none
"Files needed to display video are not installed..." in Media Center

Question

• When I try to play videos in Vista RC1 Ultimate, I instantly get an error dialog saying:

VIDEO ERROR
    Files needed to display video are not installed or not working correctly. Please restart Windows Media Center or restart the computer.

I have installed the latest NVidia-compatible graphic card device drivers, PowerDVD 6 (not on trial), but no video files (wmv, divx) will play.

Friday, October 13, 2006 6:07 PM

Answers

• Windows Media Center video needs a minimum Video Card memory of 64 MB, so if it's less than 64 MB, you should get this error.

Good luck

Sunday, October 15, 2006 8:08 PM

All replies

• Windows Media Center video needs a minimum Video Card memory of 64 MB, so if it's less than 64 MB, you should get this error.

Good luck

Sunday, October 15, 2006 8:08 PM
  • I have n Asus Barebones with motherboard having integrated GeForce 6150 Card. Now this only has 32MB on board even though it is configured to use a further chunk of sstem memory as shown here

Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 4.9
      Determined by lowest subscore
    Memory (RAM) 992 MB 4.5
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 6150 2.3
    Gaming graphics 271 MB Total available graphics memory 2.4

Of couse i am getting the Files needed to display video are not installed.." message when I try to view live TV.

I wonder is it possible that Media Centre is checking only the "onboard" video memory and not the total figure.

the Aero Theme works fine. Transparent windows etc.

Paul

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 11:21 PM

• I am trying to find a fix for this issue.  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 3:01 AM
  • Hi, having the same problem, not to sure what to do, i am trying to access my mpeg movies of my dvd's i have made on my xbox 360 does it work no, can i play them in media center yes lol, Tipcial

Steve

Friday, July 13, 2007 3:04 PM
  • Same error here.  I can play the sample videos just fine on my PC and XBOX360. 

Other videos work just fine on the PC under media center, but fail when playing on the XBOX360 Media center extender.

The videos that cause issues on the XBOX are AVI from YouTube, and MPG created from my video camera.

Error msg is the same one in the title of this thread.

PC is a Compaq Presario
    Vista Home Premium
    AMD Athlog 64X2 4000+
    2GB RAM
    DirectX 10.0
    all latest Win updates

Video card details:
    nVidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430:
    ForceWare version 158.18
    Total available graphics mem: 623 meg
    Dedicated video mem: 128 meg
    System Video mem: 0 meg
    Shared system mem: 495 meg
    video bios version 5.61.32.25.02
    IRQ 22

Saturday, August 04, 2007 7:29 PM
  • Getting the same issue.  Sample vids work, vids from my Sony dcr-sr200 don't play.

Have nero installed but have the Intervideo Video Decodeer ver 6.0.85.0 set as my perferred decoder, and it plays the vids just fine on my PC, just not my XBOX 360

PC is Intel Dual Core *forget actual speed but is fairly fast.

Vista Ultimate

2 gig

DirectX 10 latest

Video Card info

nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX

forceware version :163.11

Video Bios version 60.80.08.00.35

IrQ 16

I hope someone out there is listening

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 7:45 AM
  •  

has anyone had any joy with resolving this?
    Sunday, September 16, 2007 7:39 PM
  • Yes,

I removed Avast Virus protection and it started working, I have heard that AVG does not cause this problem.  But I have not tested it yet.

Hope it helps.

Sunday, September 16, 2007 9:12 PM
  •  Mhertogh wrote:

Yes,

I removed Avast Virus protection and it started working, I have heard that AVG does not cause this problem.  But I have not tested it yet.

Hope it helps. 

I was trying to play an AVI and apparently that isn't supported.  I converted to WMV and now its fine.
    Sunday, September 16, 2007 10:39 PM
  •  

I've the same problem with AVAST, check this link

Regards

Monday, October 01, 2007 1:16 PM
  •  

Video problem fixed after weeks of reloading entire MCE mulltiple times - dxdiag refused 3D and to be repaired in anyway on ATI AIW 9800 Pro AGP 8x.!

I had this same earlier post error from MCE, Media player 9/10/11 all played video fine - but the Media Centre immediately threw up the video card/driver error and black screened on video files.

The final fix was to uninstall the latest MCE version ATI 9800Pro AIW drivers completely with the uninstall utility in the add remove programs, restart, then run Driver Clean Pro set to  'ATI uninstall' - tho this part may not have been essential.

Then I searched through my old disks and found an ATI AIW 9700 driver disk which had come with that card I'd bought used. It says ATI Radeon Drivers ver 7.97 The actual loaded driver version is dated 6.10.04 and is ver 6.14.10.6458 This disk has drectX 9 on it - which may load or repair during the instal, its impossible to tell.

I used the windows wizard whch was 'helping me' find a driver and pointed it at the cd - it found and loaded drivers. I restarted and ran direct x tests and both passed!! HOORAH! then I tried the WMP11 and all good with video.

Next test was the crucial one - will the MCE play video - start the MCE and  - - no errors! VIDEO PLAYS:-)

So, I thought to check the device manager to see if all is well and no yellow splodges - and find ONLY ONE - a yellow splodge on ATI WDM Rage Theatre Video NSP. So what to do.... pickup another old ATI driver disk, this time from a TUL theatre TV Tuner card, load it in the CD Rom and point the device manager update driver to it from the Rage theatre error splodge. Would it work?? hey presto, the driver loads (TUL Theatre 550 must be the same as theatre chip on ATI 9800 Pro AIW), so it picks up the driver fine and now the MCE is good and the device manager has no errors. the TUL theatre Rage Theatre driver I'm using is dated 2.1.2005 and is ver 6.14.10.6300 Obviously the 9700 cards theatre chip driver was not the same - or its theatre driver sould have loaded - from the earlier Cd.

So my advice to all is to use older drivers of the same genre. As in my case they don't have to come from the same cards CD but intelligently from the same family. Older drivers, ones released with the cards, or even with the cards earlier descendants are strong in my view and in this case it took a hundred wasted hours of reloading the complete MCE OS over and over to several HDD's before I found this cure. The best part is that it works and it repairs DX 3D and MCE Video play... simply and quickly - provided you have or can download the older drivers!.

Direct X is a tuff call on the 3D test with shonky drivers and I found the latest ATI 9800Pro MCE drivers listed on ATI/AMD website shocking failures. Way less then solid. Every time I reloaded MCE the MCE video was doubtful, and the forced Dot Net 2 preload and the 9800 Pro MCE latest driver just about allways ensured the dxdiag 3D test would fail, and then the MCE video would throw the error. I hope this solution can help others with this infuriating MCE video error. :-)

system - Shuttle SN45GV3, AMD socket A 3200+, 512 ram, NVidia chipset, ATI AIW 9800 Pro.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 7:16 AM
  • For some reason I can't get my MCE to reconize my video card in Media Center and it returns a error "Files needed to display video are not installed..." in Media Center . I have the following configuration.

MSI MB MS-7100 (K8n Neo Platinum/SLI

Computer: AMD Athlon 64x2 dual core Processor 4200+ 2.21 GHz 3.00 GB Ram:

Display: nVida GeForce 6600 Integrated RAMDAC; Vram=256.0 MB Monitor=Dell 1905FP 

Video Drivers=Main-nv4_dsp.dll Version 6.14.0011.6375 (English) WHQL Logo'd:Yes VDD:n/a DDI Version: 9 (or higher)

My DirectX Version: DirectX9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

I do not know what to do in order to get Media Center to allow me to use the video driver to watch Live TV or listen to the radio. Could you help me? 

Wednesday, December 05, 2007 2:04 AM
  • I started receiving this error after installing software to convert movies to a Zune format. After reinstalling my video card drivers, and trying to use a restore point, nothing worked. When I tried to listen to music via the zune software, it would act like it was playing, but no sound was played.

I checked the speakers through the sound tab in the Control Panel. When I clicked into it, it said there was a driver that was affecting the performance of my speakers and asked if I would like to disable it. I told it yes, and after closing the panel, I was able to listen to music normally. I opened Media center and started up a DVD and it played normally.

I hope this helps others that are having the same problems I did.
    Friday, April 25, 2008 6:10 PM
  •  

Surely if you install a MCE Vista approved tuner card this does not relate `to the video files issue. The Hauppage card is one I have used in the past with good results?
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 10:13 AM
  • I posted back in Dec 2007 and it seems apparent to me that Microsoft really does not care for it's customers. I almost forgot that I posted my previous comment. I couldn't get any help then so, I just quit using M.C.E. and went with WinTV2000 and both the TV tuner and Radio works great. I have a Hauppage TV & Radio tuner card and I have a G-force 6600 with 256 video ram but this did not seem to make a difference.  

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 1:56 PM
  • will this help me out when tring to play regular cd of songs
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 6:59 PM
  • @ Tamela:
    No.
    Also, since your issue is, frankly, completely unrelated to this very old thread, you should start a new thread (it's a new issue, after all) in this forum, and list out:
    - system specs and/or make/model (full model# from your build tag preferred);
    - what OS (Vista, or something else?), 32- or 64- bit version, and if you have service-pack 1 installed or not;
    - what application (Media Center, Windows Media Player, or a third-party app) you're using;
    - what, exactly (step-by-step) you are doing, what you expect to happen, and what does happen (including any displayed error messages, if applicable.)

The more complete the information, the more able we are to help you in a timely manner.

Thanks for your understanding,
    Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 12:32 AM
  • ok bringing the original issue back to the top, i am getting the warning as the main title states

i have an nvidea 9800gt so it is not lack of graphics memory,

i am using mcafee anti virus (did uninstall just to check)

but most important in my mind, the only change for me is from beta to rc1 so is it perhaps a windows issue?

Friday, May 15, 2009 7:54 PM
  • ok bringing the original issue back to the top, i am getting the warning as the main title states

i have an nvidea 9800gt so it is not lack of graphics memory,

i am using mcafee anti virus (did uninstall just to check)

but most important in my mind, the only change for me is from beta to rc1 so is it perhaps a windows issue?

Windows 7, I'd imagine?  If so, this is the wrong forum, friend. 
    This forum is for Windows Vista - you should re-post your question (starting from scratch) in the Windows 7 Media forum.
    Please post full hardware specs on that machine, what file type(s) you're trying to play, what does play correctly, if it did or did not work in Build 7000, etc.  The more details you can provide, the easier it will be for people to help you.

-Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 1:22 AM
  • Hi Chris,

Did notice it was the wrong forum after the post was posted,but the funny thing was I created my title and the forum trying to be helpful should me similar thread titles but I didn't notice it was not in the same area.

thanks again
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 7:06 AM
  • Thank You!  That solved the problem!!!

John Newbould

Thursday, March 01, 2012 2:08 AM