none
Windows 8 keeps freezing

Question

• I am really losing my temper with windows 8.1 :( it keeps freezing but the keyboard is responsive (I can loads the start screen) and the mouse works but clicks take like 10 seconds to respond. Sometimes I can't do anything at all and I have to hard reboot my PC, others it goes away after 2-3 minutes but then it does it again 5 minutes later. I have reset my pc and used system restore to try to resolve the problem but no such luck. I haven't updated my PC using Windows Updates in case there was a bug in one of the updates that caused the freezing but that doesn't seem to be the problem either.

I have done sfc /scannow and it's fine

Can anyone help? Otherwise I will have to lose my warranty and go back to good old windows 7

Specs: 

Toshiba Satellite C50D-A-13G

AMD A6-5200 Processor (2.0 GHz, 2 MB cache)

1TB storage

AMG A6-5200 APU with AMD Radeon HD 8400 Graphics

8GB RAM

Graphics Memory 4GB

• Edited by Srhh Sunday, January 26, 2014 2:43 PM
    Sunday, January 26, 2014 2:34 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description,you have reset your PC,right?

Based on my search,the laptop pre-install Windows 8.1.

So, I suggest you use tool to check your Hard Disk to see if there are any bad sectors or other errors.

Regards,

Kelvin hsu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 7:38 AM

All replies

• I would suggest you to start from memory test using memtest86.

http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

If nothing seems suspecting, you can check the processes consuming large amount of memory.

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sunday, January 26, 2014 5:42 PM
  • Another thing you could do is perform a clean boot (Boot without 3rd party services running)

Click the Start, and type "msconfig"
    Services Tab
    Hide all Microsoft Services check box

Then disable all non Microsoft services
    Reboot

Does the system still perform the same.

Note: When System hangs but Keyboard and Mouse works its generally a software issue.

Brad Held http://windorks.wordpress.com

Sunday, January 26, 2014 6:09 PM
  • same as before :( it's really annoying
    Monday, January 27, 2014 7:09 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description,you have reset your PC,right?

Based on my search,the laptop pre-install Windows 8.1.

So, I suggest you use tool to check your Hard Disk to see if there are any bad sectors or other errors.

Regards,

Kelvin hsu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 7:38 AM