none
Windows 7 Enterprise to Windows 8 Enterprise upgrade error during compatibility check: "Windows won't install unless each of these things is taken care of"

Question

• ...the subject line describes the error. This is on a Lenovo T430 laptop. Here's the full message:

Windows won't install unless each of these things is taken care of. Close Windows Setup, take care of each one, and then restart Windows Setup to continue.

<message6 xmlns="">Make these changes: </message6>

<message3 xmlns="">Uninstall these applications. Open Control Panel and search for "uninstall a program."</message3>

<message3 xmlns=""></message3>Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver 

...except that I've already uninstalled the Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver. Here are the things I've tried:

1) Uninstalling the app from "Uninstall a Program" and rebooting.

2) Manually reinstalling the drivers after downloading the originals from Intel, rebooting, running the uninstall from "Uninstall a Program", and rebooting.

3) Searching for and removing any instance of "Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible" from the registry and rebooting.

4) Verifying that the program files location of the app/drivers is completely gone and rebooting.

5) Verified that there is no reference to it in MSCONFIG Services or Startup.

6) Turning off USB 3.0 support in my laptop's BIOS.

It's frustrating: I've done all of the above. At this point, there is no instance of Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible in my device manager, my Windows "Uninstall a Program" listing, the registry, the default file location, or anywhere else I can find.

Why is the Windows 8 upgrade compatibility check still flagging that the software exists? How can I get through to the next step of the upgrade?

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 3:36 PM

Answers

• Its DesfargesG, i ve found the "problem"

After uninstalling Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver with add/remove programs (or through the uninstall button) i ve still the app Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver  installed from the Win8 setup point of view which asking me to "Manually uninstall" the apps

No trace of any intel USB app into the add/remove programs, Registry or device Manager.

But the Win8 setup considers any file included into the system folders (c:\Windows, C:\program Files, C:\Program Files(x86), etc...) to be part of an installed apps!!!!

And I ve the Intel USB 3.0 source install files into my Cache folder of my download manager!!!! into C:\Program Files (x86)\Free Download Manager\Cache

So do a file Seach on you C: drive of any file with the string "usb3" as part of its filename and move them (and maybe their parent folder) away from the C: Drive

Guillaume DESFARGES - MVP Setup and Deployment - http://www.forum-microsoft.org

• Proposed as answer by KazerMVP Tuesday, October 02, 2012 7:47 AM
    • Edited by KazerMVP Tuesday, October 02, 2012 7:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by i3 Support Center Tuesday, October 02, 2012 2:50 PM
    Tuesday, October 02, 2012 7:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please install Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver first, then go to Control Panel to uninstall the driver for a test.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=21129
    Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, September 20, 2012 6:40 AM
  • Hi Niki,

Thanks for the reply, but I have done this already, as described in #2. That did not work.

Thursday, September 20, 2012 10:59 AM
  • Same here for me, there is a détails:

As you can see the Intel USB App accessible throught Add/Remove is Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver but I don't see any trace of Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver  (without the (R)) into add/remove, device management and registry.

Sunday, September 30, 2012 9:44 PM
  • Its DesfargesG, i ve found the "problem"

After uninstalling Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver with add/remove programs (or through the uninstall button) i ve still the app Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver  installed from the Win8 setup point of view which asking me to "Manually uninstall" the apps

No trace of any intel USB app into the add/remove programs, Registry or device Manager.

But the Win8 setup considers any file included into the system folders (c:\Windows, C:\program Files, C:\Program Files(x86), etc...) to be part of an installed apps!!!!

And I ve the Intel USB 3.0 source install files into my Cache folder of my download manager!!!! into C:\Program Files (x86)\Free Download Manager\Cache

So do a file Seach on you C: drive of any file with the string "usb3" as part of its filename and move them (and maybe their parent folder) away from the C: Drive

• Proposed as answer by KazerMVP Tuesday, October 02, 2012 7:47 AM
    • Edited by KazerMVP Tuesday, October 02, 2012 7:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by i3 Support Center Tuesday, October 02, 2012 2:50 PM
    Tuesday, October 02, 2012 7:47 AM
  • Thanks, that fixed the issue! 

In my case, it wasn't in the folder you mentioned, but your advise helped me find the right folder: 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Lenovo\System Update\session\g1ys12ww

...that's one of the product files for the Lenovo System Update tool. After I removed that folder (I verified the contents were indeed the cached version of the USB3 driver installer), the Win8 upgrade continued without a problem. Thanks again!

Tuesday, October 02, 2012 2:52 PM
  • Thanks, that fixed the issue! 

In my case, it wasn't in the folder you mentioned, but your advise helped me find the right folder: 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Lenovo\System Update\session\g1ys12ww

...that's one of the product files for the Lenovo System Update tool. After I removed that folder (I verified the contents were indeed the cached version of the USB3 driver installer), the Win8 upgrade continued without a problem. Thanks again!

Yes i think its the same for every USB3 drivers files, verify your update manager cache, download manager cache, file manager cache, etc.

Thursday, October 04, 2012 9:46 AM
  • I got a bsod after I uninstalled the usb 3.0 driver from the win 8 upgrade screen in win 7- what now? p89z77 v delux

Sunday, October 28, 2012 11:36 AM
  • I got a bsod after I uninstalled the usb 3.0 driver from the win 8 upgrade screen in win 7- what now? p89z77 v delux

It will be better for you that you create a new subject

From my pooint of viewx its more a Win7 Driver problem, not Win8 upgrade program

Sunday, October 28, 2012 12:10 PM
  • ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE Still in windows 7, after the uninstall of the driver. I had to install it to uninstall it and now bsod on reboot just before win8 can be installed.
    Sunday, October 28, 2012 2:05 PM
  • Ok I did post a new topic, but it is part of my upgrade difficulty :)
    Sunday, October 28, 2012 2:08 PM
  • Thanks, that worked perfectly! :)
    Wednesday, October 16, 2013 1:21 PM