in Vista beta. Why not include at least ONE option for those of us stuck with a non-WDDM driver (as my laptop is)? I don't understand this. Apple wouldn't put up with such an eyesore...attention to UI detail is part of the reason for their rising success.
    Monday, March 09, 2009 6:58 PM
  • There is a problem already but I cant attach an image to show you can I?
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 1:34 AM
  • Doesn't look like it! What is the problem?
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 5:55 AM
  • As I say I cannot upload a picture because my MS friends are too scared it may give someone a virus or other thing that gives it a bad name.
    Friday, March 13, 2009 1:08 PM

• You meen something like this!!!
    Saturday, May 09, 2009 6:38 AM
  • Hm, are you saying that you got to the Aero interface even though Basic is enabled or even though your video card doesn't support Aero? I could never get to that when I had Windows 7 nstalled. (Sorry--not sure what you're getting at!)

Thanks for the screeshot!
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 1:02 AM
  • Nope, the right pic is in other computer, but without transparency enabled
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 1:32 AM
  • What do you think about this (modified) "Windows 7 Basic" theme ?
    How to modify see here.

Windows 7 blue taskbar and transparent window frame

• Edited by Konst-33 Sunday, May 10, 2009 5:42 PM
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 5:37 PM