none
Windows 7 Media Center Issues

Question

• I deleted the media library in AppData to force a refresh.  It is taking absolutley ages to reload my library.  Looking at the Music section, it is loading an album per minute or more.

My media is stored on Windows Home Server so it is going through the network to get at the files.  My media player will go into sleep mode after about 10 minutes so it could take a very long time to complete.

I could turn off Sleep and so on but I wonder if there is a faster method.  Media Center is unresponsive while all this is going on.  Should I be doing this in WMP instead.  It would be better if this was all done though a Windows Service in the backgound would it not.

I was prompted to try this action because I reorganised my photos and when I ran my favourites it loaded 6 pictures and showed them over and over again.  That would seem to be another issue but thought I would try to fix it by reloading the library.  Are picures controlled through the Media Library?

Further to photos, I spent some time rating a load of them but when I copied them to the server, although I could see the ratings in Windows Explorer, I could not see the ratings in Media Center (Was the Media Library refreshing this information or something?).

Very frustrating as I seem to have crippled Media Center for a day or two by simply moving my photos and reloading them with new names and ratings.

It doesn't help that the internal workings of Media Player/Center are a bit of a mystery. Why should loading media render the MC unusable? Why isn't it better at reflecting changes in the media?  Why do Movies take so long to appear and why do deleted ones take so long to vanish from the list?

How do I determine what is slow?  My network connections are wired.  My Media Player is a Revo with a Dual Core Atom.

It's a great system until it breaks like this.

Saturday, November 24, 2012 11:54 AM

Answers

• 

If someone can confirm that WMC is indeed not the way to reload a library.  I would have expected the same response from WMP and WMC.

I would have also suggested to load the library from within WMP itself. I have very little experience with WMC, but I do know that WMC uses the WMP process (wmplayer.exe) in the background for accessing the library. The communication between these two processes might slow things down but that's only a guess.

Finally any tips for improving the accuracy of the Movies secrion.  It seems to show deleted movies for days, maybe weeks.  Irritating at best. 

Is this only in WMC or also in WMP? If it's in WMP too then this should also be fixed by reloading the library.

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk

Saturday, November 24, 2012 3:51 PM

All replies

• Stopped WMC and got a message about a corrupt library.  Think I got that because I stopped the process rather than any actual problem.

Loaded WMP and that seems to be going faster so maybe WMC is just not very good at loading the library or doesn't rovide timely user feedback, compounding this with becoming unresponsive while the Library is loading.

Wish this was a Windows Service with some simpl,e statistics I could see.

Will report back on whether my picture woes have been solved by reloading the library.

If someone can confirm that WMC is indeed not the way to reload a library.  I would have expected the same response from WMP and WMC.

Finally any tips for improving the accuracy of the Movies secrion.  It seems to show deleted movies for days, maybe weeks.  Irritating at best. 

Happy to code in .NET or write a batch file if someone has an idea of good housekeeping chores that can be run or scheduled.

Saturday, November 24, 2012 12:19 PM
  • 

I would have also suggested to load the library from within WMP itself. I have very little experience with WMC, but I do know that WMC uses the WMP process (wmplayer.exe) in the background for accessing the library. The communication between these two processes might slow things down but that's only a guess.

Is this only in WMC or also in WMP? If it's in WMP too then this should also be fixed by reloading the library.

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk

Saturday, November 24, 2012 3:51 PM
  • It would seem that WMP is the way forward.  I opened it, set hybernate to 2 hours and went out.

All was reloaded when I returned.  It would seem that WMC is dead slow when reloading a library.  They should really fix that because it crippled the machine for a day.

My photo favourites also worked better after the relaod so the library must control those too.

The only issue that remains is that the WMC photo favourites seem to show a lot of the same photos over and over again which is slightly frustrating but I think it's down to the coding of the module rather than anything I am doing.  Again, it is a great module which could benefit from the minor tweek it would take to not show the same photo twice.

Monday, November 26, 2012 9:21 AM