none
Is Windows 7 ISO downloaded from DreamSpark supposed to be bootable ?

Question

• I've downloaded Windows 7 from DreamSpark (using their SDM downloader). After unpacking I have an 2.4GB ISO. I assumed I'm supposed to burn this and then boot from CD/DVD reader.

I used LINUX to burn. But it should not matter what software is used for burning, as long as the program knows how to burn an image.

I burned three DVD's. None of them boots. I have burned bootable CD and DVD with this (LINUX) program and this burner before.

The DVD's look fine. I copied one to harddisk and ran a diff without problems.

If the DVD is inserted while running my old XP, it *will* autostart with the "Install Windows 7 menu". So why on earth won't it boot ? It is supposed to be bootable, isn't it ?

I noticed I can start "setup.exe" from inside XP. Either doubleclicking "setup.exe" or by using the menu after inserting the disk. Will this work ? Will I get an option to make a clean install instead of an upgrade ?

(I aborted before it got very far, it started "copying files for install" which I thought was a bit eager without first asking, for instance, *where* to install first)

The DVD: as it is supposed to look ?

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 3:14 PM

Answers

• Is Windows 7 ISO downloaded from DreamSpark supposed to be bootable ?

Yes, when you burn it as an ISO image it should be bootable.

I noticed I can start "setup.exe" from inside XP. Either doubleclicking "setup.exe" or by using the menu after inserting the disk. Will this work ?

Yes, it will work to start the install by double clicking the setup.exe file.

Will I get an option to make a clean install instead of an upgrade ?

You can only do a custom install going from XP to Windows 7.

How To Install Windows 7 when you have XP:  
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 4:32 PM
  • Hi,

First, I suggest try the following steps to check whether the DVD is bootable.

1. Turn on your computer, on the startup menu, choose "BIOS setup," or "BIOS settings," or something similar.

Procedures vary depending on the BIOS manufacturer. Usually, you must press a key (such as F2, F12, Delete, Esc) or a key combination immediately after you turn on your computer but before Windows starts. If the Windows logo appears, you need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer again.

1. The BIOS setup screen appears. On the BIOS setup screen, choose the option called "Boot order," or something similar. Boot order settings might also be listed under "Advanced settings" or something similar.
    2. Select your DVD drive as the first startup device.
    3. Save the setting changes, and then exit the BIOS.
    4. Restart your computer, and then insert this disk. If it could start the installation, it is bootable.

And this ISO image should be bootable according to your screenshot, which is not related to the burning software. From my understanding, bootable means any disc that can start up a program without actually going into Windows, while your concern seems to related to the “AutoPlay”. This is settings is according to your running operation system not related to the DVD media. I suggest you can turn on the AutoPlay about “Software and Games” in control panel.

For your reference,

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-AutoPlay-settings

Regarding the upgrade issue, I would like to explain that there is no way to upgrade to Windows 7 from XP. We have to back up the data and then perform a clean install to upgrade to Windows 7. Thank you for your understanding.

The following article for your reference,

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7?SignedIn=1

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, April 19, 2012 9:52 AM

All replies

• "standarderror" wrote in message news:c89d3b0c-a74c-4a58-9a3b-15fcf05828ac...

I've downloaded Windows 7 from DreamSpark (using their SDM downloader). After unpacking I have an 2.4GB ISO. I assumed I'm supposed to burn this and then boot from CD/DVD reader.

I used LINUX to burn. But it should not matter what software is used for burning, as long as the program knows how to burn an image.

I burned three DVD's. None of them boots. I have burned bootable CD and DVD with this (LINUX) program and this burner before.

The DVD's look fine. I copied one to harddisk and ran a diff without problems.

If the DVD is inserted while running my old XP, it *will* autostart with the "Install Windows 7 menu". So why on earth won't it boot ? It is supposed to be bootable, isn't it ?

I noticed I can start "setup.exe" from inside XP. Either doubleclicking "setup.exe" or by using the menu after inserting the disk. Will this work ? Will I get an option to make a clean install instead of an upgrade ?

(I aborted before it got very far, it started "copying files for install" which I thought was a bit eager without first asking, for instance, *where* to install first)

The DVD: as it is supposed to look ?

An 'Upgrade from XP to Win 7 is always a Clean install - the old OS is put into a 'windows'old' folder, which can be deleted afterwards if you want.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012 4:07 PM
  • Is Windows 7 ISO downloaded from DreamSpark supposed to be bootable ?

Yes, when you burn it as an ISO image it should be bootable.

I noticed I can start "setup.exe" from inside XP. Either doubleclicking "setup.exe" or by using the menu after inserting the disk. Will this work ?

Yes, it will work to start the install by double clicking the setup.exe file.

Will I get an option to make a clean install instead of an upgrade ?

You can only do a custom install going from XP to Windows 7.

How To Install Windows 7 when you have XP:  
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 4:32 PM
  • Hi,

First, I suggest try the following steps to check whether the DVD is bootable.

1. Turn on your computer, on the startup menu, choose "BIOS setup," or "BIOS settings," or something similar.

Procedures vary depending on the BIOS manufacturer. Usually, you must press a key (such as F2, F12, Delete, Esc) or a key combination immediately after you turn on your computer but before Windows starts. If the Windows logo appears, you need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer again.

1. The BIOS setup screen appears. On the BIOS setup screen, choose the option called "Boot order," or something similar. Boot order settings might also be listed under "Advanced settings" or something similar.
    2. Select your DVD drive as the first startup device.
    3. Save the setting changes, and then exit the BIOS.
    4. Restart your computer, and then insert this disk. If it could start the installation, it is bootable.

And this ISO image should be bootable according to your screenshot, which is not related to the burning software. From my understanding, bootable means any disc that can start up a program without actually going into Windows, while your concern seems to related to the “AutoPlay”. This is settings is according to your running operation system not related to the DVD media. I suggest you can turn on the AutoPlay about “Software and Games” in control panel.

For your reference,

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-AutoPlay-settings

Regarding the upgrade issue, I would like to explain that there is no way to upgrade to Windows 7 from XP. We have to back up the data and then perform a clean install to upgrade to Windows 7. Thank you for your understanding.

The following article for your reference,

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7?SignedIn=1

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, April 19, 2012 9:52 AM
  • I have a similar issue, however I am trying to install windows 7 I downloaded from dreamspark onto a brand new computer I just assembled, the USB I have is bootable but I have no idea how to load it.
    Saturday, June 02, 2012 2:17 AM