none
Boot speed in Windows 7 is very slow, due to a file that can't be loaded

Question

• First: Windows 7 Performance overall is very good.

The boot itself is very fast too, but:

There is one file that can't be loaded, i encoutered that problem already in Windows XP Professionel (SP3) and Windows Vista Business (SP1, 64 bit) too.

In the bootlog-file it says "Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NDProxy.SYS"

However, the file exists and according to many forums a lot of users got a problem with the file in different operating systems.

But how can i fix that problem? Is there already a patch for Windows 7? (There is one for Vista too, but like many other users too, i got the message that the patch is not for my operating system.)

The boot time with 2 74GB raptor harddisks is about 30 seconds, but at least 20 seconds are "doing nothing time" when windows trys to load the file.

I do not even know where i do need the file for, not even what the file is doing.

I am using windows 7, build 7100, 64 bit.
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 10:52 AM

All replies

• Hi Joyrider,

NDProxy.sys is a network driver. Please don't delete it.
    There could be two kinds of problems:
    1) The network driver has resource conflicts with another driver sharing the same IRQ. If that's the case, disable the conflicting device. May be hard to identify, the safest (time-consuming) way is loading one driver after another in safe mode.
    2) The network driver is used by malware (trojan...) that tries to connect during the boot process, causing slowdowns. Run a complete AV Scan to exclude or confirm this.
    At the moment, I have no other ideas. Hope it helps.

Mob. AMD64 3000+, 1 G RAM, Mob. ATIRadeon9700, 20x DVDRW, C:XPSP3 (55G),D:WIN7 (25G),F:DATA (250G)
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 11:29 AM
  • Hi,

i already disabled the 2 onboard-networkcards and the firewire-interface.

The only active networdcard is the avm-wlan usb stick.

I already scanned my computer multiple times, this week, last week and already with vista too. I am using NOD32, that scanner shouldn't be too bad. ;)

I really don't know what makes windows unable to load the file/driver. :(
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 11:48 AM
  • Joyrider,

This file has been around since Windows XP, and if you do a quick search, you'll see hundred of people equally puzzled about why their system fails to load the driver. The short answer is that if you're not actively using a proxy, you don't need to worry about it. I would check, though, to see what you have listed under Network Adapters in Device Manager. Many people report a delay on boot being caused by this file when they have one or more "ghost" network devices enabled, and uninstalling or disabling them usually clears this up.
    -Alex
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 9:35 PM
  • Hi,

i know, but... i don't have any ghost network devices installed.

Or is there a "hidden" path in the registry where i could have a look?

Edit: I don't worry about the driver that can't load. I only worry about the slow boot.
    Monday, June 01, 2009 8:10 AM
  • Check for any filter driver...
    Monday, June 01, 2009 12:59 PM
  • Well, i deinstalled some filter drivers, but:

there is also a non-pnp-device named "NDProxy" using the "NDProxy.sys".

The problem with this device is: When i deinstall it it returns after the next boot. And if i deactivate it the boot is as slow as with the device activated.

Is there any way to get this file and this device out of my system?
    Monday, June 01, 2009 4:32 PM
  • Joyrider,

You could go ahead and trying uninstalling the device, then moving the file elsewhere on your drive so that it likely won't be seen by the OS and won't return on the next boot.
    -Alex
    Tuesday, June 02, 2009 12:04 AM
  • I did, but still got the problem :(
    Friday, June 05, 2009 2:26 PM
  • Just another try: If device manager shows a NDPROXY device, there should be one. I'm only confused that there's a generic or family name ("NDPROXY") and no real name for the device. At least it should say "unknown NDPROXY device". But anyway, these type of devices (and the corresponding driver) are normally used for telephony services over network connections. Are you sure that there is nothing like that in your system?
    I simply don't understand why Windows should try to load a driver - and then, fail to load it - if a device that requires this driver doesn't exist at all. It could be helpful if you look and give us information what the event log says (Control Panel -> Administration tools -> Event Viewer).
    Mobile AMD64 3000+, VIA Apollo K8T800 chipset, 1 G RAM, ATIRadeonMobility 9700, 20x DVDRW, C:XPSP3 (55G),D:WIN7 (25G),F:DATA (250G)
    Friday, June 05, 2009 3:39 PM
  • Event Viewer says nothing about the error

And all telephony services etc are deactivated, even the automatic wlan configuration is turned off
    Friday, June 05, 2009 8:27 PM
  • Still got the problem. Updated all the drivers a few times now, but no change.

Maybe the problem will be fixed with the final version of windows 7.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 7:27 PM
  • So, did you fix the problem in the end ? I have the exact same problem. I've been spending hours and hours on the internet but I haven't found any helpfull answer to be honest :( Please help since this boot time problem is really annoying !

Monday, September 12, 2011 3:06 PM