Is there a new registry setting for this or perhaps a hotfix that will
    allow moving files on the same volume WITHOUT copying the security
    attributes?

Best regards, FlyingHorse
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 10:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

The article is for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP. The function will not work in other systems.

In Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7, in order to copy the directory to the destination path by conserving the security settings( ACL with all ACEs), you may consider using the Robocopy utility as what Cory mentioned.

robocopy <Source> <Destination> /e /sec

Ex. robocopy c:\home E:\home /e /sec

/e: Copies subdirectories. Note that this option includes empty directories.

/sec: by using this option, we can copies files with their security.

Robocopy

You can also try RichCopy 

Arthur Xie

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 9:17 AM
  • This isn't a answer to Fiyiunghorse question. We also use that 

MoveSecurityAttributes and now have a case open with MS to add this back in to Windows 7. how could you miss something like that?

Monday, August 23, 2010 4:16 PM
  • Anyone have an update on this?  This is a major roadblock for us migrating to Windows 7.  Without the MoveSecurityAttributes registry key, users are able to move folders/files from one folder to another and cause security breaches since the original permissions are kept which can include users/groups that should not have access in the new destination..

I dont understand that MoveSecurityAttributes is a must when sharing files.  Those that are not using it must have a nightmare trying to maintain coherent permissions on the file servers.. or havent realize that end-users moving document on the same file share are also copying the original permissions.

The suggested answer has nothing to do with the original problem

Thanks

Martin Lafontaine

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 6:36 PM
  • PATHETIC! I just discovered this very recently. Another of the countless other things broken in the Vista/7 Explorer shell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymuos
    Friday, August 26, 2011 12:32 PM
  • Tuesday, March 27, 2012 6:10 PM
  • In order to use MoveSecurityAttributes as you were able in Windows XP/Windows Server 2003, you will need to install the following hotfix:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2617058

Hope this helps!

Alexander Sklar
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 4:00 PM
  • Nice Alex.... didn't I just say that?
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 4:11 PM
  • Ah yes, you did :-) I've marked your post as the answer, thanks for helping out!

This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 4:47 PM